Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Canberra?

Anyone in Canberra?

Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

IRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really nice
Question Anyone in Canberra?

Hi,

We are planning to move out late Jan 07. My other half thinks he will have a good chance of getting a job in Canberra :scared: (he's in I.T).
Has anyone been there? It has a lot of bad press for being boring etc and just wondered if it was true?

Any advise greatly received!
Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Canberra?

Sasbear works in Canberra - you could try sending her a PM

Ann
Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

IRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Anyone in Canberra?

Originally Posted by BertieB
Sasbear works in Canberra - you could try sending her a PM

Ann
Thanks, have done
Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone else in Canberra? There must be more than one person out there!!!
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:28 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IRBaboon
Anyone else in Canberra? There must be more than one person out there!!!

I live in Canberra.

ZX.....
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:32 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

I moved there in Aug '04 and looked for work in IT.

While there seemed to be plenty of jobs on offer, I had a temporary spouse visa and that ruled me out of most of them. In a lot of cases you have to be a citizen for starters, then need clearance. I was offered a job in Sydney in Dec '04 and I've lived here since.

Just about all IT jobs in Canberra are government related - either with the big departments (like Defence, Tax & Health) or the companies that provide services to them.

Is it boring? Compared to, say, London, definitely - it's more of a big town. But it depends on what you want. If you're after a pleasant suburban life that's easy (hardly any traffic jams) with plenty of sunshine and hardly any rain (though that has its downside), then you may like it. It's also very pretty - in the better areas.

If you want nightlife or somewhere with a bit of action (and beach!), then I'd look elsewhere.

Would I live there again? Mmm, possibly - I'm visiting at the weekend and like to get back there occasionally. But it's always good to get back to Sydney too.

Big.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Anyone in Canberra?

Originally Posted by Big Galah
I moved there in Aug '04 and looked for work in IT.

While there seemed to be plenty of jobs on offer, I had a temporary spouse visa and that ruled me out of most of them. In a lot of cases you have to be a citizen for starters, then need clearance. I was offered a job in Sydney in Dec '04 and I've lived here since.

Just about all IT jobs in Canberra are government related - either with the big departments (like Defence, Tax & Health) or the companies that provide services to them.

Is it boring? Compared to, say, London, definitely - it's more of a big town. But it depends on what you want. If you're after a pleasant suburban life that's easy (hardly any traffic jams) with plenty of sunshine and hardly any rain (though that has its downside), then you may like it. It's also very pretty - in the better areas.

If you want nightlife or somewhere with a bit of action (and beach!), then I'd look elsewhere.

Would I live there again? Mmm, possibly - I'm visiting at the weekend and like to get back there occasionally. But it's always good to get back to Sydney too.

Big.
Thanks for the reply BIG. We have PR visas, so not sure if that would rule out my OH for the government related jobs?
Based on the info you've supplied and other research I think Canberra sounds pretty nice; no traffic jams, clean, cheap to eat out and plenty of open air spaces!
Old Dec 12th 2006, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
I live in Canberra.

ZX.....
OK. I asked for that

Any advice for someone thinking of moving to the area?
Old Dec 12th 2006, 10:12 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IRBaboon
OK. I asked for that

Any advice for someone thinking of moving to the area?

You have to come with an open mind. Don't be to quick to judge it. The beach is a 2 hour drive. It's a nice drive though....
If your renting at first be prepared to pay at least 6 months in advance because the rentals go very quick as there is a high demand.

Anymore advice? Well make sure you drop in and have a beer.....

ZX
Old Dec 12th 2006, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

You have to come with an open mind. Don't be to quick to judge it. The beach is a 2 hour drive. It's a nice drive though....
If your renting at first be prepared to pay at least 6 months in advance because the rentals go very quick as there is a high demand.

Anymore advice? Well make sure you drop in and have a beer.....

ZX
Thank you. We like beer
Old Dec 13th 2006, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Canberra.

ZX.....
Hey - why you not working???? get back into that truck lol
Old Dec 13th 2006, 12:45 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Hey - why you not working???? get back into that truck lol
Must be at the girlfriend's house...
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Must be at the girlfriend's house...
LOL
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:02 am
Just Joined

Jules In The Nile is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Although I dont live in Canberra my family do. If your other half is looking for an IT role personally I think its best to be based in Sydney (there's IT roles everywhere), however this all depends what life style you are looking for / how old you are etc.
Socially I found there is NOTHING to do there (33yrs old) and found the place way to quiet and quite depressing to be honest. I do visit to catch up with the family but other than that I would never go back after one visit.
Hope that helps!!!
Jules
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Canberra, Calwell to be more precise ....

Why does everyone who comes here want a job in I.T. ?!?!?!?

Canberra is great, Australia's best kept secret.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.