Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyne not shipped their stuff and started from scratch??

anyne not shipped their stuff and started from scratch??

Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of
Default Re: anyne not shipped their stuff and started from scratch??

We haven't decided what we are going to do yet. The cost of a container is quite expenisve and apart from our Miele washing machine and bedroom furniture, nothing is worth that much. Most of our other furniture is from places like Argos and Ikea so we are thinking it may be more cost affective to leave most stuff behind.

I think we will probably get a couple of quotes and then decide. We may just send out a few boxes of personal stuff like photos and books and then buy all new stuff when we arrive.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:02 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

There's always the Freecycle website too.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
Seeings as it seems to cost around £3500 for shipping and looking at our stuff I'm wondering if it is worth bothering. We live in a 2 bed flat and literally have nothing of any worth. Our only decent furniture is our bedroom stuff but our sofa is from argos and all our other furniture is cheapo ikea stuff. personal valuable stuff could probably go in a couple tea chests. I know it can be easier to just get a container and fil it and have everything ready to start out with but for the cost I'm thinking we could probably buy everything new again, it just seems daft shipping over £20 ikea shelves

We sold everything before we came and only shipped pictures and excessive clothes (Husbands of course!)

What we sold it for bought most of our new furniture here. If you have nothing precious then I would say ........... sell it.

The only thing you might find difficult is finding a furnished rental on arrival!

Good luck

Sue
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:02 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeresaG
We haven't decided what we are going to do yet. The cost of a container is quite expenisve and apart from our Miele washing machine and bedroom furniture, nothing is worth that much. Most of our other furniture is from places like Argos and Ikea so we are thinking it may be more cost affective to leave most stuff behind.

I think we will probably get a couple of quotes and then decide. We may just send out a few boxes of personal stuff like photos and books and then buy all new stuff when we arrive.
that sounds like a good idea....be cautious as each time we have shipped boxes there has been a cost at the other end .....the customs and storage at the dock side have been excuses used but is yet another way to get money out of you....each time they said it was all included but if they have your stuff at the dock they can charge you anything they like.. that is another reason not to bring loads of stuff...the more there is the more it cost...some relatives will take special furniture. we had some really nice old stuff (not much) and left it with my sister...i haven't missed it and she has a bit of furniture

buying new stuff is part of the new life bit too
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:06 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulhill
We sold everything before we came and only shipped pictures and excessive clothes (Husbands of course!)

What we sold it for bought most of our new furniture here. If you have nothing precious then I would say ........... sell it.

The only thing you might find difficult is finding a furnished rental on arrival!

Good luck

Sue
A furnished rental is nice, but you can always rent furniture or buy stuff shortly after arrival.

When we arrived we had an unfurnished rental and just our suitcases. The first day we picked up a couple of air mattresses and camping chairs. We used that for about a week until we found some furniture. So it can be done, although there's a bit more of a rush to buying stuff when you do it that way.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

dogscogs is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a tough one, for us the decision was taken out of our hands - a year ago yesterday our flat burned down... most of our stuff was written off by the insurers due to smoke damage. We took the insurance money and moved in with Mum and Dad so we've have been saving ever since

In a way I consider us very lucky since much of the furniture would have got tipped anyway plus we were able to salvage anything of sentimental value.
If you sit down and really think about what you accumulate in life that you don't use from one year to the next, you realise just how much of it you don't need.

I guess the bottom line is this: if it has no sentimental value and it's cheaper to replace than it is to ship, flog it on ebay and buy new when you get to Oz :-)
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:16 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
A furnished rental is nice, but you can always rent furniture or buy stuff shortly after arrival.

When we arrived we had an unfurnished rental and just our suitcases. The first day we picked up a couple of air mattresses and camping chairs. We used that for about a week until we found some furniture. So it can be done, although there's a bit more of a rush to buying stuff when you do it that way.
we moved into a rental and had two bean bags...a second hand fridge and a table made out of a box and piece of glass....

moving to a new country is like starting out for the first time leaving home...
the thing in australia is there are very few furnished houses for rent....
but making do can be fun and outdoor stuff is useful....we bought a tent with us in our hand luggage as we knew we couldn't get a tent like it in australia and we used it to live in and travelled from Sydney to Adelaide..it worked out to be a god send as it kept the cost of living down for us....it's sooo easy to blow loads of money when you first get here...best leaving it in the bank until you have job...doesn't matter what the job is.....don't live on your bulk of money...live like a pauper for a bit
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:19 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dogscogs
It's a tough one, for us the decision was taken out of our hands - a year ago yesterday our flat burned down... most of our stuff was written off by the insurers due to smoke damage. We took the insurance money and moved in with Mum and Dad so we've have been saving ever since

In a way I consider us very lucky since much of the furniture would have got tipped anyway plus we were able to salvage anything of sentimental value.
If you sit down and really think about what you accumulate in life that you don't use from one year to the next, you realise just how much of it you don't need.

I guess the bottom line is this: if it has no sentimental value and it's cheaper to replace than it is to ship, flog it on ebay and buy new when you get to Oz :-)
sorry for you it sucks to have a fire....my mum;s house burned down when i first emigrated in 1986 so all my sentimental stuff from childhood was lost....it hasn't affected my life and all i was worried about was my mum...she was fine but it took her a long time to get over it and she was ripped off by the insurance company
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

dogscogs is an unknown quantity at this point

The insurance companies are weasels :-(

Still I look at it in hindsight now as a positive event (how's that for spin?)
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:47 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dogscogs
The insurance companies are weasels :-(

Still I look at it in hindsight now as a positive event (how's that for spin?)
it's the only way to view it really isn't it?

i just always thought thank god my mum wasn't in at the time.....it was arson by her boyfriend and he intended to kill her in the fire...i was in australia and felt so helpless....it's a long time ago now and we have a laugh about it....he was running around with an axe shouting at the firemen that he had done it and was going to kill my mum!!!! twat!!!!! he went to prison for a three year sentence and was let out with an amnesty after 6 months..get this he got a job as a caretaker in an old peoples home!!!! he died a premature death due to too much smoking and drinking all alone...what goes around comes around......RIP f#$%^head
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:48 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

sorry back to moving......be free of worldly burdens for a while...it will set you free.......
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

We are planning on selling as much of what we have on ebay and or in with the house.

The waredrobes have to stay as they won't come out again in one piece anyway.

Just me my other half and 2 cats!!

The only piece of furniture dear to me is a corner unit my stepdad bought before he died, the plan is to rehome it in the family.

Cx
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

holsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to all

Does shipping your own stuff help with homesickness? This is the only reason we are considering a container. If it does not then I think I would rather travel lite and use the savings to furnish in Oz (but worried about selling this side). Opinions greatly appreciated x
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Originally Posted by comet555

We did rent a fully furnished house for the first six months. It cost $450 a week however at the time it was perfect for us.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I furnished my house in two days and all the big stuff was delivered on the day we moved in (except for our bed base and dining table, which we got 2 weeks later)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.