Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Adelaide

Anyone in Adelaide

Old Aug 16th 2006, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

mollydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in Adelaide

My family and I are just commencing the visa process and have been told it will take up to 2 years and the only place we can really go (as we have a restricted visa) is Adelaide.

From reading this and other message boards Adelaide is not the place most Brits go to when they leave the UK.

We are planning to visit it when we go out in May 2007 and if we don't like it and change our minds about leaving the UK, we are resolved to losing the costs associated with the visa.

However, does anyone have any thoughts on Adelaide and what we can expect? I find these message boards give a tremendous insight into what we can expect (good and bad) and I would encourage all who can to continue contributing; even the smallest nuggget of information, as it is such an invaluable source.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

zims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone in Adelaide

Originally Posted by mollydog
My family and I are just commencing the visa process and have been told it will take up to 2 years and the only place we can really go (as we have a restricted visa) is Adelaide.

From reading this and other message boards Adelaide is not the place most Brits go to when they leave the UK.

We are planning to visit it when we go out in May 2007 and if we don't like it and change our minds about leaving the UK, we are resolved to losing the costs associated with the visa.

However, does anyone have any thoughts on Adelaide and what we can expect? I find these message boards give a tremendous insight into what we can expect (good and bad) and I would encourage all who can to continue contributing; even the smallest nuggget of information, as it is such an invaluable source.

TRY:
http://s2.invisionfree/Adelaidebrits
good luck
Andrea
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I'm in Adelaide

I love it here. I haven't been here all that long (5 weeks), but I am so glad we came here. I have found that there is a bit of something for everyone and it is ideal for me to bring my kids up (age 6 and 13).

My son, who didn't want to come to Australia, has settled so well and even said that he's glad we came.

I have found people in general here to be genuinely friendly and I know everyone on the street where we live by name and I know what they do for a living. I've only been here three weeks.

South Austarlia is a huge place and whatever it is that you are looking for I'm sure you will find it. Plus if you have a temporary visa then you won't have to stay here forever if you feel it's not for you, it will be possible to move elsewhere once you get PR.

All the best whatever happens. Enjoy your visit here.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:13 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Anyone in Adelaide

hi,we have been in Adelaide for just over three months.When we first thought about emigrating we planned on either Sydney or Melbourne - Adelaide was not even on our radar at that point.Anyway circumstance brought us here.While doing the visa process the points system changed and SA was the only state open to us that we considered viable so we started to research it.By the time we submitted our visa app. the points system changed again and we could in fact have chose to go anywhere in oz, but decided on Adelaide.Heres why-
Housing- you can get a lot for your money here and you don't have to be living in a crap area or miles away from everything else.We have just bought a plot of land for $175k and will be building a 4bed house on it.Will cost around $200 for house at most.The land is about a 15-20 minute drive from the CBD.
Beautiful surroundings - parks everywhere,all around the CBD and North Adelaide,this is one of the greenest places I've seen.
sporting facilities in every suburb - even an ice rink!
Restaurants are cheap and so far our experience has been great in every one we've tried.
Culture-There's always something going on here.2nd biggest fringe festival in the world after Edinburgh,cabaret festival was just on,loads of cinemas even a drive in.
Night life -the usual sort of thing -nightclubs bars etc. lots of live music -My daughter is 18 and is having a whale of a time.There's even a pub with a driving range in the middle of it-you have to take a breath test before you can use it though LOL
For little kids-play parks everywhere.Toy libraries,the zoo,special theatre shows beautiful beaches conservation parks etc.
surrounding area is gorgeous -ie Victor Harbour,a proper seaside town-its on a steam train line,great fun.Barossa valley absolutely great.I could go on.Suggest you join Adelaidebrits if you haven't already,you can get loads of info there and chat to people already in Adelaide.Feel fre to PM if you haveany Qs.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gjs
hi,we have been in Adelaide for just over three months.When we first thought about emigrating we planned on either Sydney or Melbourne - Adelaide was not even on our radar at that point.Anyway circumstance brought us here.While doing the visa process the points system changed and SA was the only state open to us that we considered viable so we started to research it.By the time we submitted our visa app. the points system changed again and we could in fact have chose to go anywhere in oz, but decided on Adelaide.Heres why-
Housing- you can get a lot for your money here and you don't have to be living in a crap area or miles away from everything else.We have just bought a plot of land for $175k and will be building a 4bed house on it.Will cost around $200 for house at most.The land is about a 15-20 minute drive from the CBD.
Beautiful surroundings - parks everywhere,all around the CBD and North Adelaide,this is one of the greenest places I've seen.
Restaurants are cheap and so far our experience has been great in every one we've tried.
Culture-There's always something going on here.2nd biggest fringe festival in the world after Edinburgh,cabaret festival was just on,loads of cinemas even a drive in.
Night life -the usual sort of thing -nightclubs bars etc. lots of live music -My daughter is 18 and is having a whale of a time.There's even a pub with a driving range in the middle of it-you have to take a breath test before you can use it though LOL
For little kids-play parks everywhere.Toy libraries,the zoo,special theatre shows beautiful beaches conservation parks etc.
surrounding area is gorgeous -ie Victor Harbour,a proper seaside town-its on a steam train line,great fun.Barossa valley absolutely great.I could go on.Suggest you join Adelaidebrits if you haven't already,you can get loads of info there and chat to people already in Adelaide.Feel fre to PM if you haveany Qs.
Hi,
Second all the above.
we have been here for 18 months now and enjoying life.
The kids are having a ball with so much do to and are out every night with some sort of activity or sport, Im a brilliant taxi driver, Lifes great just bring on the summer.

