Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody live in a wooden home??

Anybody live in a wooden home??

Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:00 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anybody live in a wooden home??

Originally posted by nickyc
Have you ever taken a drive thu South Coogee/North Maroubra? There are some places there that have to be seen to be believed. Very much in the style of 'Rich Italian Fruitshop Owner With Too Much Money Trying to Impress the Relatives Back Home'.

Storey Street has some prime examples.
I have seen some of them. Kogorah and Brighton has some fine examples of the Parthenon.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I lived in AUckland which is considered a milder part of NZ and we had a woodburner.... we froze our butt off in winter!! If you intend to have a home that is open plan do NOT use this form of heating.

I am so puzzled as to why they wont install central heating over there, especially as the houses are bigger and harder to heat
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

When I arrived I thought there was no way I'd buy a wooden house (largely from ignorance and a wish to invest in bricks & mortar) but in the end bought a wooden 1920’s Californian bungalow. It has real character and is heritage listed, in the long run a better investment than the McMansion.

The Californian style house is very popular in Melbourne. One hint on buying a wooden house – try and get one that has been re-stumped with concrete stumps, this can be expensive to do and it is the type of renovation that you can’t enjoy.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 7:16 am
Just Joined

silv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I live in a wooden character home in Malborough NZ. As it is sunny here all year round the house catches the sun which pretty much heats it during the day.

We have a good woodburner in the lounge which is on at night and sometimes is left on overnight. You get various sizes of woodburners just make sure yours is a decent one. We also have a portable gas heater in the kitchen and use an electric blanket and manage pretty well on that. After living in some ancient old cottages in Scotland that were difficult to heat we find things no worse here. Plus our heating bill for wood is $80 for the entire winter rather than 80 pounds a month in Scotland for solid fuel.

Who wants to sit around in their shirt sleeves anyway. You can always put on a extra jersey if necessary. After all it is only in the last 30 years or so that central heating became the norm in the Uk. Insultation called Pink Batts if often used in the roof space. I think some people put polystryne under the floor aswell.

I hope you enjoy your character home there are some lovely ones around. If you are doing yours up you will find lots of places selling second hand house parts ie old doors, wood fittings etc. Great places for poking around in!

cheers

Silv
Old Jan 9th 2004, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Just get over your built in predjuice and you will be OK. I lived in one for 6 years in Auckand and it worked out great. It did have one of those old Visor wood burners which are hopeless, it through out more smoke than heat but all I did was rip it out and use a portable gas heater during the colder months. Comming from the UK I was used to cold weather and I found Auckand a breeze compared to the UK.

You don't say where you are in NZ, Dunedin is going to be a lot colder than Auckland. Summer temp were never a problem because it rarely gets above 30C and so I used to just through the windows open.

And yes having a wooden house does make it eaiser to rip out walls (so long as it's not load beearing). As far as I remember termites aren't a problem in NZ but Borer beetle are so just get an inspection done and you will be fine.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

THe house is in Canterbury which does get very cold in the winter, but as you say a good heater and some extra jumpers will do the trick!

It looks such a nice house and has a big garden which is a plus for me and it is well in my price bracket another important factor, I shall just have to wait and see what the builders report comes up with.

If the renovations are too costly then I will have to look at other options.