Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone can buy a home in Australia now

Anyone can buy a home in Australia now

Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:36 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone can buy a home in Australia now

With good news the FRIB has now allowed anyone living in Australia or any other country to buy any home, new or old.
This now means that you can be living in UK and buy a home in Australia and benefit from the housing boom and the rental market.
At present a four bed low set home in North Lakes/ Mango Hill are selling for around $400/$450 and the rent you will get is around $450/460 per week, so even if you cant migrate at the present time you can buy in Australia and use the home when you are ready to move to Australia.
A example of what a real estate will charge you to look after your home is approx 6% of the weekly rent.
If you have any questions please ask
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:56 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone can buy a home in Australia now

Originally Posted by Trevski
With good news the FRIB has now allowed anyone living in Australia or any other country to buy any home, new or old.
Huh? That's not what the FIRB's website says:

Foreign persons are prohibited from acquiring established dwellings for investment purposes (that is, they cannot be purchased to be used as a rental or holiday property), irrespective of whether they are temporary residents in Australia or not.
There are some exemptions but not enough to make what you said accurate. Or has there been some new annoucement that changes what's still on the website?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:00 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Huh? That's not what the FIRB's website says:

There are some exemptions but not enough to make what you said accurate. Or has there been some new annoucement that changes what's still on the website?
It is to be updated but it has been made public even on the news channels here in oz,it means that people can have a loan in the UK for a house in oz
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

This now means that you can be living in UK and buy a home in Australia and benefit from the housing boom and the rental market.
At present a four bed low set home in North Lakes/ Mango Hill are selling for around $400/$450 and the rent you will get is around $450/460 per week, so even if you cant migrate at the present time you can buy in Australia and use the home when you are ready to move to Australia.
A example of what a real estate will charge you to look after your home is approx 6% of the weekly rent.
If you have any questions please ask
How comes local investors aren't snapping up the North Lakes/Mango Hills homes, problems selling them by any chance? There's plenty of money sitting on the sidelines and yet you have to get overseas investors to have a look!!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:30 am
Living our life wherever

Originally Posted by pomtastic
How comes local investors aren't snapping up the North Lakes/Mango Hills homes, problems selling them by any chance? There's plenty of money sitting on the sidelines and yet you have to get overseas investors to have a look!!
I can only say about some homes near to where i live and in the UK people have heard on North lakes, but unlike them i would rather not live on North lakes, i do live in mango hill that gives us larger blocks and some great bush land behind us
I would agree with you that there are better places that would give a better return on your investment
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:37 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

That's really bad news..
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

It is to be updated but it has been made public even on the news channels here in oz,it means that people can have a loan in the UK for a house in oz
That's not what I heard on the news. I heard they were cracking down on overseas investors buying residential property.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
That's not what I heard on the news. I heard they were cracking down on overseas investors buying residential property.
That's the Govt just jawboning because it has become an issue with the masses and an election is looming.

At the end of the day, more money is needed to be brought in Australia, it keeps the housing ponzi scheme going as too many investors, first home buyers are leveraged up to the max and any small fall in house prices would be felt by the Aussie banking system.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:44 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

That's weird 'cause "here in Oz", the big story in real estate has been the opposition/media suggestion that foreign buyers are inflating house prices (link: http://www.theage.com.au/national/ho...0331-revk.html ) and undermining RBA interest rate changes (link: http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ices-jump.html ) , although the government has been denying it's a critical problem so far (link http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin ). And despite all that, none of them mentioned any recent relaxation by FIRB, even though you would have thought it would provide a prime opportunity for bashing the government for further liberalising foreign property ownership. And I have to say that I didn't find any announcement from FIRB mentioned on Google news.

So...would you happen to have a link or further information? Is it possible that in your original post you may have been talking in broader, introductory terms than the slightly more technical reality?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

The idea of overseas landlords buying and renting out property in Australia does not sound appealing to me. However, I think it WILL be good news for people here on temp visas who do not want to throw money away renting.

We are here on a 457 visa with a view to becoming permanent. We bought our house here a year ago but only after much argy bargy with the FIRB people. I would have been heartbroken if we had to rent until we got PR (which is still a way off).
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Benefit? What boom? With interest rates going up and rental income not even covering the mortgage, buying an investment property is the quickest way to the poor house.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
However, I think it WILL be good news for people here on temp visas who do not want to throw money away renting.
Why buy when it is cheaper to rent?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RenShen
However, I think it WILL be good news for people here on temp visas who do not want to throw money away renting.
Renting is half the price of buying. I'd rather live in a decent suburb with good schools and infrastructure than a bogan one so I can just say 'I'm a home owner'.

Just say the folks on a temp visa decide to go home in 2 years? Their house could of fallen in value by 5-10%, they would have estate agents fees to pay (expensive in Aus $10 - $30K) and wouldn't of paid off any mortgage principal after 2 years. They'd be in for a big lump sum loss and would of been better off renting at a cheaper price than owning and saving the extra in a bank account.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Renting is half the price of buying. I'd rather live in a decent suburb with good schools and infrastructure than a bogan one so I can just say 'I'm a home owner'.

Just say the folks on a temp visa decide to go home in 2 years? Their house could of fallen in value by 5-10%, they would have estate agents fees to pay (expensive in Aus $10 - $30K) and wouldn't of paid off any mortgage principal after 2 years. They'd be in for a big lump sum loss and would of been better off renting at a cheaper price than owning and saving the extra in a bank account.
Say the temp visa people bought a house @ $500K, house devalues by just 5% and they have to pay an agent $20K to sell. They'd be looking at a $45K loss plus the other expenses of getting in and out, I'd say around $3K for settlement fees both ways.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Not to forget the stamp duty (upwards of $12K). Council Tax at $2000 a year plus a bit if maintenance & Insurance, add another couple of thousand a year. You must have rocks in you head to buy a house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.