Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone on a 457 and had IVF in Australia? - Medicare Reciprocal Agmnt - PLEASE HELP!

Anyone on a 457 and had IVF in Australia? - Medicare Reciprocal Agmnt - PLEASE HELP!

Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:00 am
Just Joined

lindsayloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone on a 457 and had IVF in Australia? - Medicare Reciprocal Agmnt - PLEASE HELP!

Hi Poms

Im really hoping this post will stand out to anyone who has had IVF treatment in Australia as I really need some advice.

Me and my partner have been her for 2.5years, we have a sponsored 457 visa valid for 4 years from next month (just transferred as partner starting a new job) and have recently found out that in order to conceive, our only chance is to have IVF (ICSI). We were initially advised that to do this it will cost us $12,000 and that Medicare do not cover any of this. However after speaking with a Patient Liason Advisor today at Melbourne IVF she advised that there have been quite a few couples over time in our situation and gave me some 'item numbers' to quote to Medicare so they could tally them up with the system with our details to see if we would be able to claim any cash back through Medicare. At first the lady at Medicare was adament that we wouldnt be able to but when I pushed and asked her to check the item numbers I was given by MIVF she said they were all covered....She actually seemed as surprised as I was! But obviously couldnt deny what was in front of her.

Im hoping to hear from anyone who is also here on a temporary basis and has gone through IVF that can give us some information on your own experience? Im extreeeeeeeeeeemley happy if we do get help because let me tell you $12,000 is a massive financial burden especially with the success rates being 30-40% per cycle. Im hoping and praying that what I have been told today is correct but I cant find any information anywhere about it (I personally think they are trying to keep it under wraps and not advertising the fact which is fair enough really...)

Anyway look forward to hearing from anyone soon

Thankyou

Lindsay X

PS our Medicare card is the reciprocal agreement with 'Visitor' stamped at the bottom...
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:36 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone on a 457 and had IVF in Australia? - Medicare Reciprocal Agmnt - PLEASE HE

Originally Posted by lindsayloo
Hi Poms

Im really hoping this post will stand out to anyone who has had IVF treatment in Australia as I really need some advice.

Me and my partner have been her for 2.5years, we have a sponsored 457 visa valid for 4 years from next month (just transferred as partner starting a new job) and have recently found out that in order to conceive, our only chance is to have IVF (ICSI). We were initially advised that to do this it will cost us $12,000 and that Medicare do not cover any of this. However after speaking with a Patient Liason Advisor today at Melbourne IVF she advised that there have been quite a few couples over time in our situation and gave me some 'item numbers' to quote to Medicare so they could tally them up with the system with our details to see if we would be able to claim any cash back through Medicare. At first the lady at Medicare was adament that we wouldnt be able to but when I pushed and asked her to check the item numbers I was given by MIVF she said they were all covered....She actually seemed as surprised as I was! But obviously couldnt deny what was in front of her.

Im hoping to hear from anyone who is also here on a temporary basis and has gone through IVF that can give us some information on your own experience? Im extreeeeeeeeeeemley happy if we do get help because let me tell you $12,000 is a massive financial burden especially with the success rates being 30-40% per cycle. Im hoping and praying that what I have been told today is correct but I cant find any information anywhere about it (I personally think they are trying to keep it under wraps and not advertising the fact which is fair enough really...)

Thankyou

Lindsay X

PS our Medicare card is the reciprocal agreement with 'Visitor' stamped at the bottom...

Hi - I have no experience of your situation, but the reciprocal Medicare agreement is for "immediate and necessary" care only.
I would therefore be suprised if your potential treatment would fall under that category in any shape or form...

Whatever the outcome with Medicare, all the best
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone on a 457 and had IVF in Australia? - Medicare Reciprocal Agmnt - PLEASE HE

we had IVF but had permenant residency at that point, and the out of pocket costs were minimal.

