Reload this Page >

Anyone from Ballarat

Anyone from Ballarat

Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

fluffy_dassie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone from Ballarat

Hey!

Just wondered if there was anyone out there who is currenty living in Ballarat! Had my 457 visa granted and I'm due to fly out at the end of the month to start working at the university of Ballarat (Mt Helen campus). Is there anyone that can give me any advice on what to do, where to see, where to shop etc? I hope to get a car once settled. Any advice on areas of ballarat that are nice to live (rent) would also be welcome!

Fluff x
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone from Ballarat

We live in Geelong, so can't help you too much. Only to say we were in Ballarat at the weekend and have been there before and really like it. There are lots of shops in the town centre as well as lots of cafes and a brilliant chocolate shop. Mount Helen looked lovely and hope you find somewhere to rent there, realestate.com is a good site to look at for rentals and buying. Good luck
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Originally Posted by fluffy_dassie
Hey!

Just wondered if there was anyone out there who is currenty living in Ballarat! Had my 457 visa granted and I'm due to fly out at the end of the month to start working at the university of Ballarat (Mt Helen campus). Is there anyone that can give me any advice on what to do, where to see, where to shop etc? I hope to get a car once settled. Any advice on areas of ballarat that are nice to live (rent) would also be welcome!

Fluff x
Hi

Have you been to www.realestate.com.au

Mt. Helen and North Ballarat are the posh areas there. Still very good for rent and property purchase there compared to Melbourne - way cheaper and falling! Yae!.

Creswick is nice and other villages round about. Go up the hill to Daylesford and Hepburn Springs - this is also very nice. Spa country up there and very alternative in its popluations make-up. The annual gay festival for example there is fantastic at the end of Mid-Summa in Melbourne. It's real hoot.

Southern Star (Eureka Stockade?) - the reinactment I think it is called it worth going to see in Ballarat; meant to be very good!. There are so many things to do in Victoria. Personally I love the camping there and the scenery is stunning.

You can get the fast train to Melbourne from Ballarat in around 1 hour or so at the most, right to the city centre, then jump on the tram. STACKS to do in Melbourne!

Go on the tourism Victoria website and have a surf around.

I love the area, and although I am am an Australian citizen working in the Uk at the moment (also in academia actually -and I'd love a job at UOB, so well done! - holding a uni job in Australia is held in higher regard than in the UK I personally think, as there are less of them). I am working in academia in London and trying to d my Phd too! Argh!. I am about to buy a house in Creswick or North Ballarat or Daylesford / Hepburn - not sure where yet, but getting there.

You are moving to one of the nicest places in Australia I think with good networks, good prices etc. Victoria is lovely and the Murray River is worth going up to aswell. Good choice, good decision and good luck! You'll love it!

By all accounts the staff, whom I have met a couple of at UOB are very nice and welcoming of new members. Very good local community links in regional universities. I worked at Uni of Southern QLD for a bit and that is very similar in make-up and idea. The campus is lovely actually, and a little outside Ballarat itself, but not far. Beside one of the poshest housing estates about!

Good luck

Gordon
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dont live in Ballarat but the outlaws do and we visit often - DH was a Ballarat boy. It's a nice enough place to live and you will be spoilt for choice for a place to live - it's actually out on the Geelong Rd so on the other side of town from Creswick so Daylesford would be a bit of a drag every day. If you dont fancy living in town then you can head out to Buninyong, Yendon and that sort of area for a bit of country living. The poshest area to live would be around Lake Wendouree which, as of Christmas had about 250ml of water in it - maybe there is a skerrick more there now. Out on the other side of town away from the uni there is Alfredton which seems to be growing apace with quite a lot of new homes. I think there is also a new load of building going on out Sebastopol way which I dont think I would recommend although a friend has built there and is very happy. A lot of building around the uni too at Mt Helen and Mt Clear so you shouldnt have too much trouble finding something.

The road from the uni into town passes Sovereign Hill which is Ballarat's most famous attraction. Shopping - well, you have the Bridge St Mall which is sort of Bogan Central and then up Sturt St to Myers and the slightly upper classish sort of shops, or you have Wendouree Village which is a mall - not hugely big by city standards but big for Ballarat. Also many of the furniture and electrical shops out that way as well.

If you are into stitching there is an excellent needlework shop in Mair St 2 doors down from the nicest but most eccentric little wool shop I have ever encountered.

If you have kids you may want to look at the catchment area for the schools - the pick of the public HS is Ballarat HS which is out towards Alfredton. I dont know about the PS.

The weather can be very unpredictable - I have been there and had snow at Christmas when Canberra was having 40C and bushfires. It can be very (very) hot or very (very) cold. They are on serious water restrictions because the drought has really hit that area hard and there are little signs up in all the hotel showers telling you to keep to less than 3 minute showers. They have had a bit more rain this year but they still have a way to go and the surrounding areas still look parched compared with the green that you could see some years ago.

It's pretty much your average Victorian country town really.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

quayley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fluff,

I am orginally from ballarat and all the previous reponses are on the money. If you are working at the Uni and dont want to travel far to work Mt Helen, Bunniyong and Canadian are closest areas 2-5mins from the Uni and lovely Next best is central or Alfredton. These are 10-15 minutes from the Uni. We are living in Torquay but go back to ballarat regularly. My family and I have returned from the UK after 13 years (partner is a London girl) What are doing at the Uni? If you need any help with contacts in any particular area give me an email and maybe able to help.

quayley
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

onj2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fluffy_dassie
Hey!

Fluff x
Hey Fluff,
Most of Ballarat is nice although i dont like Wendoree much.
My partner and i have just bought a place in sebastopol.
We stayed in a cabin on a campsite until we got sorted.
You will need a wagon for sure!!
If you get stuck with anything we'd be glad to help.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

We are just outside of Buninyong, I was wondering how you were getting on. I wish id seen your message earlier I may have been able to help.

