Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone been having strange dreams?

Wikiposts

Anyone been having strange dreams?

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone been having strange dreams?

I'm one of those who hasn't completely settled in Australia and have suffered quite a bit of stress, anxiety over the past year or so, trying to adjust, questioning the move etc. etc.....

So I've had a few strange dreams - probably my over-active mind trying to sort out all my feelings.

Had quite a funny dream last night, thought it might amuse you all......... I dreamt I was back in England visiting my friend, this friend has quite a large house but in the dream her living room was tiny, there was hardly room to move. Anyway, I'm looking out at her back garden, it's really, really green and at the end of the garden there's a big castle! If I analyse this I'm thinking if we go back to England we're going to end up in a tiny house compared to what we have in Perth and obviously, the history part of UK is coming back to me!

There must be others who've had strange dreams since arriving in Australia?
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:25 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone been having strange dreams?

Originally posted by Kath

Kath

Not so much a dream, but probably related, do you ever walk down the street and 'recognise' people you know from the UK (though knowing its not actually them)?
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm one of those who hasn't completely settled in Australia and have suffered quite a bit of stress, anxiety over the past year or so, trying to adjust, questioning the move etc. etc.....

So I've had a few strange dreams - probably my over-active mind trying to sort out all my feelings.

Had quite a funny dream last night, thought it might amuse you all......... I dreamt I was back in England visiting my friend, this friend has quite a large house but in the dream her living room was tiny, there was hardly room to move. Anyway, I'm looking out at her back garden, it's really, really green and at the end of the garden there's a big castle! If I analyse this I'm thinking if we go back to England we're going to end up in a tiny house compared to what we have in Perth and obviously, the history part of UK is coming back to me!

May I offer a different interpretation for your dream Kath and show my positive side at the same time?

I think the English living room being small is because you felt very big now that you were back in England. It could hardly contain your new found happiness to be back in that great place. The castle was, I agree, to do with England's history in the sense that it is a clear symbol of your ancestry calling you back home and who could ignore such a call as that? What a great dream.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jayr
Kath

Not so much a dream, but probably related, do you ever walk down the street and 'recognise' people you know from the UK (though knowing its not actually them)?
Yes!! I've seen what I thought was my Mum a few times, she works in Sainsburys in England so every time I go to Coles I sometimes forget where I am and look for her on the checkouts. I must be losing it?!!
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Wilf
May I offer a different interpretation for your dream Kath and show my positive side at the same time?

I think the English living room being small is because you felt very big now that you were back in England. It could hardly contain your new found happiness to be back in that great place. The castle was, I agree, to do with England's history in the sense that it is a clear symbol of your ancestry calling you back home and who could ignore such a call as that? What a great dream.
Thanks Wilf, yes I'll go for your positive interpretation of the dream - I like that!
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath

Bodysnatchers.

Another thing not many are aware of: You know the way that you never actually meet someone in the UK who emigrated to Oz but did not like it even though we all know that about 50% do go back? You know all those holes everywhere in Oz? Two and two, mate, two and two.

They come at night (and they use this site to find you).
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:48 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

don't worry, I'm always getting strange dreams.. lol. Ever seen that Smirnoff (spelling) vodka advert.. the weird one when they are jumping from trains, upside down etc... well that's like my dreams... and as for hubby... I woke up once to find him staring at me in the dark.. he had just dreamt I was black (I'm fair skinned) and checking me out. Also he woke me up one night... this is going back years ago, with him yelling some b*stards just nicked my video (he had just bought a new video)... He actually thought it was real (this was in Sing)... you don't want to know half of my dreams.. lol. One thing which always puzzles me... I never dream about sex. I usually dream about "action" I'm always running

Cheers
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 3:23 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

On a related theme, for the first few weeks I found it really bizarre to be in the supermarket or shopping mall with people everywhere and I knew absolutely nobody. Your brain is accustomed to looking for familiar faces (friend or foe), but everyone's a complete stranger. It can be scary and a bit surreal. Even after 3+ months now I can go up to Adelaide and still get that feeling. Down here in Goolwa it no longer happens, I see faces I recognise, even if they are just people I say G'day to.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 3:38 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by welshpom
On a related theme, for the first few weeks I found it really bizarre to be in the supermarket or shopping mall with people everywhere and I knew absolutely nobody. Your brain is accustomed to looking for familiar faces (friend or foe), but everyone's a complete stranger. It can be scary and a bit surreal. Even after 3+ months now I can go up to Adelaide and still get that feeling. Down here in Goolwa it no longer happens, I see faces I recognise, even if they are just people I say G'day to.

This is a feeling I think that shocks most new arrivals with its intensity.

I remember coming home to my hubby 1 day and saying "thats better it's starting to feel like home, I just bumped into someone I know in the supermarket and had a chat!"

Paula
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:25 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

And do you still sometimes get that "S**t, I'm in Australia" feeling? Haven't had this for a while now but remember once at Coles just doing some shopping and it passed over, quite strange. Suspect this disappears in time, or perhaps increases! (Haha!)
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:28 pm
Karma Comedian

I've posted elsewhwre about watching a TV advert and thinking that it was on in the UK only to then realise that it wasn't (when it's for Milo, say... actually, can't be sure, did they sell Milo in the UK, I'm really getting confused now)
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

And do you still sometimes get that "S**t, I'm in Australia" feeling? Haven't had this for a while now but remember once at Coles just doing some shopping and it passed over, quite strange. Suspect this disappears in time, or perhaps increases! (Haha!)

Even Ozzies have that feeling.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 5:28 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

actually, can't be sure, did they sell Milo in the UK, I'm really getting confused now)
No Milo in the UK. Somebody here recommended it to me. Tastes awful.

Lots of the cough remedy ads over here are British with Aussie voice-overs. There's also the heartburn remedy ad with the fire-eater.

There's a VW ad running right now with the squeak that can't be found, then it turns out to be the sleeping wife's earing. My god that's got to be circa 1995 in the UK.

We also get the Malteesers ad with the girls in the old car driving around the roundabout and the malteesers rolling across the dashboard.

I can't make out if the Tettley ads are from the UK or not. Same style but perhaps different variations of the tea being sold.

Do I remember a Red Bull ad over here, or am I dreaming.

Any more ?

My god, I'd be lethal if I actually watched Aussie tv. I tend to avoid it.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 6:00 pm
Karma Comedian

That Jamie Oliver show thats on at the moment (Oliver's Twist), was that ever on in the UK or has it been made for international audiences only? The Australians seem obsessed wih him and in an epsiode yesterday he was describing somewhere in UK like he was talking to international and not UK audience. I like the way he has these 'friends' on his show who probably only ever sat next to him once on a bus.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 6:07 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

We bought our dog over to Perth with us. The other night I had a dream that she had no head!!:scared:
I think this must have something to do with the fact that we will have to save up a lot of money to get her back to the Uk when we leave here??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.