Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Adelaide

Wikiposts

Anyone in Adelaide

Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone in Adelaide

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
You should try looking at other places in OZ before going back to the UK, l read a post from someone that did'nt like Adelaide but loved Queensland and the Gold coast, perhaps go for a holiday across the border to Victoria and Melbourne and travel up to NSW and Queensland

Yep, thats my plan exactly for next year. I have worked and saved the money for the trip!!! If i have a gut feeling about the place i shall just have to confince hubby and the rest of my family
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

As others have said take a look at AdelaideBrits .. we are a friendly bunch (honest!) and the site is a mine of information!

We have been in Adelaide for 13 months and we are very happy .... we had never been to Australia before, so did tonnes of research ... an Aussie friend the other day that I know more about Australia than she does, and that could easily be true .. but even with that it is impossible to know until you have lived here!

We also had no choice about where we came, we were heading to NSW before tha points change .. we just fugured that if we could live in Birmingham for 14 years (sorry to anyone who lives there!) we could cope with Adelaide for 2 if it cam to it ..

As it is we are happy here and it has been home from almost day one .. the winters here a drag, very cold in the houses .. but the summers are glorious .. we don't have the humidity of the northern states, so just is much more comfortable.

Adelaide to us has a real country town feel, it feels small and laid back .. we have kids so only go out for meals etc. but I know there are younger people who aren't too impressed with the nightlife ..

There is lots to do here if you look and we aren't too far from the other city's for visits .. you can get to Melbourne in about 8/10 hours. Sydney roughly double. In the summer there are lots of free festivals, especially family based ..

Take a look at this website .. Adelaide Bound, it has been written by an AdBritter and is absolutely packed with info.

You said you were planning a recce .. so come and see for yourself!

Nikki
xx

And Annn - if I ever hear you dissing Adelaide again I'll, I'll ....

Last edited by mysnix; Aug 16th 2006 at 9:24 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 17th 2006, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about

And Annn - if I ever hear you dissing Adelaide again I'll, I'll ....

Sorry Nikki, I have been warned
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

I live in Adelaide in a suburb called Hallett Cove, which in my opinion is a lovely place. It is right by the beach (not the best of beaches but there are lots of others close by) Lots of British people must like it because there are so many of us here.
Adelaide has grown us since being here, believe me the first impression was "what the hell have we come to".
There is a lot of natural beauty, if you look for it but that is all that Adelaide has got going for it.
There isn't much excitement going on here and will suit people that like the quiet kind of living.
Don't get me wrong, I love walks on the beach and visiting very small seaside towns, but sometimes it would be nice to get the old ticker going.
Don't do what we did and holiday in the Gold Coast for 2 weeks prior to settling in Adelaide, it will indeed spoil you.
Before anyone from Adelaide shoots me down (as some will and have). I know the Gold Coast is a tourist place, but to come from there with loads of things going on to coming to Adelaide with not much going on is one heck of a let down.
It would be nice for a change to be able to take or leave the theme parks, but unfortunately we don't have the choice down here because there isn't anything like that.
I know this may sound weird to some people, but sometimes you don't feel like your in Australia at all, just a sleepy village in England.
The Gold Coast however, is more my idea of Australia
The other half is a Carpenter and has had great trouble finding work at times, the money is crap for trades people here.
A lot of people are coming to Adelaide and then moving on to the likes of Perth or Queensland, where there are more prospects jobs wise and for a slightly more active pace.
We will be one of these people if he can't get work soon.
You only have to go on career one and do a search for carpenters, in adelaide there will be a few, on the Gold Coast alone there will be a lot more.
Some love it and stay, some don't and move on or back to England, it really is up to the individual and you would have to come and see for yourself.

Julie
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:20 pm
toplad

we have been in Adelaide for about 4 weeks now, we are living at Seaford rise and we love it. the area is quiet and lots of new building is going on.just give it a go before you make any rash decisions, it will grow on you.most of the people i have met are really friendly and approachable.the kids love their new school and seem to be settling in. so just come over, chill and enjoy what Adelaide has to offer.

Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by toplad
we have been in Adelaide for about 4 weeks now, we are living at Seaford rise and we love it. the area is quiet and lots of new building is going on.just give it a go before you make any rash decisions, it will grow on you.most of the people i have met are really friendly and approachable.the kids love their new school and seem to be settling in. so just come over, chill and enjoy what Adelaide has to offer.

Don't I know you?

Enjoy
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:31 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mollydog
My family and I are just commencing the visa process and have been told it will take up to 2 years and the only place we can really go (as we have a restricted visa) is Adelaide.

From reading this and other message boards Adelaide is not the place most Brits go to when they leave the UK.

We are planning to visit it when we go out in May 2007 and if we don't like it and change our minds about leaving the UK, we are resolved to losing the costs associated with the visa.

However, does anyone have any thoughts on Adelaide and what we can expect? I find these message boards give a tremendous insight into what we can expect (good and bad) and I would encourage all who can to continue contributing; even the smallest nuggget of information, as it is such an invaluable source.
I've just got back from a recce trip to Adelaide and ranked it No 2 out of all the cities I've recced in Oz so far. It's fair to say I don't like Australia one bit since coming here 2 years ago but wanted to give the other cities the benefit of the doubt so have spent the last 6 months trying them all out (except Darwin). If anyones interested for me my order of preference if I had to stay here is now:- Canberra,Adelaide,Melborne,Brisbane,Perth,Sydney.

None of them ideal as they all have flies and mossies and extreme heat. On thing to bear in mind if its actually the Aussies themselves your having a hard time living with is that Adelaide has 25% of it's poulation born overseas and Melbourne too has a high percentage making both places a much nicer, richer multicultural experience IMO.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here 3 weeks - and hey, it's home.

Waiting for the house to finally start being built. I know Annn will beat us by a few weeks but hey - we've got an extra storey to build!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marco121068
We've been here 3 weeks - and hey, it's home.

Waiting for the house to finally start being built. I know Annn will beat us by a few weeks but hey - we've got an extra storey to build!

Still no slab and now the rain has arrived so theres an excuse for delay
But the beach is still great just a little wild the last couple of days.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annn
Still no slab and now the rain has arrived so theres an excuse for delay
But the beach is still great just a little wild the last couple of days.
So we might still win then?