Reload this Page >

Anybody lost their Aussie License due to points? 7 and counting for me

Anybody lost their Aussie License due to points? 7 and counting for me

Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:13 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default Anybody lost their Aussie License due to points? 7 and counting for me

Hi there,

Just got a speeding ticket for driving 112km/h on the Bruce Highway in a 100 zone. The road is is mainly 100km/h, sometimes 110km/h. I got 3 points and $150 fine. The bigger problem was I got caught twice in the first week of getting my Aussie license in Melbourne already - both by the same officer on the same day. I am up to 7 points and am worried about the next 3 years it will take till they expire. After getting the points whilst driving Brisbane to Townsville I kept right on 100km/h for the rest of the way and had the frightening experience of road trains over taking me and many trucks pulling caravans also overtaking (along with 100's of other cars). Seems the normal speed on the Bruce highway is 110 and then some. Anyway, back to the original point - anybody lost their Aussie license due to points? I am commuting 400km each weekend to be with my Aussie partner at the moment so I am doing lots of driving. Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody lost their Aussie License due to points? 7 and counting for me

Originally Posted by joninoxford
Hi there,

Just got a speeding ticket for driving 112km/h on the Bruce Highway in a 100 zone. The road is is mainly 100km/h, sometimes 110km/h. I got 3 points and $150 fine. The bigger problem was I got caught twice in the first week of getting my Aussie license in Melbourne already - both by the same officer on the same day. I am up to 7 points and am worried about the next 3 years it will take till they expire. After getting the points whilst driving Brisbane to Townsville I kept right on 100km/h for the rest of the way and had the frightening experience of road trains over taking me and many trucks pulling caravans also overtaking (along with 100's of other cars). Seems the normal speed on the Bruce highway is 110 and then some. Anyway, back to the original point - anybody lost their Aussie license due to points? I am commuting 400km each weekend to be with my Aussie partner at the moment so I am doing lots of driving. Thanks
A couple of years ago my son got an automatic month's ban in Victoria for speeding.

They really are a pain where speeding is concerned

People from the UK will have to get used to this pretty quick.

Best be careful for a while

G
Old Aug 28th 2004, 8:28 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody lost their Aussie License due to points? 7 and counting for me

Your doing something wrong........................... getting caught
Old Aug 28th 2004, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Its beyond a joke, my wife has lost most of her points, mainly on stretches of highway or main road, top speed was 72klm hour. Our car is driven constantly in third gear trying to keep under the ridiculously low speed limits. Trouble is driving like that (legally on the speed limit) will always attract one person who seems to have missed our laws and they harass by honking on horn or tailgating and on one occasion at night trying to bump her car.

Why people have big powerful cars here is beyond me, you cannot anywhere go over 110 and people do have to stick to it, those stretches are few and far between and in reality most of your life driving locally you will need to be travelling between 30 and 70klm hour. Having driven in UK apart from the usual traffic jam nightmare spots, I would prefer driving there anyday.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 9:31 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

My hubby received two speeding fines in the 6 months we were in Brissy in the space of about 3 weeks , he has never had one here in the UK in the 20+ years that he has driven
Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:58 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

The best advice is to stick in the limits.
All states are obsessed with enforcing speed limits both in cities and in the country- remember smokey and the bandit ?
I lost my licence for a month a couple of years ago.
Citylink tollway said their variable speed camera was set at 40kms and i was doing 76 , a little under the normal limit .As a result i lost my licence for a month.Considered fighting it as i knew they's done something wrong, but hey,who wants lawyers fees.
The Bracks (Vic) Govt is refunding and compensating drivers on the Western ring road who have been fined and or lost licences , as a result of faulty technology in speed cameras.
The thing about speed cameras is that they photograph the number plate and not the driver...so it was the wifr/mother in law/Aunt driving , right ?
The obsession with raising revenue off motorists has been very sucessful, the idea that this will have a massive impanct on a significantly low death rate has as much legs as the ' just say no' drugs campaign.
When you look at the stats of fatalities in Victoria you will seee that nearly half the death rates are in the country and one third are single vehicle accidents with cars coming off roads and hitting immovable objects, like trees.
The Govt love to play with stats and will tell you how the road toll is down compared to last year.What they don't tell you is that last year was a record high.When you look at the stats over the past 5 years, the current policy of opressive enforcement has had no inpact at all on fatalities.
It's a pity that the Govts use dead people for their own political games.
Did you know that it is not an offence to drive a car in reverse along a major highway. in Victoria.....Please Bracksy get you act together
If the Govt was serious about reducing the death rate, they would remove the trees that litter every single highway for a start.
That would give them plenty of firewood with wich to start a fire under their current opressive policy.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:07 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I think both sides of state government love this revenue raiser. In NSW I stick to 10 over which keeps me a safe distance from 15 over which is a cut over to a higher fine and 3 points. So far I have not been stopped.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...nts/index.html

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul.../speeding.html

Note the fine for doing 45kmh over. $1597.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:48 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not seen a thread about speed cameras on here for a while so though it time to resurrect one.

