Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Adelaide

Anyone in Adelaide

Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:38 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone in Adelaide

Hi,

Just wondered if theres anyone out there living in Adelaide . . . . what's it like? especially those with yooung kids. Are we better off in the hills, or near the city? and what are the schools like??

Also, my daughter will be 7 when we arrive and be in her third year of primary school. Does the Oz schooling system relate at all to the UK system or are the school years totally different?

My last question is ..... how easy is it to find rented accommodation (preferably furnished) and what referneces will we need?

Cheers again,

Nic
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Adelaide

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
Hi,

Just wondered if theres anyone out there living in Adelaide . . . . what's it like? especially those with yooung kids. Are we better off in the hills, or near the city? and what are the schools like??

Also, my daughter will be 7 when we arrive and be in her third year of primary school. Does the Oz schooling system relate at all to the UK system or are the school years totally different?

My last question is ..... how easy is it to find rented accommodation (preferably furnished) and what referneces will we need?

Cheers again,

Nic

Hello Nic

Yep I'm in Adelaide.

Hard to really say where is the best place to live really, it depends on what you want. Do you want to be near the beach?, near work?, near shops? etc.

There are some places that are best avoided, where I am to the North of the CBD you'd be advised to stay away from places like Elizabeth (although there are some nice parts), not really sure about down South, although we are possibly looking to move to the Seaford, Moana or Port Noarlunga area next year.

Main reason for our move will be because we can afford a bigger house, nearer to a beach.

Schools, again depends wat you want. My little girl goes to a good school - Mawson Lakes Primary. Although the kids call the teachers by their first names which is kinda weird at first.

She is 7 tomorrow and is in year 2 just now. The head teacher asked which we felt would be better for her, he is monitoring her progress and next year she will be placed according to her ability rather than age. But the year 2 and 3 classes are in the same unit, so even if they keep her back she will still be in the same class as her friends. We have found they are really flexible if you talk to them about it.

We had found and moved into a rental within 2 weeks of landing. All we used was a personal reference (plus an e-mail address for them) and a bank statement. We found that the larger firms really dragged their heels though, the one we have is a small agency and they worked a lot faster
Old Nov 13th 2006, 11:13 am
Just Me

RodMac is an unknown quantity at this point

Better asking here

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/index.php?

Tracey
x
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:35 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

No l think they all left and moved to Melbourne to find work.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Adelaide, too. There are definite places to avoid, but then again we were told to avoid Noarlunga but love it an bought a piece of land there. You really have to make up your own mind.
We really like Adelaide, so don't let those people from Melbourne put you off. The best, nicest people live here. Wendy and me.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 10:15 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You really have to make up your own mind.
We really like Adelaide, so don't let those people from Melbourne put you off. The best, nicest people live here. Wendy and me.

Here here!!

We will be going the "nicest people" shortly and cant wait, so excited now!! When we arrived in Adelaide for our rekkie, we were surprised following reading all the "Diss Adelaide" threads on here, and we loved it!!

Kids are 3 & 7 and my 3 year old asks everyday are we going to Australia today, he cant wait to get back! My 7 year old is a little more concerned about booking her leaving party!! But then at 7 that is a BIG thing to organise!!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 11:43 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers again,

Nic
Me the mrs and the tribe should be there this time next year, cnt wait to meet you lovely folks.

Hopefully our lil court case goes through ok next weds and we can get VISA sent mid december. fingers crossed.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
Me the mrs and the tribe should be there this time next year, cnt wait to meet you lovely folks.

Hopefully our lil court case goes through ok next weds and we can get VISA sent mid december. fingers crossed.

Hi and us too - hoping to be sending off the visa application soon and that should make us December applicants!

Lindsey
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

majortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nice

There are some places that are best avoided, where I am to the North of the CBD you'd be advised to stay away from places like Elizabeth (although there are some nice parts)

Yes they eat children up there, nasty lot of people.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:27 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nic,

we are arriving in Adelaide on the 27th, with 7 kids in tow :scared: , so I will let you know our impressions when we arrive.

