Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone *not* shipping a container-full?

anyone *not* shipping a container-full?

Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:43 am
Happy little vegemite

blimeyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone *not* shipping a container-full?

Hi everyone,

I just wondered if there is anyone else out there who is planning to emmigrate but only shipping over the absolute minimum, or has done so.

I've been reading on another thread and it seems most people have used part or all of a container and there is loads of advice to bring along nearly everything.

It is only my husband and I moving to Australia (Jan 07), and we were planning to just ship a few boxes - photo albums, the most wanted dvds & cds etc (most music is on the computer now anyway), a box or two of craft stuff I have (there is so much, I went mad when I first got into scrapbooking and cardmaking, I thought I might as well bring it with me rather than try to sell or give it away and buy a more modest amount afterwards), and really not much else - I'm hoping our clothes will fit into suitcases to take with us.

We aren't sure where we are going to be living when we get there, whether it will be furnished or unfurnished or have any storage space etc, and even how long we will be there when we do rent somewhere, how much space there will be, so we were just planning to bring the minimum and if we need to just go and buy some cheap and cheerful new stuff over there.

Has anyone else done something similar?
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:48 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: anyone *not* shipping a container-full?

Originally Posted by blimeyj
Hi everyone,

I just wondered if there is anyone else out there who is planning to emmigrate but only shipping over the absolute minimum, or has done so.

I've been reading on another thread and it seems most people have used part or all of a container and there is loads of advice to bring along nearly everything.

It is only my husband and I moving to Australia (Jan 07), and we were planning to just ship a few boxes - photo albums, the most wanted dvds & cds etc (most music is on the computer now anyway), a box or two of craft stuff I have (there is so much, I went mad when I first got into scrapbooking and cardmaking, I thought I might as well bring it with me rather than try to sell or give it away and buy a more modest amount afterwards), and really not much else - I'm hoping our clothes will fit into suitcases to take with us.

We aren't sure where we are going to be living when we get there, whether it will be furnished or unfurnished or have any storage space etc, and even how long we will be there when we do rent somewhere, how much space there will be, so we were just planning to bring the minimum and if we need to just go and buy some cheap and cheerful new stuff over there.

Good plan, I came over with my 30kg allowance (Singapore Air kindly added an extra 10kg) and most of that was my guitar stuff.

In retrospect I wish I'd've junked most of my clothes and packed some other stuff.

Travelling light has got to free the mind surely?

Good Luck,
Matt
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all

Originally Posted by blimeyj
Yep, we came over with suitcases and shipped about 8 small boxes of stuff in a shared container - mainly clothes, DVDs, a computer, records, that sort of stuff.

A word of warning though, the "double thickness chemically hardened" cardboard boxes that most of the cargo companies provide you with are in no way adequate for protecting your stuff if they're chucked in the bottom of a container under hunderds of others!

Ed
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Hi there

There was a thread I was reading a couple of days ago about the same and it has companies and quotes on:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397597

If this doesnt lead you straight to it - the thread was titles "Shipping a few boxes......" its a few pages back, last entered at 6.34 on 15/10/06.

Hope this helps.

Watty n Arls