Feel free to PM me

Lisa
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

fluffy_dassie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello alll!!!

Thanks for all your replies...have just got online in my new house...only taken Telstra 5 weeks...haven't checked expats for ages! I am all settled now in East Ballarat, just up from Sovereign Hill (off Main Rd)...having a fab time! Uni is great and the people are great, really enjoying myself! Here's to the next two years Always interested to hear what other 'locals' are up to, or what to do, or where to see, good pubs etc...off down the Great Ocean Road in April, so any hints there would be great too...PM me or maybe stay on this thread?! Fluff xx
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fluff,

Glad you are doing well. On the GOR there is a nice seaside stop at Anglesea. Take a bbq pack with you as there are loads of barbie places to cook. Also stop in on Otway Fly - its a treetop walk - jolly good but better if you can get there early as the birds arent about if you go late in the day so if you are staying overnight somewhere on the GOR its best to leave Otway Fly until the next day. If not, still worth doing for the experience alone. Lorne is a big tourist town and there is also Torquay which is a surfie town - lots of surfie type shops. Somewhere along the road is a lighthouse which has a short walk near it, great views and wonderful photo opportunities. Im pretty sure its called "spitpoint lighthouse" but can't exactly remember.

Lisa
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:51 am
Just Joined

sarree1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey

Me and my family are looking to move to Australia in 2012/13. (after we are paid up in england!)
we have been researching some areas and love the sound of Ballerat, not too big, not too small, close to most places etc.
we have 2 children who will be nearly 7 and 5 when we get there. I have been looking at Schools in and around Ballerat. (State Schools!!) and can only seem to find state primary schools, the nearest secondary school seems to be 34km away in Daylesford???? Is this right???? bit of a trek i think!

anyways, just wondered aswell to anyone living in the Ballerat/Wendouree area what work is like for builders/tradesman??? as my husband is a carpenter. I am a beauty therapist/ Nail Technition and will be looking for part-time work in the area. many thanks SARAH
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Default INFO IN BALLERAT/WENDOUREE, VICTORIA AREA PLEASE :)

Hey

Me and my family are looking to move to Australia in 2012/13. (after we are paid up in england!)
we have been researching some areas and love the sound of Ballerat, not too big, not too small, close to most places etc.
we have 2 children who will be nearly 7 and 5 when we get there. I have been looking at Schools in and around Ballerat. (State Schools!!) and can only seem to find state primary schools, the nearest secondary school seems to be 34km away in Daylesford???? Is this right???? bit of a trek i think!

anyways, just wondered aswell to anyone living in the Ballerat/Wendouree area what work is like for builders/tradesman??? as my husband is a carpenter. I am a beauty therapist/ Nail Technition and will be looking for part-time work in the area. many thanks SARAH
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sarree1981
Hey

Hi Sarah,
state secondary schools in the area would be
Ballarat High
Ballarat Secondary College (Wendouree Campus)
Ballarat Secondary East Campus
Sebastopol College
Mount Clear College

A school bus will more than likely run from Wendouree / Ballarat to all of these schools. I have no idea about builders / tradies work but i reckon you could get work pretty easily there are loads of salons in the area

Ballarat is a lovely area - we came here 3 years ago and still love it as much as the first day!

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Im more than happy to help. Lisa.xx
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Merged threads. Both asking about Ballarat, thought it made sense.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Ahh Lisa, thats great, thankyou!!!

I think it will take us about 2-3 years to get everything sorted!!!! we are planning on coming out next year though to view some areas and look at schools etc etc so hopefully will get a better idea then.

Lots to plan and think about. My main concern is missing my family which im sure most people go through. my children will miss grandparents terribly but myself and my husband feel this is something we really need to do.

we will buy eventually but will defo rent for maybe 6 months first.

any other tips would be greatly appreciated e.g where do we start?!?!?! lol

we have 2 dogs aswell (big black labs) thats going to cost us around £5,000 alone to bring them out!!!! my babies though, cant and wont leave em!

thanks so much and hope your enjoying the sunshine!

sarah x
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sarree1981
Ahh Lisa, thats great, thankyou!!!

I think it will take us about 2-3 years to get everything sorted!!!! we are planning on coming out next year though to view some areas and look at schools etc etc so hopefully will get a better idea then.

Lots to plan and think about. My main concern is missing my family which im sure most people go through. my children will miss grandparents terribly but myself and my husband feel this is something we really need to do.

we will buy eventually but will defo rent for maybe 6 months first.

any other tips would be greatly appreciated e.g where do we start?!?!?! lol

we have 2 dogs aswell (big black labs) thats going to cost us around £5,000 alone to bring them out!!!! my babies though, cant and wont leave em!

thanks so much and hope your enjoying the sunshine!

sarah x
Oh My Goodness... where do you start...I have no idea - it seems like such a long time ago we were in your situation!

I think it is a great idea to rent first, we did the same thing. Rentals are pretty cheap so its well worth it to make sure you find the right place to buy. We brought our two dogs out with us too (plan in advance for their flights, mine couldnt get a flight for 3 months after we had left) They were so pleased to see us when we got to pick them up! OH and I are both teachers over here so we would be happy to help out with finding good schools when the time comes. In regards to places to live if you imagine a big L shape wendouree and ballarat are at the two end of the L shape the bit on the corner would be a place called Alfredton which is a really nice place to live, it has an enromous park (Victoria (Vic) PArk) which would be great for your dogs. There are loads of rentals there and personally i think a better place to live when you aregetting to know an area as it is inbetween the two (though neither are that far apart really) Your kids will love, love, love it here!

Lisa.x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.