I would guess they would not be too generous with refunds for IVF on 457s as the country is not going to benefit long term....I had always thought the generous IVF refunds was to increase population and offer benefits to full on migrants.

Thinking about it logically (as I do not know the facts) if IVF subsidies were offered, there would be a degree of "Health Tourism" which would put an added strain on healthcare system....so guess it might be fund it yourself or wait. Generally costs here are much more reasonable than private costs in UK- and there I believe you only get one attempt anyway on NHS.

Good luck
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:59 am
ABCDiamond

That is a bit of a surprise, as they are even talking about cutting it back for high income earning residents, due to the increasing cost to the taxpayer.

Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindsayloo
Hi Poms

Thankyou

Lindsay X

The item numbers you quoted may be Medicare covered, but are they covered for temporary residents? There are different coverages for different visa holders, so I think I would check again with Medicare whether your treatment is in fact covered.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:17 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That is a bit of a surprise, as they are even talking about cutting it back for high income earning residents, due to the increasing cost to the taxpayer.
Yes. I was about to comment along the lines of "And the government wonders where all the money they inject into the health system is going..."

I would be very surprised if the OP were entitled to any moneies back from Medicare for IVF procedures on a 457 visa.

However, does the safety net threshold not kick in for medical costs accrued above a certain amount? Or does that have restricted acccess too?

S
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes. I was about to comment along the lines of "And the government wonders where all the money they inject into the health system is going..."

I would be very surprised if the OP were entitled to any moneies back from Medicare for IVF procedures on a 457 visa.

However, does the safety net threshold not kick in for medical costs accrued above a certain amount? Or does that have restricted acccess too?

S
I think the Medicare safety net is for PR and citizens as well. Although I could be mistaken (I know it's hard to believe, but it has happened.)
Old Aug 27th 2009, 4:09 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

The problem I think you will have is the procedure may be covered by MC but the drugs will not.

The drugs are more than a considerable cost for you too consider.

Try to get them to communicate to you by email so you have it in writing. If it goes pear shaped you recover from them for giving wrong information.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Hey lindsayloo i have just PM'd you so check your email inbox.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
I think they were removing IVF and obstetrics from the safety net from next year maybe????
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think they were removing IVF and obstetrics from the safety net from next year maybe????
Nope, for IVF /ART they are proposing to reduce the amount of rebate percentage you would get back from your out of pocket costs - at the mo it is approx 80% once the safety net threshold is reached. From next year they are talking about reducing that to 50% . And they are talking about capping it so that you can only claim so much out of pocket after the MBS scheduled fees. They are doing this apparently because they think the doctors are taking advantage and charging patients too much in the first place. (go figure - give the patient less back becaase some unscrupulous doctor charges over the odds - doubt the doctors will reduce their fees because you have pretty much no choice about who you go to so they have no competition to speak of anyway).
I don't know about obstetrics for sure but i think it is a similar situation.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Nope, for IVF /ART they are proposing to reduce the amount of rebate percentage you would get back from your out of pocket costs - at the mo it is approx 80% once the safety net threshold is reached. From next year they are talking about reducing that to 50% . And they are talking about capping it so that you can only claim so much out of pocket after the MBS scheduled fees. They are doing this apparently because they think the doctors are taking advantage and charging patients too much in the first place. (go figure - give the patient less back becaase some unscrupulous doctor charges over the odds - doubt the doctors will reduce their fees because you have pretty much no choice about who you go to so they have no competition to speak of anyway).
I don't know about obstetrics for sure but i think it is a similar situation.
Thanks for those figures. What do you mean you have no choice about who you go to?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
Thanks for those figures. What do you mean you have no choice about who you go to?
Sorry, I mean you don't have much choice because there are only a very small number of IVF/ART clinics -only three in Victoria as far as I know. From what I have heard they are all charging pretty much the same - although it is difficult to draw an accurate comparison because they customise the treatment to suit so cannot usually quote up front what the exact fees will be.