Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone bought a business?

Anyone bought a business?

Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default Anyone bought a business?

I've just returned from my trip to oz and whilst we were in Port Douglas the sun, sea and beer got us thinking about other options available to us. We already have permanent residency visas (now stamped!!) but instead of doing the same job different location, we started to think about the possibility of a completely fresh start and maybe buying a business (we had consumed a lot of alcohol by this point and were passing estate agents with cafes etc.. for sale).

Most of the businesses did not include buildings so I was wondering how easy it is to get a business loan in Oz to help purchase a business (we'd only have around £40k to put to it), especially as we don't really have anything to secure the loan against other than business name/fixtures.

We've never run a business before, but hey no harm in investigating all avenues however unrealistic some may be
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:57 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone bought a business?

my thoughts would be, it is a change too far (but you may view me as being risk adverse).
There is so much to learn about being in a new country, that to add to that learning about the ins & outs of a business, how to run the business, the market for that business, what is a fair price is etc that wrong decisions now, or rather better informed decisions could be made a little further down the track.
The risk adverse in me would say at least one has perm job to guarantee income before starting to develop biz plan/buying of biz.

It would depend on atitude to risk, plans to say buy a house or other commitments like children.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:06 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about buying a business is that they are rarely for sale for the reasons that they are advertised. If they were that great they would not be.

Of course, one in a blue moon you might find something thats a genuine tale but other than that....buyer beware.

Besides, I have never found it that hard to simply start a business if you wanted to and have a neat idea.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
I've just returned from my trip to oz and whilst we were in Port Douglas the sun, sea and beer got us thinking about other options available to us. We already have permanent residency visas (now stamped!!) but instead of doing the same job different location, we started to think about the possibility of a completely fresh start and maybe buying a business (we had consumed a lot of alcohol by this point and were passing estate agents with cafes etc.. for sale).

Most of the businesses did not include buildings so I was wondering how easy it is to get a business loan in Oz to help purchase a business (we'd only have around £40k to put to it), especially as we don't really have anything to secure the loan against other than business name/fixtures.

We've never run a business before, but hey no harm in investigating all avenues however unrealistic some may be
If you don't have any other assets to secure the loan against the banks won't really want to know unfortunately.

Franchising is another possibility - perhaps you should look into that.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

fly2hi is on a distinguished road

Ditto....all of the above.

Think about the sort of business you would like to run and then find a job in one. Even if the money is crap, it will tell you everything you need to know and could save you making an expensive mistake. As long as one of you is earning decent money it may be worth investing the time to find out if your dream is achievable...or in fact desirable. Best of luck whichever way you go.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

We have been here 4 years. We have made lots of mistakes in that time. The idea of buying a business just after arriving makes me shudder. Spend a year (or 3) getting used to the way things are here. It is so much different. Don't be in a rush.

Mike.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

P.S. Avoid franchises.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

If you were looking at going into a business my advice would be to start small. Have you considered an internet business?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:30 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
P.S. Avoid franchises.
I disagree with you on that - there are some excellent franchise opps available in Oz.

If this is your first business it is an excellent way to start out.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Pommysteve has a spectacular aura aboutPommysteve has a spectacular aura aboutPommysteve has a spectacular aura about

Buying a business downunder at anytime can be a daunting prospect, no matter where you are. Some will say, as indeed they have on this thread; the move alone is stressful enough, let alone start a brand new enterprise. But in response I would say back in 2001 I persuaded my wife to quit her recently promoted senior associate position with a leading city investment bank for not only a brand new life downunder but an entirely new career. Oh and only 12 months before she had given birth to our first son.

By and large we found our business surfing the net. Having identified half a dozen possible ventures I flew out armed with just my video camera. That was February 2001. By June of the same year we took the keys, and lease responsibility of a brand new business. We now have three branches employing a workforce of 21. So mate, if you believe you can make the business work, run all the figures over carefully ... just do it. There is no good or bad time to start and you may as well do it all at once. Yeah, okay so the first 12 months was a huge learning curve, what with all the forms Aussies love to have completed but looking back it wasn't that daunting.

Sounds obvious: Taking on the extra load of starting or running a business should NOT be your main concern. Checking the business out thoroughly, seeking sound advice and doing the research ... focus on that. Good luck to you in whatever venture you choose.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Pommysteve has a spectacular aura aboutPommysteve has a spectacular aura aboutPommysteve has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, forgot to mention. Business loans - Australian banks [generally] are not as flexible as some UK one's. Securing a business loan without security [bricks/land] can be tricky. I say "tricky" not impossible. We even own property back in London, with heaps of equity, mortgaged with HSBC ... yet HSBC Australia wouldn't even loan us the capital to expand or buy another business! But here's the good news. BankWest [I believe part of the Bank of Scotland] will provide a mortgage for certain leasehold businesses. I know this because we have just done it [so don't let anyone tell you otherwise!] The security is the leasehold. They won't do it for all businesses nor all leases. I'm told [but untested] that ANZ will also advance capital finance. Expect to pay however around 9%+.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pommysteve
Sorry, forgot to mention. Business loans - Australian banks [generally] are not as flexible as some UK one's. Securing a business loan without security [bricks/land] can be tricky. I say "tricky" not impossible. We even own property back in London, with heaps of equity, mortgaged with HSBC ... yet HSBC Australia wouldn't even loan us the capital to expand or buy another business! But here's the good news. BankWest [I believe part of the Bank of Scotland] will provide a mortgage for certain leasehold businesses. I know this because we have just done it [so don't let anyone tell you otherwise!] The security is the leasehold. They won't do it for all businesses nor all leases. I'm told [but untested] that ANZ will also advance capital finance. Expect to pay however around 9%+.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
I disagree with you on that - there are some excellent franchise opps available in Oz.

If this is your first business it is an excellent way to start out.
Franchises are for people who want to be self employed and still work for someone else.

I hate the fact that so many businesses here are franchises. Take Harvey Norman, you can't get an online price because they're all in competition with each other - you can even play them off against each other.

Mike.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:32 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Show on at mo, cpl in Port Douglas set up a shop... just a small touristy place...

shop and sav over 1 mill !
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:46 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
...shop and sav over 1 mill !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.