Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody used British Airways to migrate ???

Anybody used British Airways to migrate ???

Old May 26th 2004, 10:05 am
Very happy member !!!

bubcay is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anybody used British Airways to migrate ???

Hi guys,

We (wife, 2 kids - 7 and 3 yrs, and I) are flying to Sydney with British Airways via London (starting in Belgrade), with 2 hrs stopover in Bangkok (change of crew, cleaning).

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about their own experience with the in-flight services (children friendly, plane amenities - "Boing 747-400"), etc, and a general opinion about the flight.

Any opinion is appreciated...

Thanks.
Old May 26th 2004, 10:49 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody used British Airways to migrate ???

Originally posted by bubcay
Hi guys,

We (wife, 2 kids - 7 and 3 yrs, and I) are flying to Sydney with British Airways via London (starting in Belgrade), with 2 hrs stopover in Bangkok (change of crew, cleaning).

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about their own experience with the in-flight services (children friendly, plane amenities - "Boing 747-400"), etc, and a general opinion about the flight.

Thanks.
never done it for emigrating but have done the BA London-Bangkok flight many times on behalf of my previous company (admittedly Business class) and found it to be good. Plane amenities are fine. Dont know about Childrens facilities though, cos dont have any children myself so never had to worry about that side of things.

I prefer Virgin or Cathay Pacific, but that is very much Personal Opinion.

If you have children you might want to consider someone like Royal Brunei cos they dont have jumbos so can only do short flights and I believe you end up stopping in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, then Brunei, then OZ. Works out I think around 7 hours at a time on the plane with about 1-2 hours refueling at each stop. Might be good for kids to give a quick change of environment (and to be able to run around) rather than 14 hours non-stop for the London-Bangkok portion ???? (Plus I've heard they are dirt cheap as well)
Old May 26th 2004, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of
Default BA flights to southern hemisphere

Hi ,

yep, we came over to NZ 12 weeks ago with BA. It was fab, I have a 5yr old boy with tourettes syndrome which is a big problem! And a 15yr old too, well enough said about travel with a teenager! My hubby already in NZ, so coped fine on my own, with BA's help.

BA provided us with excellent services, the food was great, my little boy had a childs meal pre-booked , which there was no faulting. They provided a t.v for each passenger located in back of each seat. The hostess's couldn't have been more helpful too. I would definately fly with them again with the kids.

We came via Singapore, and had a 40 min stop over, then onto Sydney where we had a two hour stop, then on to Christchurch, all in all 27 hrs! My little guy was the only one of us that was still sane by the end of it, so he was obviously quite happy.

Bearing in mind we seemed to sleep and eat our way through the journey, can't say it was too bad!

Deb
Old May 26th 2004, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

I flew to oz with BA and best long haul flight i've ever done! Plus great sandwiches every few hours!!!
Old May 26th 2004, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of

yeah!

best food! Constant! im sure when i wasnt asleep i was eating, they keep throwing the grub at you don't they, lol! Must of arrived a stone heavier, wasn't charged excess baggage for it though!
Old May 26th 2004, 11:43 am
Very happy member !!!

bubcay is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all !

Looks like we made a good choice.

This was one out of three options for us since there are not that many airlines operating from this neck of the woods.

Really appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers
Old May 26th 2004, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

KayCee is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew to KL a while ago with BA and though they were excellant and couldn't fault them. As everyone has said if you're not asleep then they are constantly feeding you and the food wasn't bad - for airline food!!!
KayCee
Old May 26th 2004, 12:10 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Hi guys,

Thanks.

Dont even go there
i flew with British Airways in November last year with my 4 year old, i think we had more legroom flying to Cyprus, the food was bobbins they forgot to add 1 case on the flight and they left my daughters pram in London Heathrow....i had to wait for over 1 hour for the case to arrive on the next flight and 4 days before they could locate the stroller and deliver it to me.
On the way back i was put on another flight another delay and a lost bag yet again which was delivered later that night at 11pm by that time i had totally gone off BA and vowed never ever to fly with them again....
Hope you have more luck than me anyway, i came back to Aussie with Singapore and they were excellent and couldnt fault them at all but thats just me, i bet others have had a rough deal with them but each to his own eh....
Old May 26th 2004, 3:51 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

hi there. we flew out to oz with qantas and they are the best superb they cant do enough for ya but the return flight was with b.a because qantas dont fly into manchester and it was crap.what a shower of shite they are.dont get me wrong the plane was brand new the seats had good leg room and they all had there own t.v screen built into the head rest but the service with b.a was rubbish.we didnt get fed and all they wanted you to do was sleep.it was that bad that we have just booked to go back in january and we paid extra to go with singapore airlines...........beware all manchester flights with qantas are return with b.a from singapore which is a shame because qantas are superb but b.a are complete shite.
Old May 26th 2004, 3:51 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

hi there. we flew out to oz with qantas and they are the best superb they cant do enough for ya but the return flight was with b.a because qantas dont fly into manchester and it was crap.what a shower of shite they are.dont get me wrong the plane was brand new the seats had good leg room and they all had there own t.v screen built into the head rest but the service with b.a was rubbish.we didnt get fed and all they wanted you to do was sleep.it was that bad that we have just booked to go back in january and we paid extra to go with singapore airlines...........beware all manchester flights with qantas are return with b.a from singapore which is a shame because qantas are superb but b.a are complete shite.
Old May 26th 2004, 6:08 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

BA is Ok, but if your looking for a children friendly company than Singapore Airlines is the best.
Old May 26th 2004, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hiya again!

we went with Qantas BA from heathrow to singapore, rufuelled there, then onto sydney where we changed over to plain qantas.

The first haul as far as Sydney was brill, but yes peeps are ryt the leg room was pretty lousy, but if you get comfy sleep takes a hold, even with the kids, but overall, I thought the services were excellent, wouldn't hesitate to use them again! And you won't be hungry, not that i'm obsessed with food! I'm a skinny ginny, but boy it makes a difference to be fed properly , it's uncomfy enuff without lack of sustenence! lol! Good hot meals too, try the bacon and egg roll for brekkie! yum!
Old May 26th 2004, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all !

Looks like we made a good choice.

This was one out of three options for us since there are not that many airlines operating from this neck of the woods.

Really appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Hi, What were the other 2 options?

We are hopefully flying out in August with Malaysia Airlines, we flew with them last year to Oz and they were the best.

Like to hear who the other ones were.

Mark.
Old May 27th 2004, 2:31 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

we flew BA and the Qantas and both airlines seemed to constantly be shoving food under your nose if you werent sleeping (not that I was complaining it was very nice food) the leg room did seem a bit tight on the BA flight but they did have the individual tvs in the seats so the kids were entertained. My hyperactive 4yr old didnt sleep most of the flight so we were all a little worse for wear by the time we reached christchurch nz but who isnt after a long haul flight
Old May 27th 2004, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought BA were pretty good

(nothing to do with the fact they upgraded us from Singapore to Sydney )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.