Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anybody going 'rural'?

Wikiposts

anybody going 'rural'?

Old Sep 25th 2003, 7:28 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

We are hoping to end up in Townsville, although we may be in Brissie for the first year or two.

My master plan is to eventually have some kind of smallholding, withing commuting distance of the town. My wife will do her accountant work bit to keep us in beer vouchers, and I will work as a photographer, occasionally suplimenting my income with a bit of geological contract work.

Its ma dream man What we want to work towards !

And being up north.....as the lilt ladies say. Its totallly trooopical.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 7:36 am
WBB

Originally posted by PeteY
We are hoping to end up in Townsville, although we may be in Brissie for the first year or two.

My master plan is to eventually have some kind of smallholding, withing commuting distance of the town. My wife will do her accountant work bit to keep us in beer vouchers, and I will work as a photographer, occasionally suplimenting my income with a bit of geological contract work.

Its ma dream man What we want to work towards !

And being up north.....as the lilt ladies say. Its totallly trooopical.

townsville is a cool place, spent 3 weeks there and enjoyed
very hot though

p.s watch out for the power puff girls

Old Sep 25th 2003, 7:40 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

hi pete.

I hope it all works out for you. It sounds like a great plan indeed.

One of my biggest worries will be the plan falling apart at the last minute, not getting enough money for my house, exchange rate falling like a bomb, and the house prices going through the roof over there.

My backup plan is to stay here in the UK, even if i get my visa. I'll go over there for a bit of a holiday and validate (?) my visa. Then i'll just sit here until things look more rosey, waiting for the right moment to jump on the plane and leave this place behind.

well like i say, i've got a long way to go.

hope it all goes well.cheers

leigh
Old Sep 25th 2003, 8:56 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anybody going 'rural'?

hi scutteruk,
did you look at the rural estates website someone put on here a couple of weeks ago?? dead cheap rural land....had us smiling!!
surely commuting through rural australia is far more relaxing than the commute in dreary uk? I used to commute to London from watford, and it was a good 60 min + journey- wouldnt imagine you encountering thr horrendous traffic you'd get in uk? I used to find the long journey gave me chance to unwind and was nice and relaxed by the time I got home.

sue

Originally posted by scutterUK
hellow fellow forumites. I've been looking at house prices and the exchange rate in auz lately and have come to conclusion that by the time i get to auz i might not have enough money to buy a house. Or should i say, with my deposit and the maximum i can borrow with a mortgage i still wont have enough to buy a house in canberra or surrounding suburbs.

I've seen and heard that housing in 'Rural' areas are cheaper.... has anyone ever seriously considered buying a house in a rural area or is it just me? How far out of a city would i have to get to become rural?

Also is there anyone out there with any first hand knowledge of good/bad areas around canberra and its suburbs?

Any advice, jokes, leg pulls would be very welcome.... and yes i do know canberra isn't the hotspot of social activities, but you go where the job is don't ya?.

thank yaz.

Leigh

Sorry got bored at work and thought i'd see what you all think.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 7:25 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

True about Canberra - it is basically surrounded by a whole load of nothing, so you wouldn't have a problem finding something rural, but still within striking distance of Canberra. Got a mate who lives on a property in Yass which isn't that far away...

Live in a city and you could be anywhere. Live out in the sticks and you'll know you're in Oz...
Old Sep 25th 2003, 9:05 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: anybody going 'rural'?

Hi sue.

Yeah in a way that site was the seed that gave me the idea. I laughed at the time, but the more i thought about it the more it seemed to make sence. From what i can remember there were places on there where i could by outright with just my deposit money, . I'd probably have to live in the middle of the outback but hey, i wouldn't have a mortgage to worry about.

i can't find the link now, i've searched for it but it's not obvious from the results. I don't suppose you can remember the thread or bookmarked the link?

You're right about the long rides home. A few years ago i was the studio manager for a very busy graphic design company. Leaving work before 8pm was considered an early night. Even then i had a 40 minute drive home, and it really does help you to wind down. By the time i was home, my mind had left work and was thinking about the misses and the welcome i'd get on arrival.

Now though, i live only 5 mins from work and by the time i get home i'm still thinking about work, or these days leaving work and moving to auz. There's no welcoming arms when i walk through the door either which doesn't help, i miss that ... ah well. At least i leave 5.30 everyday.

Bundy, you couldn't be more right. Why more to australia to live in a suburb which looks like any other country, well sort of. The sparrows are bigger and look more like parrots, and the house spiders have more of an attitude, but apart from that. The more i think about it the more i could see myself living the semi-rural life. Well it would make a change from doncaster! haha.

thanks again.

Leigh
(back to work... )

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hi scutteruk,
did you look at the rural estates website someone put on here a couple of weeks ago?? dead cheap rural land....had us smiling!!
surely commuting through rural australia is far more relaxing than the commute in dreary uk? I used to commute to London from watford, and it was a good 60 min + journey- wouldnt imagine you encountering thr horrendous traffic you'd get in uk? I used to find the long journey gave me chance to unwind and was nice and relaxed by the time I got home.

sue