Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone with Aus criminal law experience?

Anyone with Aus criminal law experience?

Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone with Aus criminal law experience?

Just wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible here in WA for a private citizen to bypass police to have someone charged with a crime? In Ontario (where I'm from), if police don't want to lay a charge a citizen can go directly to the Crown Attorney to have the Crown prosecute directly.

I've looked all over the 'net and can't find anything so thought you good people might be able to help.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:10 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone with Aus criminal law experience?

Depends what for and will vary from state to state. For example as a Justice of the Peace in Queensland private people can come to me and make a complaint under the Peace and Good Behaviour act if they are threatened or fear threats of violence against them or property.

A general complaint and summons to Court can be issued by me also if a private individual requests and there are grounds and the legislation is provided that seems to warrant it. This is the "catch all" sort of summons.

I can also issue a summons under the Domestic Violence and Family Protection Act.

So in answer to your question, I have no real idea for WA, but in Queensland yes you can approach a JP as a private person for a Summons (amongst other things).

You may want to check with a local JP to see if they can assist. The powers of a JP vary widely from state to state, but that would be my first port of call.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:10 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Just wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible here in WA for a private citizen to bypass police to have someone charged with a crime? In Ontario (where I'm from), if police don't want to lay a charge a citizen can go directly to the Crown Attorney to have the Crown prosecute directly.

I've looked all over the 'net and can't find anything so thought you good people might be able to help.
Seriously this might have some interest/background info
http://www.smokeball.com.au/ProductI...P/9047/8993101

Now light hearted:

If you have a job

And no one else can help

You need to call

THE A TEAM
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Seriously this might have some interest/background info
http://www.smokeball.com.au/ProductI...P/9047/8993101

Now light hearted:

If you have a job

And no one else can help

You need to call

THE A TEAM
If you have the number for the A Team I would be very interested in it. Or, AC/DC. Didn't they promise they would do dirty jobs dirt cheap?

Seriously, thanks for the link GG. Karma on its way.