Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

for anybody transferring money

for anybody transferring money

Old May 25th 2004, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough
Default for anybody transferring money

http://www.tranzfers.com/

appear to be quite good - flat rate of about 7 quid which seems a bit cheaper than some of the others. Also apparantly even faster if you have a Barclays UK account.
Old May 25th 2004, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

cooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: for anybody transferring money

when I'm off I'm looking to be taking a rather substantial amount of money with me and therefore was looking at the various methods of changing it to dollars and transfering it over. Heard a banker on the radio a few weeks ago saying that the best way was to open a bank account here in a Uk branch of ANZ bank (think thats what it was called or maybe Ausbank) then deposit your money into your UK account. When you want to move it over all you have to do is agree the exchange rate (more money you have the more you haggle). Anyone tried this method?
Old May 25th 2004, 12:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by cooks
when I'm off I'm looking to be taking a rather substantial amount of money with me and therefore was looking at the various methods of changing it to dollars and transfering it over. Heard a banker on the radio a few weeks ago saying that the best way was to open a bank account here in a Uk branch of ANZ bank (think thats what it was called or maybe Ausbank) then deposit your money into your UK account. When you want to move it over all you have to do is agree the exchange rate (more money you have the more you haggle). Anyone tried this method?
i did the same, but with hsbc.

Old May 25th 2004, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

Not sure - i'm not that clued up on it all to be honest - I'm just feeling my way around. I was going to open a commonwealth account in london on migrantbanking.com and then transfer money using trazfer to that account which you can use in Oz on your arrival once you activate it.
Old May 25th 2004, 12:39 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone had any dealings with these...

www.worldwidecurrencies.com

On paper they seem to be very good but just wondered what they are like in actual practice?

Sasha
Old May 25th 2004, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

cooks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
i did the same, but with hsbc.
do they have hsbc over there then? if so same difference but may even be easier than trying to find a ANZ bank.
Old May 25th 2004, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes they do - you can go online and fill in an application form and then visit a branch here to complete the application - similar to commonwealth bank i believe.
Cheers
Old May 25th 2004, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JayneS
http://www.tranzfers.com/

appear to be quite good - flat rate of about 7 quid which seems a bit cheaper than some of the others. Also apparantly even faster if you have a Barclays UK account.
emailed them , because i wasnt sure on how they fixed your rate once you order.

They emailed me soon after to say "We dont fix your rate untill funds have cleared"

Now to me that sounds like they cant offer you a rate untill you have given them some money..??? Anyone shed some light.?
Old May 25th 2004, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cooks
do they have hsbc over there then? if so same difference but may even be easier than trying to find a ANZ bank.
The National Australia Bank also owns the Clydesdale, Yorkshire and Ulster Banks so I guess you could go the same route with them - open an account in the UK with one of these to transfer to NAB in Oz. I have a very vague recollection that ANZ has a link with Grindlay's Bank in the UK (??)

OzTennis
Old May 25th 2004, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by itsasecret
emailed them , because i wasnt sure on how they fixed your rate once you order.

They emailed me soon after to say "We dont fix your rate untill funds have cleared"

Now to me that sounds like they cant offer you a rate untill you have given them some money..??? Anyone shed some light.?
I guess they want to see the 'colour of your money' before exchanging. You can only therefore accept the rate prevailing when the funds arrive with them rather than striking a rate at the time of your enquiry (as with HIFX)? This is what it seems to be saying to me.

OzTennis
Old May 25th 2004, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by OzTennis
I guess they want to see the 'colour of your money' before exchanging. You can only therefore accept the rate prevailing when the funds arrive with them rather than striking a rate at the time of your enquiry (as with HIFX)? This is what it seems to be saying to me.

OzTennis

No HIFX your rate is fixed even without showing any money, just as long as you pay.

Tranzfers.com would be no good at all, unless you dumped all your money with them 1st then decided on a rate when it suits you, i guess.?
Old May 25th 2004, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by itsasecret
No HIFX your rate is fixed even without showing any money, just as long as you pay.

Tranzfers.com would be no good at all, unless you dumped all your money with them 1st then decided on a rate when it suits you, i guess.?
just read your post again , yes thats correct oztennis. sorry for my confusion,, still not sure about Tranzfers.com. (It just doesnt seem to offer the same kind of service. )
Old May 25th 2004, 3:20 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just used Tranzfers and they were great
Old May 25th 2004, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

The National Australia Bank also owns the Clydesdale, Yorkshire and Ulster Banks so I guess you could go the same route with them - open an account in the UK with one of these to transfer to NAB in Oz. I have a very vague recollection that ANZ has a link with Grindlay's Bank in the UK (??)

OzTennis

NAB actually owns Northern Bank in Northern Ireland. The Ulster Bank is a different bank entirely, and is NOT owned by NAB.

Oh and NAB owns National Irish Bank in the Republic of Ireland as well.

Anyway, I don't know if opening an account with one of these in the UK would facilitate a transfer to NAB in Oz. I don't think they are linked like that.

JTL
Old May 25th 2004, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

bored brit is an unknown quantity at this point

OzTennis

Tried to do this with the Ulster bank and my bank manager said it couldnt be done so I think I will try hsbc (how do you go about doing it ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.