Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody hitting Refresh on seek.com.au every two minutes?

Anybody hitting Refresh on seek.com.au every two minutes?

Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice
Default Anybody hitting Refresh on seek.com.au every two minutes?

I seem to be spending the vast majority of my time doing this at the moment, along with my email account, with the phone close at hand in case anyone chooses to get back to me.

Anybody like me feeling really fed up with job hunting?

There are some recruiters out there that are just impossible to break through, despite being well qualified and experienced for the jobs that they are advertising.

Have managed to get two interviews over the past few weeks and neither of them got back when they said they would. Grrrrrrr

If I went home now I could live with my parents for free, see my mates, and possibly experience some warmer weather.

Moan over.

Simon
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:39 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anybody hitting Refresh on seek.com.au every two minutes?

and youd catch Everton in the FA cup final!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

The thing that gets me is recruitment agents that get you in for a chat - when they don't have any jobs to offer you!? It's almost as if they think we have nothing else better to do all day....don't they know that we are very busy with being on ex-pat forums, watching Ellen, constantly eating toast etc etc......
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SamSi
The thing that gets me is recruitment agents that get you in for a chat - when they don't have any jobs to offer you!? It's almost as if they think we have nothing else better to do all day....don't they know that we are very busy with being on ex-pat forums, watching Ellen, constantly eating toast etc etc......
I totally feel your pain.

In the past year I have had 12 chats with recruitment agents regarding specific roles and not one of them has ever come to anything at all.

I get quite excited when I see roles advertised by the company themselves as you get quite a different response!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:10 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Recruitment agencies are in it to make money. So they pander to the people paying then (the companies) and not the fodder (us lot).

Aus is all about who you know not what you know. The way to get a job is to network and meet everyone. Find the company you want to work for and go to the nearest pub on a Friday lunchtime and get chatting to the other customers. Sooner or later you'll talk to the guys in the know there and get your foot in the door. Getting a job from seek.com.au is like waiting for Santa to bring you something other than socks or Y-fronts....

Good luck!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:18 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Recruitment agencies are in it to make money. So they pander to the people paying then (the companies) and not the fodder (us lot).

Aus is all about who you know not what you know. The way to get a job is to network and meet everyone. Find the company you want to work for and go to the nearest pub on a Friday lunchtime and get chatting to the other customers. Sooner or later you'll talk to the guys in the know there and get your foot in the door. Getting a job from seek.com.au is like waiting for Santa to bring you something other than socks or Y-fronts....

Good luck!
100% agree. The OP needs to get out there and cold call and be more proactive than just hitting the F5 button every so often
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

I know of a job where there were nearly 70 applicants and it ended up being given to someone who hadn't even applied. It's all about who you know.
I've only ever had four proper jobs and two of those were never advertised.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

LiseM is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, on a positive note, I just secured a job through the seek website.
Been hunting for the past month, have joined a number of agencies & had to endure the painful time consuming 'come in for a chat & register' process....but I do get that they need to view what you look & sound like in person as you will represent their company when they send you out to interviews.

Anyway - applied for an assortment of jobs via agencies & companies directly advertising on the website. Applied for a particular job & was told by the agency (AFTER I'd had to go in & register with them) that the job had been filled
They then called me days later & said it was actually back on the market, company needed a temp asap & would I go in to help out.....thought hmmmm suppose it's better than nothing, got my foot in the door & was promptly offered the job by the company

Have been to 2 interviews & had numerous interview like conversations over the phone with 1 particular company - who asked me to temp for them before they would decide if I was 'right' for the job. Told them I was already committed to the current job for x amount of time & they said ok we'll get back to you - have heard NADA since then......and it was after I'd told my friends & family that I'd thought all the interviews had gone well

So you just don't know how things are gonna go but keep up with the job websites & anything else you can think of & eventually the perseverance will pay off.......& make you appreciate that pay cheque all the more!

*And as an aside -the company has a number of ex pats working for them so it's not all doom & gloom out there - just time consuming to secure a place*
Old May 1st 2009, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by perksy
100% agree. The OP needs to get out there and cold call and be more proactive than just hitting the F5 button every so often
Doing all of that thanks.

Not just sitting on my backside waiting for something to appear.

Its a shame that many cold calls result in referals back to their 'recruiter of choice'.

I have had some luck by speaking to the recruiter, finding out who the company is thats recruiting, and then just happening to call/email them on the off chance.

I will not be beaten!!
Old May 1st 2009, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough

When we were deciding to come over here my DH contacted a few different agencies and applied for a job direct as well. He got offered the job he applied for direct and decided to come and have a look at it to see if it would suit us or not, while on that trip he got the agencies to set up 4 meetings for him with other companies. He got offered 3 of the 4 jobs that he also had meetings with and took one of those so recruitment agencies worked for us