Reload this Page >

Anybody got experience working/ living in Karratha

Anybody got experience working/ living in Karratha

Old Aug 29th 2006, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Lano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anybody got experience working/ living in Karratha

Hi everybody,

There might be a slight (minor) change that a large mining company will offer me a job in Dampier/ Cape Lambert (near Karratha). I'm awaiting the outcome of the first job interview by video conference (which was an interesting experience by the way). Previously I have been in the area, so I know it is hot and beautiful overthere. Has anyone of you experience in living and or working there? I'd like to ask you a couple in that case!!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 5:50 pm
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anybody got experience working/ living in Karratha

No
Old Aug 29th 2006, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

dig deep is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there i lived and worked around port headland back in 03,spent quite a bit of time in karratha,as well.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dig deep
hi there i lived and worked around port headland back in 03,spent quite a bit of time in karratha,as well.
Hi Dig deep,

I'm interested to learn how it is to work and live in a dusty, expensive and hot mining city? The outback adventure attracks me (karijini in the backyard, Dampier archipelago reachable by boat, blue warm water, white beaches, great outdoor possibilities, but how is it to live in cities like Port Hedland and Karratha. Is it easy to integrate in the community? Is there a lot of going on? Crime? Good place to raise kids? What's your experience, pros and cons, things you'll never forget. What did you make to leave Port Hedland??
Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:33 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I have only spent a day in Tom Price but lots of people I work with have been up that way.

I think Dampier-Karratha (two towns have effectively merged into one) is supposed to be the best option. That is really a Rio Tinto place - Port Headland is the BHP place because of where their ports are / rail lines go to.

Tom Price is very much a company town (was owned by Rio until a few years ago). The company has built some really nice houses which are offered to staff at a very low rent with discounted utilities too. There are only about 20 shops. I think a lot of people are only there on rotation but those who live there must have a strong community spirit - there isn't much else to do. Apparently there are loads of young kids in town - a sign there isn't much else to do at night As I say I think the coastal towns are much bigger.

We spent an hour at Karjini NP and it is fantastic scenery (about 5 hours from the coast). I think an interest in fishing / camping and other outdoor activities would be an advantage.

And if you feel the need for the bright lights of Perth (all things are relative) there are a few flights a day at under 2 hours.

There are a few photos of the area on my blog (see signature)
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lano
Hi everybody,

There might be a slight (minor) change that a large mining company will offer me a job in Dampier/ Cape Lambert (near Karratha). I'm awaiting the outcome of the first job interview by video conference (which was an interesting experience by the way). Previously I have been in the area, so I know it is hot and beautiful overthere. Has anyone of you experience in living and or working there? I'd like to ask you a couple in that case!!
It's supposed to be OK. Are you living on site? because I've heard rental houses in Karratha are going for $800 a week plus
Old Aug 30th 2006, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by renth
It's supposed to be OK. Are you living on site? because I've heard rental houses in Karratha are going for $800 a week plus

I will be living on-site so no FIFO
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Anybody got experience working/ living in Karratha

Hi everybody,

Hi there,
If you do a search for 'karratha' on here there are several past threads about it.We might be going to Karratha later this year as hubby has been offered a job there.
We went there in June for a short visit and liked it,there seems to be lots to do if you like the outdoor stuff like camping,fishing,boating etc.
Most people seem to say that it's OK for a few years.
Good luck with the job!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody,

Changed since I worked there in early 80,s on the dom gas plant and then mid /late 80,s on 1st stage of Lng export.The drive from Karratha to Dampier was like a race track on a country road,the topless barmaids are on at Karratha tavern on thursdays FIFO from Perth.Nichol bay hospital was not very well equiped.Camp meals were good,sports,swimming pool,walk in movies on the camp.Cyclone season is around Xmas and the rain can be unbelievable,dry creek beds turn into 40 mile wide rivers,everything is tied down.The yugoslavians were brilliant at table tennis I could watch them for hours.The pub in Dampier has a good view of sunset and the beach is nice but very small.Port Hedland is a dump about 3hrs drive north,the red dust gets into everything,south hedland should be avoided.Around an 8 hr drive to Broome which is nice but turning into a club med thing now probably.The heat got me down as waking up at 5 am to 38C to start work at 6am was tiring.Talking to the blokes that come back nothing has changed much they say,if I was 25 yrs younger I would do it all over again.Take the job if you get it if only for the experience.