Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Anyone Actually Migrating Alone?

Is Anyone Actually Migrating Alone?

Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:46 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Is Anyone Actually Migrating Alone?

Only everyone on here seems to be travelling with OHs or family. I've been looking forward to anopther adventure but I'm starting to get quite envious of those going with loved ones.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

moonstaruk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Anyone Actually Migrating Alone?

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
Only everyone on here seems to be travelling with OHs or family. I've been looking forward to anopther adventure but I'm starting to get quite envious of those going with loved ones.
hey there mate, i'm now in the process of looking to head down under! and i can't wait. I have no ties myself so i'm going solo. I'm debating between brisbane and sydney as my location, i have some friends down there at the moment and she has had 4 job offers in the space of a few days all for very good money to. I'm hoping to either transfer with my company or hopefully get a sponsered visa as i've worked in recruitment previously. How about yourself?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:23 am

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

I've been in IT sales for 5 years but am going sponsored as a recruitment agent! I've got a job at a firm in Sydney, pending delays on my visa of course. I'm sadly going to be a leaving my gf behind so not quite leaving with no ties. Head to Sydney mate, its where all the cool folk go!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

bigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nice

I moved over here aged 30 and on my own almost 4 years ago and have never looked back.
I didnt know anyone here but had my job lined up before I left UK.
My plan was to come over for a year just to do something a bit different and now have no intention of going back to live in UK.
I say go for it.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

I've been in IT sales for 5 years but am going sponsored as a recruitment agent! I've got a job at a firm in Sydney, pending delays on my visa of course. I'm sadly going to be a leaving my gf behind so not quite leaving with no ties. Head to Sydney mate, its where all the cool folk go!
Sydney, yeah thats where my friends are so hence between there and brisbane, i just fancied brisbane a little more cos it seems like a greate place, although i'm sure sydney is, the expense mainly put me off though!
Which firm if you don't mind me asking, how is the visa app going? I just finished with my g/f recently hence my decision to actually go and do this now!!!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:42 am

Just a small firm, set up by expats as well funnily enough. Will you be doing recruitment over there? Seems pretty easy to find a sponsor if so.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Just a small firm, set up by expats as well funnily enough. Will you be doing recruitment over there? Seems pretty easy to find a sponsor if so.
not to sure just yet, i work for 1 of the big large sports brands so i'm hoping i can somehow manage to get a job this way hopefully, but if needed yeah i will be working in recruitment as i did it for 5 years! where you gonna be living in sydney and when you going? i bet the g/f isnt happy or she eventually going over to?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Alan- will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

I set up a thread in the UK meet ups section, to try and give folk a chance to meet up and share experience and info.

215 views, but not one positive, home based response.

Hope Oz is a bit more open and friendly !!!

Alan.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:56 am

No, she's got know interest in going over. Very close to her family and loves London so can't blame her but does make things a fair bit harder.
I want to go back to Coogee for a while, maybe Newtown. Will give myself a few months to move around before I settle though. My visa's been held up due to some dispute on a labour agreement between the gvt and the firm handling my application (using 2 3rd party) and at the moment they can't give me any indication of when it might be sorted.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Alan-
Hi all,

I set up a thread in the UK meet ups section, to try and give folk a chance to meet up and share experience and info.

215 views, but not one positive, home based response.

Hope Oz is a bit more open and friendly !!!

Alan.
I never think to look in there, only the meet ups in Oz section. You over the yet?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

I never think to look in there, only the meet ups in Oz section. You over the yet?

Yeah that's what I figured.

It's only recently been split I think, not such a good idea.

Not over yet, but Visa in Hand (136 MODL) and have to validate by June.

Accepted and offer on my house Friday !!!!!!!!!

So maybe homeless for a bit ????

Alan.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan-
Yeah that's what I figured.

It's only recently been split I think, not such a good idea.

Not over yet, but Visa in Hand (136 MODL) and have to validate by June.

Accepted and offer on my house Friday !!!!!!!!!

So maybe homeless for a bit ????

Alan.
where you going alan and what will you be doing>
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moonstaruk
where you going alan and what will you be doing>
Probably flying to Perth Via Singapore, and doing the Giant Loop featured as route in the new lonely planet guide for OZ.

27.000 kms should take about six months, basically just keeping the sea on your right, untill you get back where you started from ;-)

Alan.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Hey!!

I'm planning on going alone. I have an Aunt and Uncle in oz, but that's it. I'm planning on heading for Adelaide initially, don't have a job lined up, will have to look when I get over there, as no chance getting sponsored as an Architect's Associate I don't think.

I too will be leaving my g/f behind if I go, as I don't think she could make the move and would miss her family. And that's what's making the decision hard at the moment really. If it wasn't for her I would be ploughing on, but I'm still 50:50 at the moment.

At least I'm not the only one!!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by xzibit
Hey!!

I'm planning on going alone. I have an Aunt and Uncle in oz, but that's it. I'm planning on heading for Adelaide initially, don't have a job lined up, will have to look when I get over there, as no chance getting sponsored as an Architect's Associate I don't think.

I too will be leaving my g/f behind if I go, as I don't think she could make the move and would miss her family. And that's what's making the decision hard at the moment really. If it wasn't for her I would be ploughing on, but I'm still 50:50 at the moment.

At least I'm not the only one!!
In much the same boat as you mate on the gf thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.