Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody flown 34 weeks pregnant?

Anybody flown 34 weeks pregnant?

Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:30 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anybody flown 34 weeks pregnant?

Due to a family issue back in the UK we have to fly back as soon as possible.

My wife will be 34 weeks pregnant and we're both obviously concerned about the flight and the possibilities of what could happen.

Has anyone done the same flight at that late a stage of pregnancy and how did it go?

Any advice gratefully received.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody flown 34 weeks pregnant?

I suspect no airline will carry you at that stage of pregnancy. You will need to check with the airline and you may need a doctor's referral.

I think most airlines won't carry you past about 28 weeks.

Hope you get it sorted.

Buzzy
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:34 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I suspect no airline will carry you at that stage of pregnancy. You will need to check with the airline and you may need a doctor's referral.

I think most airlines won't carry you past about 28 weeks.

Hope you get it sorted.

Buzzy
Looked into that already, Emirates will take pregnant ladies up until 36 weeks, and as long as you have a letter from a doctor saying you are fit to fly and a due date it's not an issue.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave7370
Looked into that already, Emirates will take pregnant ladies up until 36 weeks, and as long as you have a letter from a doctor saying you are fit to fly and a due date it's not an issue.
Great - glad you will be able to fly.

Buzzy
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

I personally would no way fly such a long distance at such a late stage in pregnancy. You are taking a risk.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Due to a family issue back in the UK we have to fly back as soon as possible.

My wife will be 34 weeks pregnant and we're both obviously concerned about the flight and the possibilities of what could happen.

Has anyone done the same flight at that late a stage of pregnancy and how did it go?

Any advice gratefully received.
Leaving aside the question of whether your wife should be flying at 34 weeks....I'm assuming that you will want to return to Australia, and that there is a reasonable chance of the baby being born in the UK. Might be a bit more complicated than you thought as you will then need to get the baby a visa.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

As a midwife I would not personally advise a woman to fly at 34 weeks gestation, however if you can get your medical doctor to sign an up to date statement then it looks like Emirates will fly you.

What you need to bear in mind is once you are back in the UK, she will have to stay there for remainder of her pregnancy as you're unlikely to get another airline to fly as the due date gets nearer. This then has implications for visas etc as Pollyanna pointed out, and also deciding when to fly back with your new baby etc.

Make sure she has all of medical notes with her, exercise on the plane to reduce the risk of DVT is particularly important in pregnancy as there is an increased risk already. Lots of fluids also important.

Good luck

Sam
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:27 am
Ping-ponging Pom

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Leaving aside the question of whether your wife should be flying at 34 weeks....I'm assuming that you will want to return to Australia, and that there is a reasonable chance of the baby being born in the UK. Might be a bit more complicated than you thought as you will then need to get the baby a visa.
We won't be returning as we'd already planned to move back to the UK after the baby was born.

Seen our doctor and have an antenatal appointment on Tuesday. Been made very aware of the risks and what could happen. We're torn between going due to the personal situation and staying and leaving anyway as planned.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:28 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I flew at 32 wks pregnant from the UK to Australia with a toddler in tow. I was fine. Had a letter from my doctor which noone asked to see even though I was a beached whale in size and obviously heavily pregnant.

I was no more uncomfortable than any other flight. Baby born at 40wks exactly a healthy bouncy baby boy.

I would do it again if I had to. We were moving back to oz at the time.

Most will take you upto 36wks pregnant though some are 35wks if my memory serves me right.

Jo

PS I broke the journey with a swim at Singapore airport I found that a great way to relax between flights
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:18 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

We won't be returning as we'd already planned to move back to the UK after the baby was born.

Seen our doctor and have an antenatal appointment on Tuesday. Been made very aware of the risks and what could happen. We're torn between going due to the personal situation and staying and leaving anyway as planned.
Personally, I think the risks are too great.

Also, even if you plan to return to the UK, wouldn't it be a wonderful birthday present to give your child Australian citizenship and provide them with increased options during their lifetime!

I hope that everything works out for you - whatever you decide

Last edited by paulry; Mar 26th 2009 at 9:06 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernlights
I personally would no way fly such a long distance at such a late stage in pregnancy. You are taking a risk.
I don't want to sound negative but I am 34 weeks on Saturday and I don't think I would entertain the situation. Head has been down for 3 weeks in the same position and I almost feel that I could go any second but there again it could be a while who knows. My best friends waters recently broke at 35 weeks and delivered a couple of days later. It's not unheard of to go into labour at 34 weeks!!! This pregnancy has been pretty good (best so far of my three) but I can certainly tell that any extra stress or physical strains is starting to take its toll. I'm slowing up.

Last edited by PoppetUK; Mar 26th 2009 at 8:50 am.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:10 am
Ping-ponging Pom

It's been a really difficult thing to even try and decide what to do. My wife has been going out of her mind which is not what I want, and even financially (I've been out of work for 6 weeks now) it makes no difference staying or going.

At the end of everything, my wife and unborn childs well-being come first. So maybe the decision was made all along anyway.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

It's been a really difficult thing to even try and decide what to do. My wife has been going out of her mind which is not what I want, and even financially (I've been out of work for 6 weeks now) it makes no difference staying or going.

At the end of everything, my wife and unborn childs well-being come first. So maybe the decision was made all along anyway.
I've been thinking about your post whilst dinner is cooking and I tried to think would I go back if right now if something happened. I think it all depends on what it was.

For example lets say my mum was taken very ill all of a sudden. She is on her own as my dad passed away several years ago. Yes my brother is there but if it was really bad I know she would want me there and need me there even if she didn't say it. I would then fly. I guess it depends how bad the circumstances are as to whether I would risk flying.

Good luck.

I do hope your other half can relax a bit and things over there are a bit better very soon for family.

Poppet
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't fly that late but it's obviously a personal decision if the doctor gives the go ahead. For the sake of a month or so, I'd stay to get the baby citizenship but again, it's a personal thing. Good luck with the decision.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:07 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really offer any advice, but I wanted to wish you well and hope that you make the right decisions for you.

We are not in possession of all of the facts and only you know how important it is for you to get back to the UK.

Take Care

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.