Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone actually seen any snakes

Anyone actually seen any snakes

Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Anyone actually seen any snakes

I've seen plenty of spiders on my vistis to Oz but not many snakes. On my last visit I managed to see two snakes about 2 feet long and a foot long lizard all on a cycle path near the beach.
I don't know who got the bigger fright me or the snake as I was riding a mountain bike each time.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:14 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone actually seen any snakes

Originally Posted by mvagusta
I've seen plenty of spiders on my vistis to Oz but not many snakes. On my last visit I managed to see two snakes about 2 feet long and a foot long lizard all on a cycle path near the beach.
I don't know who got the bigger fright me or the snake as I was riding a mountain bike each time.
Only in taronga zoo.

Snakes are afraid of humans and will only attack if threatened. Stats show very few people in Aust are attacked by snakes.

Live and let live.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Andy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to all

Saw one during a visit to Wilson's Prom. It crossed the walking trail I was on and disappeared, so I couldn't tell you what it was.

I wasn't about to start poking about in the undergrowth to flush it out either!

Seen a couple if lizards too. Took a nice pic of one this year as well. See attached file.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone actually seen any snakes-dsc01190.jpg  
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Quite often see them up on the hills around Canberra - even Mt Ainslie which is right behind the War Memorial. We have had lizards in the back yard and one snake once but they arent that common in suburbia.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:32 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

We had a small one in the hallway, which was trying to hide under the door to escape the attentions of three cats and two dogs. Had no idea what it was, but it was only little, so no worries, yeah? I scooted it out onto the porch with a large cushion and when promptly forgot about it after it slithered away.

Until two days later when a very similar looking snake appeared in the local paper.. having bit some woman on the foot when she'd stood on it in her hallway. She lived two streets away.. and it was an Eastern Brown.

Other than that, we used to get a lot of snakes on the road construction site I worked at in Qld, but they were clearing bush so it was to be expected. They were mostly pythons, but there were also venomous ones too. A digger cut a venomous one in half (accidently) and the stupid foreman couldn't be bothered to wait for the enviro boys to come and deal with it. He picked up the business half lying 'dead' on the road, which promptly bit him on the hand.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:46 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Being banished by Immi to regional Queensland I've seen quite a few but I agree considering the numbers around they like to keep themselves to themselves. I've seen whip snakes when on walking trails and a couple of brown snakes in Townsville, death adders on Maggie Island and a huge carpet python in Darwin. In fact a friend of mine camping near Katherine at Mataranka woke up with a python trying to swallow his leg - got up to the knee....Even the beaches in the Whitsundays and Fraser Island have a few snakes around in the undergrowth. If in doubt wear trousers and don't stick your hands in piles of leaves or under rocks!

Check out this little fella!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Had green tree snake in the garden a couple of weeks ago. Called the snake catcher but it went under the outdoor railway sleeper stairs and she couldn't catch it.

She was there for half an hour. $95 later.

I'll chase/catch my own snakes from now on.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:02 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty at pur place, we try to keep the grass short in the two of the paddocks and the house yard, the other one is left to nature and a habitat for all manner of critters.

We had a carpet snake in the house once, big bugger it was, came in through that cap-flap we think.

Also saw a big one in a park closer to Brisbane CBD and there is a warning at the local school about them.

It's cool, you just learn how to be aware of them and how to react.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:12 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Plenty at pur place, we try to keep the grass short in the two of the paddocks and the house yard, the other one is left to nature and a habitat for all manner of critters.

We had a carpet snake in the house once, big bugger it was, came in through that cap-flap we think.

Also saw a big one in a park closer to Brisbane CBD and there is a warning at the local school about them.

It's cool, you just learn how to be aware of them and how to react.
You've slipped in 'paddocks' and 'house yard' very nicely there. Along the lines of:
'We once caught a python in the moat and an adder in the left wing billard's hall adjacent to the servants' quarters, although smaller snakes are rife amongst the 5 acres as they are attracted by the swans.'
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
You've slipped in 'paddocks' and 'house yard' very nicely there. Along the lines of:
'We once caught a python in the moat and an adder in the left wing billard's hall adjacent to the servants' quarters, although smaller snakes are rife amongst the 5 acres as they are attracted by the swans.'
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:34 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Only in taronga zoo.

Snakes are afraid of humans and will only attack if threatened. Stats show very few people in Aust are attacked by snakes.

Live and let live.
I'm sure you've seen plenty of trouser snakes up close and personal?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:35 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

One would never have a billiard hall adjacent to the servants' quarters. The buggers would never do any work!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:11 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's what they are ... it's where the horses graze ... I'll try again ...

--------------------
Plenty at our place, we try to keep the grass short in the two of the fenced off areas and the bit by the house, the other one fenced off area is left to nature and a habitat for all manner of critters.
--------------------

I'm open to suggestions as to how I can convey we have 3 large areas of fenced-off green space and some around the house without appearing to sound like a landed country gent

Posh this isn't
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

We have several snakes living around our house.....we have even given most of them names

Had a tree snake living under the settee a few weeks ago
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Well, that's what they are ... it's where the horses graze ... I'll try again ...

--------------------
Plenty at our place, we try to keep the grass short in the two of the fenced off areas and the bit by the house, the other one fenced off area is left to nature and a habitat for all manner of critters.
--------------------

I'm open to suggestions as to how I can convey we have 3 large areas of fenced-off green space and some around the house without appearing to sound like a landed country gent

Posh this isn't
Try;
'once caught an adder in the up-on-bricks ute in the yard and spotted a python in K Mart rotary washing line among the high viz shirts. Shanelle, our fifth daughter, was almost bitten by a taipan nesting in the life sized Christmas nativity grotto next to the plastic Buddha water feature.'

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Apr 7th 2011 at 12:18 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.