Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Brisbane into Freshwater fishing??

Anyone in Brisbane into Freshwater fishing??

Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:44 pm
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice
Default Anyone in Brisbane into Freshwater fishing??

I'm heavily into match fishing here in the UK, and I'm getting a little worried about what's going to happen to my hobby when I move to brisbane??

Anyone else in this situation, or has been in this situation and now converted to fishing in Oz??
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in Brisbane into Freshwater fishing??

Originally Posted by GrantP
I'm heavily into match fishing here in the UK, and I'm getting a little worried about what's going to happen to my hobby when I move to brisbane??

Anyone else in this situation, or has been in this situation and now converted to fishing in Oz??
Yes I too am heavily interested in Match Fishing. Im taking all my kit over with me!! Ive already signed up a couple of Opens Canbera Classic and New South wales Open. (Its fished in early December.) I too will be in Brisbane .

I had a phone call from a guy the other day who travels down to fish in sydney (matches.) but its hell of a drive. Most of the match fishing is done everywhere but Brisbane.! but its a growing sport amongs expats and australians alike.

Dont worry too much, I intend on fishing matches if it kills me. Its been a big part of my life too, every weekend fishing opens in and around York.

Keep in touch and I will sort you out with the info you need when you get here... when you coming?

I leave for Brisbane NEXT WEDNESDAY!! :scared:
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:23 pm
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

Originally Posted by itsasecret
Yes I too am heavily interested in Match Fishing. Im taking all my kit over with me!! Ive already signed up a couple of Opens Canbera Classic and New South wales Open. (Its fished in early December.) I too will be in Brisbane .

I had a phone call from a guy the other day who travels down to fish in sydney (matches.) but its hell of a drive. Most of the match fishing is done everywhere but Brisbane.! but its a growing sport amongs expats and australians alike.

Dont worry too much, I intend on fishing matches if it kills me. Its been a big part of my life too, every weekend fishing opens in and around York.

Keep in touch and I will sort you out with the info you need when you get here... when you coming?

NEXT WEDNESDAY!!!?? .....how exciting is that!!! ....you $hitting yourself?? *hahaha*

It's going to be early next year for me!
I was just wondering whether it'd be worth me sending all my stuff out there, or whether I'd have to take up sea fishing as an alternative, in which case my Match kit will be less than useless!

I have heard from a contact in the Welsh national squad, who fished a world championship over there! He told me they have all the fish we have, it's just not as popular a sport, so it might be hard to find regular matches!
Aparently, carp are a complete pest in Oz, and you are required to kill everyone you catch in some states!!! :scared: ...not sure how true that is???

I'm big into rivers! Especially the Severn at Shrewsbury! I fish the opens there every weekend through the winter!
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:24 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Fishing here is basic to say the least. Most people use a small 8'-10' rod and ledger in the rivers. Not seen a pole or a continental style box at all. Competitions are held on beaches, reservoirs, boats and rivers and there seems to be no distinct division between the sea anglers and the freshwater lads as there is in U.K. It's still a relaxing pastime just very different to what your used to.
I heard there was match style fishing down in NSW close to Sydney but it's a days drive to get there.
Program on T.V last night claimed that there were thousands of Bull sharks in the Brisbane river. Can't confirm as I live on the Mary river a long way north.
We catch a varied amount of stuff in the river most of it edible.
Ceri may give you more of an idea Brisbane wise as she's the mad fisherwoman of that area.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:31 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

NEXT WEDNESDAY!!!?? .....how exciting is that!!! ....you $hitting yourself?? *hahaha*

I was just wondering whether it'd be worth me sending all my stuff out there, or whether I'd have to take up sea fishing as an alternative, in which case my Match kit will be less than useless!

I have heard from a contact in the Welsh national squad, who fished a world championship over there! He told me they have all the fish we have, it's just not as popular a sport, so it might be hard to find regular matches!
Aparently, carp are a complete pest in Oz, and you are required to kill everyone you catch in some states!!! :scared: ...not sure how true that is???

I'm big into rivers! Especially the Severn at Shrewsbury! I fish the opens there every weekend through the winter!
Carp are a huge menace to the native species and yes you have to kill everyone you catch here in QLD. There are other species on the exterminate upon catching list and you just buy the booklet for approx 10 bucks to give you all the up to date sizes and number you can keep. Whilst the names of the fish here are the same as U.K the actual species are very different. There's some really scary stuff here potential killers I'll look out a few web sites for you.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

I taken the lot.! 2 poles, feeder rods/ waggler rods, 2 platforms seatbox and everything else!

They dont have all the species in QLD , but in other states they have roach, tench, perch and carp etc..

check out this website for links to the Australian Federations of Match Angling. http://www.users.bigpond.com/bedden/
it maybe down at the moment.??

