Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody working in HR in OZ?

Anybody working in HR in OZ?

Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Mhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really nice
Default Anybody working in HR in OZ?

I've seen lots of threads on BE for all sorts of occupations, but none for my own.

What's it like working in HR in Oz? Is employment law similar to UK? What are the job prospects like, particularly in Perth? Is the CIPD qualification recognised?
Old Aug 13th 2005, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Mhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really nice
Default Re: Anybody working in HR in OZ?

Surely there must be some HR people out there??
Old Aug 13th 2005, 9:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mhairi
Surely there must be some HR people out there??

Seemingly not. Have you thought of finding out what the Australian equivalent of the CIPD is?

Jeremy
Old Aug 13th 2005, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Any thoughts on how I could find this out Jeremy?
Old Aug 13th 2005, 10:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts on how I could find this out Jeremy?

A quick browse of the CIPD website leads to a link to:
http://www.wfpma.com/

and a check of the members list confirms that AHRI is the Australian counterpart. http://www.ahri.com.au (although the website appears to be down currently)

I suggest you contact someone at the CIPD dealing with their international relations to see if they have any reciprocal membership or recognition arrangements with AHRI. Assuming this can't be found on either website.

A quick Google search also led to AHRI by using some obvious terms.

There's plenty of really useful information out there for those who look.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 13th 2005 at 10:20 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2005, 11:45 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen lots of threads on BE for all sorts of occupations, but none for my own.

What's it like working in HR in Oz? Is employment law similar to UK? What are the job prospects like, particularly in Perth? Is the CIPD qualification recognised?
This may be a bit thick of me but what does HR stand for?
Old Aug 14th 2005, 2:56 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
This may be a bit thick of me but what does HR stand for?

Human Resources
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:17 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Human Resources
DOH! Silly me, I realised that when you said it lol
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

JayJay 88 will become famous soon enough

Hi Mhairi

I've found a couple of websites for HR jobs in Perth/WA:

www.jobs.wa.gov.au this is jobs in local and central govt

and www.careerone.com.au
this is a general job site.

From what I can see jobs seem to be described in a very similar way to UK - pay seems to be about 1/3 less than UK from what I could see - although at the most senior levels seems to be about the same.

Perth and Western Australia is supposedly going through a huge economic growth, which can only mean good things for HR people!

Personally I am looking for a change - moving into coaching/HR consultancy etc rather than a full time HR Manager job, if and when finances will allow.

Good luck
Jayne
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Lori&Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mhairi

I was a HR manager back in the UK with over 4 years experience although never got round to doing the CIPD before we came over.

I have been looking for a HR job in Brisbane for a couple of months now and all I have to go on is personal experiences the employment laws are very very different and there is a lot of focus on IR here. Here they have state and federal awards which set out the minimum employment conditions for most sectors, then you have state and federal acts which govern workplace conditions, health and safety etc.

The AHRI website generally only lets members search the more interesting sections on their website I am sure there must be a website similar to www.wageline.qld.gov.au for WA which will give you better information, just google State Awards WA and you are bound to find something. I have found that the Australian employers prefer candidates with tertiary qualifications and local/national knowledge, no different to any other employer I guess.

If you don't have the CIPD qualification get some advice from AHRI on your next course of study over here and continue into this as soon as you arrive, this is what I am thinking of doing if the offers don't start comin in soon.

Best of luck with it all.

Lori :-)
Old Aug 15th 2005, 6:13 am
Coogee Rocks

Im working in HR but more systems based...

One of the HR genralists is moving to London to work in a few weeks and we have had a few expats work here, I would think if you can demonstrate experience and have studied an offical HR course you will be fine. (make sure you have evidence of this)

Of course getting you head around the state/federal laws and tax's is interesting to say the least.

Simon