Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Already In SA That's On STNI?

Anyone Already In SA That's On STNI?

Old May 17th 2003, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

stotty is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone Already In SA That's On STNI?

I've just got my STNI visa for SA and am due to go out next January. I fancy travelling around a bit before I get settled tho.

Can anyone tell me how much contact the authorities have/want with you once you get there? If I'm travelling around it might be difficult to keep in touch with them. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 17th 2003, 5:12 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road
Default STNI

Congratulations Stotty -
But what is your profession? I thought the chances of getting in to SA via STNI were really minute!
Caroline
Old May 17th 2003, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Caroline :-)

I got in as an electronics engineer, although I haven't done it for a while now. Most of the jobs seem to be in defence industries tho so I'm not sure if they'll take fresh immigrants! Still, having got a foot in the door I'm sure I'll find something. I applied to Victoria too but never heard anything.
Old May 17th 2003, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

caroline

i know several that have applied for stni from s.a and got it..

providing you are
a on the modl list
b genuine as regards wanting to go to s.a

getting stni is fairly straight forward

however

i believe the amount of contact is fairly limited -once arrived ..

stni is not a binding contract therefore you are free to come and go as you please..

i guess the only contact you really need to make is if you want the meet 'n' greet service

otherwise if you don't tell you're coming them they won't know..

cheers

richard

Last edited by r.bartlett; May 17th 2003 at 7:25 pm.
Old May 17th 2003, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

does anyone know how you apply to each state for the stni visas? Is there a web site
Old May 18th 2003, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

the is no website that i know of..
only 3 states at present operate the stni system

tasmania
south australia
victoria

search their indevidual websites for information on stni

cheers

richard
Old May 18th 2003, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Port Talbot, South Wales to Ascot Vale, Melbourne
jonah66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debsy
does anyone know how you apply to each state for the stni visas? Is there a web site
Hi Debsy

This link is for the Skilled Migration Unit in Victoria ....

www.migration.vic.gov.au

Regards

Ian
Old May 18th 2003, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Daffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone Already In SA That's On STNI?

Originally posted by stotty
I've just got my STNI visa for SA and am due to go out next January. I fancy travelling around a bit before I get settled tho.

Can anyone tell me how much contact the authorities have/want with you once you get there? If I'm travelling around it might be difficult to keep in touch with them. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Stotty we go 10 June on STNI. We were approached by the SA Gov after we applied for visa last April. We went for it and they fast tracked our application. We too are going to travel around when we get there, first trip Uluru then on to Darwin. Obviously we have made a promise to reside in SA and we will keep it but we intend having a nice long holiday first as we really do deserve it after all the pressure of waiting for this visa.
Old May 18th 2003, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info Richard. Guess I'll be travelling around for a while when I get there then!

Daffy - too right! My thoughts exactly - may as well check Oz out before settling down in one place! Good luck with the move.

Steve.
Old May 19th 2003, 5:22 am
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road
Default STNI

Originally posted by r.bartlett
caroline

i know several that have applied for stni from s.a and got it..

providing you are
a on the modl list
b genuine as regards wanting to go to s.a

cheers

richard

Richard,
Was anyone you know that applied in Information Technology? I am an IT Project Manager, and on the S.A. website, there is a note to say that IT Professionals, are only offered STNI, subject to having a firm job offer. So this would rely on a local employer reading your entry, and going through the recruitment process via this route.

I know it's a long shot, but I don't want to get my hopes up if there's no chance,
Many thanks,
Caroline:scared:
Old May 19th 2003, 7:33 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by stotty
Cheers Caroline :-)

I got in as an electronics engineer, although I haven't done it for a while now. Most of the jobs seem to be in defence industries tho so I'm not sure if they'll take fresh immigrants! Still, having got a foot in the door I'm sure I'll find something. I applied to Victoria too but never heard anything.
have alook at this site for tech park in Adelaide http://www.techpark.sa.gov.au/idx_maws.htm ......mm
Old May 19th 2003, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Nice one Mr. Mover - thanks :-)