We are also searching for a nice area for families, schools, etc.

We are meeting agents that week with a view to searching for short term furnished rentals, I will let you know what they have to say.

Regards

Nigel & Ellie
WOW!!! 7 kids...thought i was mad with 4!
very well done....

Good luck with the move over, look forward to your 'arrived/settling' post.
Kat xxx
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nic,

we are arriving in Adelaide on the 27th, with 7 kids in tow :scared: , so I will let you know our impressions when we arrive.

We are also searching for a nice area for families, schools, etc.

We are meeting agents that week with a view to searching for short term furnished rentals, I will let you know what they have to say.

Regards

Nigel & Ellie

good luck with your move, bet it must you a fortune on air fares.
Adelaide is lovely been during British summer time had great, only thing was we were so coldddddddd.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 7:29 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, really don't want to alarm you but I read this on Adelaidebrits

(This is an extract...didn't happen to us)

About 4 months ago we moved to Yankalilla about an hour an a half south of Adelaide. Last week we removed our children from Yankalilla Area High. Both my children were badly bullied. My 5 yr old daughter was surrounded by five 11/12 yr old boys who taunted so badly and would not let her go, she wet herself. This happened twice. My son has put up with "English Bastard go home", being tripped over, ostracised. He was also punched and dragged along the floor by one boy and had to have his leg bandaged by the school because the grazes were so bad.

I guess Yankalilla is one to avoid!

Nic
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, really don't want to alarm you but I read this on Adelaidebrits

(This is an extract...didn't happen to us)

About 4 months ago we moved to Yankalilla about an hour an a half south of Adelaide. Last week we removed our children from Yankalilla Area High. Both my children were badly bullied. My 5 yr old daughter was surrounded by five 11/12 yr old boys who taunted so badly and would not let her go, she wet herself. This happened twice. My son has put up with "English Bastard go home", being tripped over, ostracised. He was also punched and dragged along the floor by one boy and had to have his leg bandaged by the school because the grazes were so bad.

I guess Yankalilla is one to avoid!

Nic
That's one side of one story in thousands of children in Adelaide area. You don't have the other side of the story, nor is it an every day occurence. We also read a story of a woman who's daughter was carjacked in Port Noarlunga so she said to stay away from there. It could just as easily have been in Glenelg or one of the other more upscale suburbs. Don't let one person's experience put you off at all. We've found that our children are made to feel welcome by everyone including the other kids in their school. Most likely your children will not be the only ones from UK, either.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Anyone in Adelaide

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hello Nic

Yep I'm in Adelaide.

Hard to really say where is the best place to live really, it depends on what you want. Do you want to be near the beach?, near work?, near shops? etc.

There are some places that are best avoided, where I am to the North of the CBD you'd be advised to stay away from places like Elizabeth (although there are some nice parts), not really sure about down South, although we are possibly looking to move to the Seaford, Moana or Port Noarlunga area next year.

Main reason for our move will be because we can afford a bigger house, nearer to a beach.

Schools, again depends wat you want. My little girl goes to a good school - Mawson Lakes Primary. Although the kids call the teachers by their first names which is kinda weird at first.

She is 7 tomorrow and is in year 2 just now. The head teacher asked which we felt would be better for her, he is monitoring her progress and next year she will be placed according to her ability rather than age. But the year 2 and 3 classes are in the same unit, so even if they keep her back she will still be in the same class as her friends. We have found they are really flexible if you talk to them about it.

We had found and moved into a rental within 2 weeks of landing. All we used was a personal reference (plus an e-mail address for them) and a bank statement. We found that the larger firms really dragged their heels though, the one we have is a small agency and they worked a lot faster
Noarlunga is a lovely place! I have friends down that way.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 8:19 pm
toplad

Hi, we live in Seaford Rise which is near Noarlunga. It's a lovely place to live.Our kid's have had no problems in the high school, my 11yr old is the youngest in the school and has had no problem's at all.
The weather is a little mixed, when it's cold it's cold.
Oh and both me and my o.h have paid employment.

Try all the suburb's till you find one you like.

Tracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.