Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody Sold UK Property Whilst Living in Oz

Anybody Sold UK Property Whilst Living in Oz

Old May 17th 2008, 10:07 am
Just Joined

debs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nice
Default Anybody Sold UK Property Whilst Living in Oz

Hi Guys

Obviously they will be quite a few who don't manage to sell their property and rent when they move out which is now what I plan to do.

Has anybody found it difficult to do from some a long distance? Also, as the property sold and go through ok through this means?

Many thanks

Debbie
Old May 17th 2008, 9:45 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody Sold UK Property Whilst Living in Oz

Originally Posted by debs66
Hi Guys

Obviously they will be quite a few who don't manage to sell their property and rent when they move out which is now what I plan to do.

Has anybody found it difficult to do from some a long distance? Also, as the property sold and go through ok through this means?

Many thanks

Debbie
We're just about to start the process now so I'll let you know how we get on!
Old May 17th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

We sold both of our houses from this end in the last few weeks

Our solicitor just sent all the paperwork by email, which we then had to print off, fill in and post back. No different really from being in the UK and no major dramas - in fact it was nice to be over here and 'try' to forget about it all

I see you're still in the Uk. If i were you i'd get all your anti-moneylaundering ID sent to your solicitor before you come out as that saved us hassle, but i suppose if you sell it a while down the line you can scan id to them?

Last edited by sammyg; May 17th 2008 at 10:05 pm.
Old May 17th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we did - had to move before our UK place was sold.

I just went to the solicitors and signed a blank sale contract and filled in all the forms like what we were going to leave in the house, etc before we went.

We gave the estate agent the keys and they arranged the viewing.

Then when the sale was agreed, the solicitor just wrote the buyers name and the price on the contract. We gave the solicitor our UK bank details and they just did an electronic deposit when the money was received.

All very easy and no need to start sending docs to OZ and back - put some effort in to getting it all set up before you go.

Also don't forget to tell your insurance company that the house is empty.
Old May 17th 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is the ideal way to do it - we wanted to do this but ran out of time
Old May 18th 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

GaznEm is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Anybody Sold UK Property Whilst Living in Oz

Hi, we will also be doing this. I'm a property lawyer here in the UK (or was until I left my job on Friday to leave for Oz), but there's absolutely no reason why you should have any problems doing it this way. The advice to get your evidence of identity and residence (for money laundering checks) to your Solicitor before you go is a good idea to save hassle in the future.

Old May 18th 2008, 8:22 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Are there any tax implications in doing this? I thought that I'd read in Aus&NZ magazine that if you sell your UK home whilst you are in Oz you are liable to pay capital gains on any capital that is released from the sale of the house. I may, however, have misread - that quite often happens when you have two children!