The missus just got a ticket for doing 64km/h in a 60km/h zone. The fine was just over AUD$100 plus three points on licence.

I heard on talksport news the other day that back in the UK the government has just put hidden speed cameras along the M4. Anyone have any more info/experiences/news about this??

regards
NJJ

PS - I see the road death toll on the victorian roads here is up loads on this time last year.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by NJJ
Not seen a thread about speed cameras on here for a while so though it time to resurrect one.

The missus just got a ticket for doing 64km/h in a 60km/h zone. The fine was just over AUD$100 plus three points on licence.

I heard on talksport news the other day that back in the UK the government has just put hidden speed cameras along the M4. Anyone have any more info/experiences/news about this??

regards
NJJ

PS - I see the road death toll on the victorian roads here is up loads on this time last year.
I noticed that Victoria is estimated to rake in $150million a year in speed fines whilst it is about 50 million in each of the other states. Must be that they target for the slightest infringement.

Still no points for me but I try to be careful.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:13 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I found something about the M4 cameras:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/4440349.stm
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:13 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joninoxford
Hi there,

my hubby is in this postion too -almost up to full points, I think three more points and he is up to the limit. One of them ( three points I think he had for this - I don't mean one as in one point) is just for a seatbelt - if he's caught speeding again (by a camera, he's buggered if it's a police man that pulls him over)- I'm going to have to say it was me and have the points on my licence for him

You can argue your case in court if you have max points, saying you need it for your job. A bloke with us in work got done for drink driving, he went to court and argued he would lose his job without a licence. They put him on probationary (year - I think) licence, with rules - he must only drive in the hours of work, to get there and back etc.

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 14th 2005 at 4:09 am.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:25 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bondipom
I noticed that Victoria is estimated to rake in $150million a year in speed fines whilst it is about 50 million in each of the other states. Must be that they target for the slightest infringement.

Still no points for me but I try to be careful.

Bracks & co are arrogant, two-faced lying c%#ts. I dare to say it but he is worse than Tony Blair in this regard. Just a few days ago Bracks and his entourage left for a taxpayer-funded tour of India And Europe. Like a (Australian) friend of mine here said, the Bracks governement now has so much gluttony on behalf of the taxpayer that the Victorian public are now half-used to the state government treating them with contempt, and therefore are allowed to get away with it.

Bracks' holiday last year was an "industrial relations" visit to Lebanon - which just happens to be where his family migrated from. Co-incidence??

NJJ
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by NJJ
Bracks & co are arrogant, two-faced lying c%#ts. I dare to say it but he is worse than Tony Blair in this regard. Just a few days ago Bracks and his entourage left for a taxpayer-funded tour of India And Europe. Like a (Australian) friend of mine here said, the Bracks governement now has so much gluttony on behalf of the taxpayer that the Victorian public are now half-used to the state government treating them with contempt, and therefore are allowed to get away with it.

Bracks' holiday last year was an "industrial relations" visit to Lebanon - which just happens to be where his family migrated from. Co-incidence??

NJJ
I believe Jeff Kennet was just as admired. The independants are giving the established parties a scare in NSW. Labour and the liberals are sometimes ganging up on them to maintain the status quo.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:18 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NJJ

My Hubby got done by a camera just the other day and the fine was $128 but only 1 point off the licence. He was caught doing 61 in a 50 zone. Wonder why the points are different? We are in Victoria too....
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Hels
My Hubby got done by a camera just the other day and the fine was $128 but only 1 point off the licence. He was caught doing 61 in a 50 zone. Wonder why the points are different? We are in Victoria too....
That was about the same in NSW, at 58 in a 50 zone.. But they have now upped it to 3 points, but reduced the fine.
NSW at 4th April 2005
Not more than 15 km/h 3 Points $75
More than 15 km/h but not more than 30 km/h 3 Points $208
More than 30 km/h but not more than 45 km/h 4 Points $579
More than 45 km/h 6 Points $1,597

There are licence suspension periods, for exceeding the speed limit by more than 30 km/h (3 months), and by more than 45 km/h (6 months).
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul.../speeding.html

QLD Fines
Driving less than 13 km/h over the speed limit 1 Points $100.00
Driving at least 13 km/h, but not more than 20 km/h 3 Points $150.00
Driving more than 20 km/h, but not more than 30 km/h 4 Points $250.00
Driving more than 30 km/h, but not more than 40 km/h 6 Points $350.00
Driving more than 40 km/h over the speed limit 8 Points $700.00
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...t_Offences.pdf

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Apr 14th 2005 at 4:46 am. Reason: adding [url]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.