It will be a new experience trying the sea fishing , (means buying new tackle) But i still want to do the odd match, maybe we could set up a club in Brisbane if not we could all get together and get ourself down to Sydney now and then to fish the festivals. They have weekly matches and a winter series.
Qld dont have the same species as Adalaide/sydney/melbourne
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:56 pm

Gees you one mad fisherman mate, Brisbane to Canbera is 1200k. Thats like saying to the missus I'm just off to fish a match love and driving from London to the Milan open. Good luck with it all
Here's a few web sites
http://www.cairnsfishing.com/riverfishing/fish.htm
http://www.barrierreefaustralia.com/...g_species1.htm
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11417.html
Old Oct 18th 2004, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cresta57
Gees you one mad fisherman mate, Brisbane to Canbera is 1200k. Thats like saying to the missus I'm just off to fish a match love and driving from London to the Milan open. Good luck with it all
Here's a few web sites
http://www.cairnsfishing.com/riverfishing/fish.htm
http://www.barrierreefaustralia.com/...g_species1.htm
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11417.html
I know its mad, but its the closest thing Australia has to a "festival" so it should be a good few days.
dont intend on going every week.
Infact its only 1 hr away if you fly, but with all that tackle, im sure they wont be too happy when i turn up at the airport, so it leaves driving im afraid. I know someone who does it quite a lot, so hopefuly I can get a lift off him
Old Oct 18th 2004, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

I know its mad, but its the closest thing Australia has to a "festival" so it should be a good few days.
dont intend on going every week.
Infact its only 1 hr away if you fly, but with all that tackle, im sure they wont be too happy when i turn up at the airport, so it leaves driving im afraid. I know someone who does it quite a lot, so hopefuly I can get a lift off him
#

I am well into Stillwater Trout fishing here in the Midlands, UK. However i think fly fishing facilaties are a little limited around Melbourne apart from one trout fishery i know of near Ballarat. Ive sold 80% of my gear (broke my heart).

However I'm taking up prospecting and recently bought my first gold detector, I suppose its fishing in the dust.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 1:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cresta57
Fishing here is basic to say the least. Most people use a small 8'-10' rod and ledger in the rivers. Not seen a pole or a continental style box at all. Competitions are held on beaches, reservoirs, boats and rivers and there seems to be no distinct division between the sea anglers and the freshwater lads as there is in U.K. It's still a relaxing pastime just very different to what your used to.
I heard there was match style fishing down in NSW close to Sydney but it's a days drive to get there.
Program on T.V last night claimed that there were thousands of Bull sharks in the Brisbane river. Can't confirm as I live on the Mary river a long way north.
We catch a varied amount of stuff in the river most of it edible.
Ceri may give you more of an idea Brisbane wise as she's the mad fisherwoman of that area.
Not much of freshwater fisho myself, I prefer salt. Hubby is the fresh water fisho, although he doesn't bother with it much here, and generally fishes the salt like me. although now and again I do fish the Pine dam, Bass , yellow belly,etc etc. I have posted a few pics somewhere of some fish I caught there at that dam.. nothing brilliant , but they are generally the size of the fish that you're likely to catch there, and caught tons of them this size on my first fresh water trip ( I've never tried fresh water fishing before this) .. damned if I can find it, but it was when "Florida" was still around.. I was talking to him about it in the thread.

Brisbane river - yes, I can confirm it's definitely full of Bull sharks throughout the river. I generally fish for them in the summer months,in the salt - never tried fishing for them in the fresh reaches of the river, but they are definitely in the fresh part too. The river and feeder creeks are full of them in the summer - they start to bite around now and onwards, with peak summer being the best, around the xmas period.
There is a guy that I know who fishes for them in the fresh parts of the river ( Ipswich) tagging for study ( not the same guy who was on tv catching the babies, I've never heard of him before. I watched the same programme)

Freshwater fishing as a whole - you're better off driving a good few hours ( 6, 6 and a half) up towards Rockhampton region. Freshwater fishing is far better. Big Barra. Hubby has been up there recently and caught a few big barra on lures, the largest one went to just over a metre.. lost that one at the side of the bank. But I have a photo of the next largest he caught on this computer that he emailed to me when he was up there . I'm trying to find some pics of the typical " Brisbane river whalers" but I don't think I have any on this computer. ( totally wrong name , but that's what the locals here call them "river whalers". They are Bull sharks and not from the whaler family.)
.................................................. .....................
P.s North pine dam Bass ( Brisbane) , found one .. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=dam

One of hubby's Barras which he has recently caught ( hard to tell from the photo the size, it's on a bit of a slope bank, but this is about 4 foot from tip to tip the of tail ( not the fork)
Attached Thumbnails Anyone in Brisbane into Freshwater fishing??-barra1.jpg