Old May 8th 2003, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone been to Tasmania?

Just wondering????

Pott.
Old May 8th 2003, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Spent Feburary this year driving around the island on holiday. beautiful scenery, bit like the South island NZ.

There is not a lot of jobs around, as the locals in power try to keep it the way it is. Thats great for the tourists but dosn't do a lot for the workers. They were in the midst of a severe water shortage on the east coast and they were argueing over the environmental impact of damming an obscure river to resolve the problem for the next 25 years.

Freynet Penisular and Wineglass Bay were superb, but just the best amongst many fabulous locations.

Looked at property prices and they were cheap even compared to Brisbane, but I would expect the weather to be pretty grim in winter (to much like Britian for my tastes now).
Old May 8th 2003, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kiwipaul,

Thanks for the reply, where are you living at the moment?

Pott.
Old May 8th 2003, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Beautiful place. Houses so cheap, but as usual that linked to the lack of work.

Locals were a bit funny in places, would stare at you, which I never understood as I look fairly normal, small, bonde hair late 30's so I couldn't get that bit at all. Drove around the whole Island very pretty, but noticed all these road signs were shot out, full of holes, can only assume it was bored teens there, (that was before the massacre there so I assume that may have improved now).

If anybody is truly looking for a beautiful quiet place where they can make their own living I'd say go there. We saw some beautiful ocean view, clifftop land for $14,000!! think you can still get similar bargains.
Old May 8th 2003, 9:19 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

:Lovely place - laid back atmosphere weathjer quite similar to UK most of the time (we had snow) probably NEVER quite as cold
Road system not like rest of australia think driving around Devon and Cornwall.
Loads of 'dead' land no scenery and no buildings (don't know why) unless something like salt marshes?
Old May 8th 2003, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Amazing scenery very green and lush - some interesting towns - on the mainland use to say that tasmanians have two heads - something to do with inbreeding (not my opinion).

Very cheap, people can be strange but most are friendly enough - when its cold its very cold - similar as someone else said to NZ South Island and perhaps Scotland

regards
Old May 8th 2003, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Was born and bred in Tasmania. Been in UK 10 years and have been back to Tassy every year since to see the folks and family, i.e. until they all bailed out last year and headed for the mainland (gold coast). Tasmania is very laid back, and its great for a holiday, but don't think I could ever live there again. Weather is very simliar to UK.

Tasmania is a lovely island though and well worth the visit, nice scenery, especially down the east coast from St Helens right down to Bicheno. The Freycinet National Park and Wineglass Bay is a must. West coast is a bit barren, but still worth the visit. Strahan is a nice little town on the west coast, where you can do the Gordon River Cruise. Cradle Mountain is also worth a visit, if you're into bushwalking.

Someone posted something about the road system being different from the mainland. I can't quite get to grips with that.
Old May 8th 2003, 1:41 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone been to Tasmania?

Yep went there for a holiday back in 96 and it will always hold a special place in my heart as its where I met my wife. Unfortunately she was from Hampshire so we had to apply the hard way upon our return to live in Oz.
Although we shall be living in Melbourne this time as Tassy is just a bit small town for my liking...but beautiful place for a nature holiday.
Simon

Melbourne - Sept 03
Old May 8th 2003, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We were there in January and have to say it is all very pleasant. Flew into Hobart, drove up to Launceston, thru Cradle Mountain onto Strahan and back to Hobart.

We were very impressed by it all. Strahan was absolutely beautiful. Hobart itself is hopping these days by Tasmanian standards. Prices are starting to accelerate like everywhere else. Have to say that the locals were friendly everywhere we went, and didn't actually see any results from the inbreeding program which the rest of Australia has alleged goes on. Poor Tasmanians are probably sick of those lame jokes.

I would live there in a heartbeat with the proviso being that I had enough money to go somewhere warmer when it got cooler.