Liz
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:50 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gjs
Yes, l went to the ice rink at Thebarton, they had an indoor ski slope with arterfical snow.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Anyone in Adelaide

We have been in Adelaide for 1 year today. Some people love it, some hate it and some like me still haven't decided. It really doesn't matter where you go in Australia, there will never be any guarantee you'll like it. If you want to come badly enough and you have to come to South Australia because of the visa type, you will be tied for a couple of years, that's all. You may love it.
If you decide to go for it , then do it with a positive mind and don't look at it as a last resort as many people do.
Alot will depend on what type of things you like to do, whether you have children and what you expect to achieve in Australia.

Good luck in whatever you decide
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by annn
We have been in Adelaide for 1 year today. Some people love it, some hate it and some like me still haven't decided. It really doesn't matter where you go in Australia, there will never be any guarantee you'll like it. If you want to come badly enough and you have to come to South Australia because of the visa type, you will be tied for a couple of years, that's all. You may love it.
If you decide to go for it , then do it with a positive mind and don't look at it as a last resort as many people do.
Alot will depend on what type of things you like to do, whether you have children and what you expect to achieve in Australia.
But , how would you rate it , for those of us who DON'T have children ?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by annn

Good luck in whatever you decide

Thanks everyone for their postings,we are going (or trying to go as the case may be!!) with an open mind and certainly want to go before it becomes a last resort. I am aware that a lot of our friends go when they are approaching a certain time of life and I'd like to go before it becomes just something you feel you have to do. I'd like to make a 'positive choice' about going and because I rad these boards and have read lots of books, I'm not expecting to be rich, I'm not expecting not to work; I would just like to maintain the standard of living I have now without having to work 24 hours a day and I'd like my kids to be outside more and not hauled up inside for 5-6 months of the year. I'm prepared for the fact that we might not like it and might come home but I'm happy with that too. I'd be happier knowing my husband could get a job but we have to be flexible and look around I guess. Thanks.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ray51
But , how would you rate it , for those of us who DON'T have children ?
Sorry Ray but it seems so long ago, before kids, that I really can't say. If you have a city life now then perhaps Adelaide is not for you. Check out my location

For those that may now attack me, I don't care.

Ann
Old Aug 17th 2006, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for their postings,we are going (or trying to go as the case may be!!) with an open mind and certainly want to go before it becomes a last resort. I am aware that a lot of our friends go when they are approaching a certain time of life and I'd like to go before it becomes just something you feel you have to do. I'd like to make a 'positive choice' about going and because I rad these boards and have read lots of books, I'm not expecting to be rich, I'm not expecting not to work; I would just like to maintain the standard of living I have now without having to work 24 hours a day and I'd like my kids to be outside more and not hauled up inside for 5-6 months of the year. I'm prepared for the fact that we might not like it and might come home but I'm happy with that too. I'd be happier knowing my husband could get a job but we have to be flexible and look around I guess. Thanks.
Check out the job sites and get a feel for what is around in hubbys field, some jobs are easier than others to find. So alot will depend on what he does do. Glad to see you're positive about it, so go for it.

Ann
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

For what its worth, Adelaide is my FIRST choice. I was unsure about whether to go to Adelaide or Melbourne initially but after visiting them both earlier this year there's only one choice. Everyone is different and will like or dislike wherever they go.
Adelaide seemed big enough without being the massive sprawl that is Melbourne. Having said that I come from a small northern town and so city life isn't for me.
Just got to wait for a CO now, TRA passed and they've taken my money for the main visa. Then its Adelaide here we come!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:15 am
Just Joined

What are the nice parts of Adelaide that will suit a young family (one will be 5 and the other (not born yet!!) should be nearly 2 if all goes to plan). We would like to be near the beach and in nice schools etc but we don't need to be upmarket and posh. We just want a nice family friendly area. Looking on the internet doesn't really give you a feel for areas and when we go over next year, we've only got a week there so any information that will help us narrow down our search will be really appreciated.

Brighton looks posh - is that true?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Hi,
I have been in Adelaide for 14 months now. We came here through Hubbys work. I had never been to Oz, for us the whole process happened very fast.
We were both 100% for the move to Australia. Although Adelaide hasn't met my expectations of "Australia" and yes i know i am shallow and i was wearing my rose tinted glasses!!!!
I was very naive thinking we would be financially better off (and we came with a reasonable amount) this was not to be so!!
You really have to weigh up your life in the Uk and question what you want from this move. For some it will be the right choice and others a mistake.
But i think it's better to live with a mistake then with regret.
Personally for "me" Adelaide doesn't tick all my boxes.
Like i have said i havn't been anywhere else in Australia, so who am i too judge!
I think, what i am trying to say is...... For us as a family, i don't think the quality of life we have achieved here can ever equate to the loss of time we have missed with our close family and friends in the Uk.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:40 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Desire
Hi,
I have been in Adelaide for 14 months now. We came here through Hubbys work. I had never been to Oz, for us the whole process happened very fast.
We were both 100% for the move to Australia. Although Adelaide hasn't met my expectations of "Australia" and yes i know i am shallow and i was wearing my rose tinted glasses!!!!
I was very naive thinking we would be financially better off (and we came with a reasonable amount) this was not to be so!!
You really have to weigh up your life in the Uk and question what you want from this move. For some it will be the right choice and others a mistake.
But i think it's better to live with a mistake then with regret.
Personally for "me" Adelaide doesn't tick all my boxes.
Like i have said i havn't been anywhere else in Australia, so who am i too judge!
I think, what i am trying to say is...... For us as a family, i don't think the quality of life we have achieved here can ever equate to the loss of time we have missed with our close family and friends in the Uk.
You should try looking at other places in OZ before going back to the UK, l read a post from someone that did'nt like Adelaide but loved Queensland and the Gold coast, perhaps go for a holiday across the border to Victoria and Melbourne and travel up to NSW and Queensland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.