Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody got solar heating for the swimming pool?

Anybody got solar heating for the swimming pool?

Old Sep 29th 2004, 4:55 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Anybody got solar heating for the swimming pool?

Just checking out the cost and efficiency of installing a roof level solar panel. Roughly, it seems for about USD1500 or less I could get a system that would increase water temp by about 3-4C and maybe prolong swimming season by a month or so.

As the pool is small in surface area but deep all round, I figure it's going to be refreshingly freezing unless I get it heated.

And the dacha has a perfectly positioned south facing (in Europe) roof.

Anybody can tell me more or if the solar heating system works OK? We get loads of sunshine and hot weather May-Mid Sept.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 5:50 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anybody got solar heating for the swimming pool?

Originally Posted by Don
Just checking out the cost and efficiency of installing a roof level solar panel. Roughly, it seems for about USD1500 or less I could get a system that would increase water temp by about 3-4C and maybe prolong swimming season by a month or so.

As the pool is small in surface area but deep all round, I figure it's going to be refreshingly freezing unless I get it heated.

Anybody can tell me more or if the solar heating system works OK? We get loads of sunshine and hot weather May-Mid Sept.

Should be an interesting response Don.

No one mention solar power much.

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 29th 2004, 6:41 am
Just Joined

breaks_head is an unknown quantity at this point

Our solar heating dun work for shit. haha, or maybe its just because we live in Melbourne where the sun dont shine?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 7:13 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by breaks_head
Our solar heating dun work for shit. haha, or maybe its just because we live in Melbourne where the sun dont shine?
Is that bird shit? Maybe you should try cleaning it off?
Get a scarecrow too. That might help.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:51 am

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Don,
Forget solar heating there`s a new heating product just come out that we will be installing and it costs $700 per year to heat an average size pool with this heater. Only just receivied info on it, and if you`re interested, I will get some more info for you and send it to you. Regards Rob
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:45 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by robertd
Dear Don,
Forget solar heating there`s a new heating product just come out that we will be installing and it costs $700 per year to heat an average size pool with this heater. Only just receivied info on it, and if you`re interested, I will get some more info for you and send it to you. Regards Rob

Rob, would love to hear more about this new product ....... any chance?

Thanks, Dawn
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:57 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don

Hey Don,
I read an article very recently [don't know where, it could have been on here even]about a guy who built a therapy pool for his very sick child. To enable prolonged use he ran the pipes to and from the filter system above ground in black pipes. I seem to recall they were actually looped up and down his barn roof, positioned to maximise exposure to sunlight. After a few weeks the temperature rise was significant for the child to use the pool for a considerable time longer than is usual here.
As for solar heating we have a "solarhart" system on our roof and it provides ample hot water for 4 adults and 2 children. We only shower though as we're on tank water.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Call me naive..... but I would have thought Aus would be a good place for solar heating I know you're not there Don, but none of the houses on real estate sites seem to have the panels. Why? If it is a very good obvious reason I will happily admit to being a numpty
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:04 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Call me naive..... but I would have thought Aus would be a good place for solar heating I know you're not there Don, but none of the houses on real estate sites seem to have the panels. Why? If it is a very good obvious reason I will happily admit to being a numpty
Why the hell would you want to heat your home here? It's 20 odd outside now and it's only spring. Now solar powered air con that would be another story
Old Sep 29th 2004, 3:01 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Anybody got solar heating for the swimming pool?

Originally Posted by cresta57
Hey Don,
I read an article very recently [don't know where, it could have been on here even]about a guy who built a therapy pool for his very sick child. To enable prolonged use he ran the pipes to and from the filter system above ground in black pipes. I seem to recall they were actually looped up and down his barn roof, positioned to maximise exposure to sunlight. After a few weeks the temperature rise was significant for the child to use the pool for a considerable time longer than is usual here.
As for solar heating we have a "solarhart" system on our roof and it provides ample hot water for 4 adults and 2 children. We only shower though as we're on tank water.
Cheers, all.

As re: DIY solar heating, I was certainly thinking of having a go if a real system is too expensive. As it is, leaving a 50m dark green 3/4 inch hose in the sun for 25 minutes in summer gets me a piping hot shower (via sprinkler) for about 3 mins if I'm not greedy with the flow.

I was thinking I could maybe put 200m of hose pipe on the sloping south-facing roof linked to a slow pump from the pool? Would just have to invent a nice pattern and think of a good way to attach it to the roof. I estimate cost of that would be about GBP60 for the hose and fittings, another GBP50 for the pump - should last about 5 years.

What do you reckon?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 4:28 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Don
Cheers, all.

As re: DIY solar heating, I was certainly thinking of having a go if a real system is too expensive. As it is, leaving a 50m dark green 3/4 inch hose in the sun for 25 minutes in summer gets me a piping hot shower (via sprinkler) for about 3 mins if I'm not greedy with the flow.

I was thinking I could maybe put 200m of hose pipe on the sloping south-facing roof linked to a slow pump from the pool? Would just have to invent a nice pattern and think of a good way to attach it to the roof. I estimate cost of that would be about GBP60 for the hose and fittings, another GBP50 for the pump - should last about 5 years.

What do you reckon?
Don,
they normally use copper pipe soldered onto a copper plate, and the lot is painted black!
The copper plate heats up & then conducts the heat to the water in the tubing.
A central heating pump should do it quite well.

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 29th 2004, 4:30 pm
Happy Daddy

Why the hell would you want to heat your home here? It's 20 odd outside now and it's only spring. Now solar powered air con that would be another story
Hiya,
you could alway's go for solar pannels!

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry?? For the past few months you have all been complaining about how pigging cold it was and how no house had any insulation! Presumably you still use hot water for showers etc and might want warmish water in the pool to use it more.

It was just a question, no need to get snotty
Old Oct 1st 2004, 9:11 am

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmf
Rob, would love to hear more about this new product ....... any chance?

Thanks, Dawn
Dear Dawn,
The product is called a quantum water heater. It absourbs heat energy from the ambient air then transfers it to the pool water. The quantum heater can produce up to 4 times more heat energy than the power they consume. If you want any more info PM me your fax number and I will fax you the brochure. Regards Rob
Old Oct 1st 2004, 12:26 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Don,

Running the pool water through pipes over your roof is quite common.... also can be run through pool fences... also a pool blanket is quite effective

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.