Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone applied for a UK passport from Canberra recently?

Anyone applied for a UK passport from Canberra recently?

Old May 12th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Angry Anyone applied for a UK passport from Canberra recently?

I am in the process of applying for a UK passport from Canberra for my newborn. They are saying that it takes 30 working days to process the application which from my calculation will be a few days before we need to fly. (we are leaving the country so not only do I have to book flights but also shipping etc and it seems that I can't book anything until I have the passport!). I was wondering whether anyone had applied for a UK passport from oz recently and how long it took. I don't know whether to take a chance and book shipping, flights hotels etc or whether I had better wait until I get the passport because it seems that the office does not prioritise applications for any reason. I have yet to get my daughter's birth cert which I sent off for 8 weeks ago (!) although I have now been told that I get it in an hour if I go to parramatta offices - needless to say that's where I will be tomorrow!!!
Old May 12th 2008, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone applied for a UK passport from Canberra recently?

Yep collected mine on Thursday. I had taken it to the office in Canberra on 10 April so for me it was a renewal which took just 20 working days but the lady at the desk did say that the turn around was now 30 days. It is quicker if you take it in and collect it yourself but the High Commission is only open from 9 am - 2pm.
Old May 12th 2008, 8:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
I am in the process of applying for a UK passport from Canberra for my newborn. They are saying that it takes 30 working days to process the application which from my calculation will be a few days before we need to fly. (we are leaving the country so not only do I have to book flights but also shipping etc and it seems that I can't book anything until I have the passport!). I was wondering whether anyone had applied for a UK passport from oz recently and how long it took. I don't know whether to take a chance and book shipping, flights hotels etc or whether I had better wait until I get the passport because it seems that the office does not prioritise applications for any reason. I have yet to get my daughter's birth cert which I sent off for 8 weeks ago (!) although I have now been told that I get it in an hour if I go to parramatta offices - needless to say that's where I will be tomorrow!!!
My wife applied for a passport from Canberra recently. It took about 2 weeks to get it.
Old May 14th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

I've heard 4 weeks from a friend who recently applied.
Old May 14th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

rita is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I sent mine off 4 weeks ago. I spoke to someone there today and they said at least another 2 weeks. I'm due to fly out next Thursday, as you can imagine I'm feeling a bit upset at the moment.
Old May 14th 2008, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Sorry to hear you are leaving. Have you thought of taking a couple of days in Canberra. If you take it yourself you can get it sorted instantly I think. I know it's probably not the sort of thing you want to be doing with a newborn (CONGRATULATIONS BTW!!! ) but it might be an option.

Rudi
x
Old May 14th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Unhappy Re: Anyone applied for a UK passport from Canberra recently?

Originally Posted by rita
Hi,

I sent mine off 4 weeks ago. I spoke to someone there today and they said at least another 2 weeks. I'm due to fly out next Thursday, as you can imagine I'm feeling a bit upset at the moment.
Oh my goodness - I really hope you get it in time. Did you put a date of travel on your form? I wonder how much attention they pay to these dates. It seems to be ridiculous that you can't pay more for a priority service. I can't believe that every passport they are processing is that urgent. Please let me know whether you get it on time as I am interested to know whether they are pulling out all the stops to those people that need theirs urgently. We are still unsure whether to book shipping etc but the 457 visa people are not shifting and say that we have to leave the country 28 days after my hubbie finishes his job - we'll be going nowhere if we don't have our newborn's passport.
Here's hoping that you get yours in time.
Old May 14th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rudi
Hiya

Sorry to hear you are leaving. Have you thought of taking a couple of days in Canberra. If you take it yourself you can get it sorted instantly I think. I know it's probably not the sort of thing you want to be doing with a newborn (CONGRATULATIONS BTW!!! ) but it might be an option.

Rudi
x
Hi Rudi
It says on their website that it makes no difference whether you take it in in person or not - still 30 working days. Maybe they've changed their policy on this recently. I just can't believe that if someone had a bereavement and needed a passport to get back to the UK urgently they would turn round and say you have to wait 6 weeks - they must have some passports that are done quickly.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

rita is on a distinguished road

I was told they don't priorotise on date of travel, its "first come first served". It also says this on the website. It said min 4 weeks when I sent it off. It now says 30 working days. They said I can't go and pick it up as there is nothing to pick up. You can't pay extra. I was told "there is nothing you can do" .
Old May 14th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

My experience.
We applied for my daughters renewal UK passport on 13th March, money charged to credit card 17th March, Passport finally arrived 2nd May!

We needed it for the 29th April and this was stated on the application form.

Daughter had to enter the UK on her Australian passport!

Good old British High Commission in Canberra. Their helpline charges the earth and all they say is "the passport is being processed" and they can't say when it will be completed.

Absolutely CRAP service!
Old May 14th 2008, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If you look on the website there is a capacity for an emergency travel document which can be issued at short notice. This is from the FCO site

We can issue you with a replacement travel document if you need to travel urgently. But we’ll need some verification of your identity and to be satisfied that you are a British national. You’ll also need to show us a police report and pay a fee.

This document may be an emergency passport valid for a single journey, a temporary one-year passport or a standard passport, depending on embassy facilities and your travel needs. We need to make checks before we can issue a passport and this may mean you have to delay your travel plans.

You’ll have to pay an extra fee if staff need to issue an emergency travel document outside of normal office hours. This starts at £121. You should also consider whether you need to obtain an exit visa from the local immigration authorities. Some countries do not issue such visas outside normal office hours.

Check with the local British embassy or consulate to see what services it offers. Local conditions mean that different passport services are available in different areas.

I know it says replacement document but there must be some accommodation for newborns.
Old May 14th 2008, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rita
I was told they don't priorotise on date of travel, its "first come first served". It also says this on the website. It said min 4 weeks when I sent it off. It now says 30 working days. They said I can't go and pick it up as there is nothing to pick up. You can't pay extra. I was told "there is nothing you can do" .
I am sorry to hear that. It's just ridiculous. What are you going to do? Where are you travelling to? Do you have an Australian passport?
Old May 14th 2008, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Angry Re: Anyone applied for a UK passport from Canberra recently?

Originally Posted by Sharpy67
My experience.
We applied for my daughters renewal UK passport on 13th March, money charged to credit card 17th March, Passport finally arrived 2nd May!

We needed it for the 29th April and this was stated on the application form.

Daughter had to enter the UK on her Australian passport!

Good old British High Commission in Canberra. Their helpline charges the earth and all they say is "the passport is being processed" and they can't say when it will be completed.

Absolutely CRAP service!
Well this has just confirmed to me not to book anything until I have the passport which is going to be very difficult because how on earth do you book shipping and flights at a couple of weeks notice? Maybe if I can get through to some human at immigration who understands our predicament we might be able to stay a month longer. Looks like that is our only hope.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:28 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you are going back to the UK - I haven't even got to see your new bub yet! Am working 30 hours a week now (though still have the First Tuesday of the month off!) so don't get on expats much any more but stuck at home with 2 sick daughters today.

Hope everything works out for you.

B x
Old May 15th 2008, 12:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if I can get through to some human at immigration who understands our predicament we might be able to stay a month longer. Looks like that is our only hope.
It may be possible to get an onshore extension as a tourist or bridging visa holder. Probably wouldn't hurt to call George Lombard on 02 97990085 and see if he could represent you - his fee would probably be reasonable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.