Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone with any experience of cancelling BT Broadband to move to Australia?

Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

vgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to all
Default Anyone with any experience of cancelling BT Broadband to move to Australia?

My contract ends in October, the guy on the phone tells me that I have to pay right up till the end of the contract even though I will be closing the service on the 21st August. In the terms and conditions it says that if they can not provide the service at your new home you will not have to pay, but the guy on the phone says this is only applicable in the UK. When we took out the contract in October had no intention of moving to Australia so thought would be able to fulfill contract. I understand that the idea of the contract is so that people don't keep changing providers but I would be happy to stay with BT if I could but I can't, and the thought of paying nearly 100 pounds (On Broadband Option 3) for broadband services I won't be able to use certainly puts me off using BT again if I move back to the UK.

Has anyone else got experience of having to pay this or any way of persuading them to drop it?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

crankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone with any experience of cancelling BT Broadband to move to Australia?

Hi,

I also have a some interesting conversations with BT over the same matter. I found an email that I sent to them back in March requesting my personal broadband to be switched off / removed / de-activated (whatever you want to call it) when my yearly contract re-news (which was July).

When the time came they told me they had lost the email and renewed my contract. After many hours on the phone and emails with BT they noticed I have another BT broadband which the company I currently work for pays for and they said as long as I keep this one they will terminate my personal broadband, which they have.

Good luck with BT, it can be complete hell! :curse:

Cheers, Cranky.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:51 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone with any experience of cancelling BT Broadband to move to Australia?

Originally Posted by vgenburgos
My contract ends in October, the guy on the phone tells me that I have to pay right up till the end of the contract even though I will be closing the service on the 21st August. In the terms and conditions it says that if they can not provide the service at your new home you will not have to pay, but the guy on the phone says this is only applicable in the UK. When we took out the contract in October had no intention of moving to Australia so thought would be able to fulfill contract. I understand that the idea of the contract is so that people don't keep changing providers but I would be happy to stay with BT if I could but I can't, and the thought of paying nearly 100 pounds (On Broadband Option 3) for broadband services I won't be able to use certainly puts me off using BT again if I move back to the UK.

Has anyone else got experience of having to pay this or any way of persuading them to drop it?
How are you paying this? If by standing order just write to the bank the week you leave the country cancelling it, what can they do your not there anymore to pursue for payment.
In the terms and conditions it says that if they can not provide the service at your new home you will not have to pay - does the contract say this only applies to the UK if not write to them again the week you leave telling them you will forward your new address for them to connect as per their contract and you will then resume payment of the contract. Two can play at their game.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:04 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

We have been through exactly the same thing. BT have finally yielded and refunded everything we have paid from starting the service. We did have a string to our bow however, from the very start our service was delayed and patchy at best we never got the full 8 meg as promised so I told them all this and they refunded the whole lot. This did take lots of calling different people and finally writing a letter of complaint to their head office. It was so frustrating to sort out but very pleased with the overall end result as you can imagine. It is worth trying to find a way BT have not held their side of contract that way they have to try to compensate. Hope this helps?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

carolinelaurie is an unknown quantity at this point

i am in a similar situation but with sky. I have been with them for years but upgraded to HD package a few months back they insist i have to pay for the full 12 months or pay them compensation. I am gutted. To be honest i am not a dis honest person but will cancel my dd the day i leave uk and tough on them. I have been a loyal customer for over 8 years always paid via direct debit and on time. its not my fault sky are not in australia.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

You will have to pay up im afraid. The only way of a chance of getting out of it is complaining to the chairman Christopher Bland at BT Centre
BT Group plc, BT Centre, 81 Newgate Street, London EC1A 7AJ.
They will only pay up if the local exchange is not enabled and to be fair you are cutting a one year contract short it would be the same with every provider i would imagine.
Im having to pay up for Vodaphone and fitness first - it so annoying!

Last edited by emmyjc1; Aug 1st 2007 at 6:28 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

vgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to all

Like you say I am breaking a one year contract but what I don't understand is if I moved to an area in the UK without broadband I wouldn't have to pay so why is moving to Australia where they can't supply broadband any different.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

crankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nicecrankysid is just really nice

Hi ya,

Just like as you have described "if you move to an area that BT can not supply broadband" your contract does not have a leg to stand. As is the terms and conditions state, depending on AREA not depending on COUNTRY.

Two different words, two different meanings. You will have to buy yourself out of the contract.
People have done it in the past and will do it in the future, its just one of the wonderful things about 1 year contracts they are there to screw people or as they call it "customers" over.

Cheers, Cranky.

Like you say I am breaking a one year contract but what I don't understand is if I moved to an area in the UK without broadband I wouldn't have to pay so why is moving to Australia where they can't supply broadband any different.