British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anybody emigrated or doing so without ever been to Aus? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anybody-emigrated-doing-so-without-ever-been-aus-544306/)

daddyofthree Jun 21st 2008 11:00 am

Anybody emigrated or doing so without ever been to Aus?

I have been twice to Aus for a holiday and loved it. My wife has never been and is very apprehensive about such a move. Anyone in or been in a similar position - your views please

daddyofthree Jun 21st 2008 11:03 am

Re: Anybody emigrated or doing so without ever been to Aus?

whoops forgot to add that we will have 3 kids under 5

alipally Jun 21st 2008 12:42 pm

I am told that 65% of people who emigrate to Australia have NEVER been there, so she really wouldn't be alone!
You can always go back if it doesn't work out, but it's certainly less expensive if you visit and decide.

painter man Jun 21st 2008 1:31 pm

Never set foot on Australian soil but hopefully next year:)

MarkandS Jun 21st 2008 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by daddyofthree (Post 6488843)
I have been twice to Aus for a holiday and loved it. My wife has never been and is very apprehensive about such a move. Anyone in or been in a similar position - your views please

You are certainly not alone. We are moving over in Jan 09. I have never been to aus before, though my wife went for a few weeks on holiday before we met. So in reality we are moving over with our girls, (11 & 9) without going over first.

At least it will make it an adventure for all the family

Mark

Jamiem Jun 21st 2008 1:35 pm

Many people have arrived having never visited before, with the intention of making their home here. Some of them are still here; some have returned from whence they came; and others have tried there luck elsewhere.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. The only regrets you will have, are those which linger on long in your life if you don't give it a go.

The only think you will waste is money.

I came here almost three years ago and I've never been happier. I didn't know if it would work. None of us have the power of hindsight. -Life would be boring if we did.

Hope whatever decision you make is the right one for you.

Good luck,

J

Dorothy Jun 21st 2008 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jamiem (Post 6489109)
None of us have the power of hindsight.

I think what you mean to say is that none of us have the power of foresight.

To the OP - We've been here just about 2 years never having been to Australia before. While I can't say for 100% that we will remain forever, we have no intention of moving back to our former hometown. If we ever did move from Australia it would be to another place we've never been.

Dawn-D Jun 21st 2008 2:16 pm

Hi,

We've been to WA but after making the decision to go for it we found out that we could only go if we found a sponsor offering us a job on a 457 visa as we are not on the skilled list. :ohmy:

Finally got a job offer but it's over in Queensland where we've never been! But we think of it too as an adventure and know that if we didn't try we would spend the rest of our lives thinking what if. :unsure:

We are taking kids aged 10, 11 and 14 and plan to be in Townsville as soon as possible - now if only we could sell the house :eek:

Good luck to you and your family :thumbsup:

Burkins Jun 21st 2008 2:39 pm

Both hubbie and myself have never been to Oz before. We have talked about it for the last 10 years and fingers crossed want to be in Oz before the end of 2008 with two small boys.

If we didn't try we would always wonder what could have been. If we don't like it I don't thing we will return to hometown but merely try other places until we find somewhere we do like.

Good luck.

VanessaB Jun 21st 2008 2:44 pm

Hi,
we moved here 16 months ago and before that we had never been here! all i can say is it has been the best move we have made we have 2 kids 14 an 18 they have settled in quite well had a few ups an down to start with but all is good now, the lifestyle we lead is a lot better than we did back in Yorkshire, yes we still miss our friends and family but the internet is a good source for keeping in touch and they can always come visit.

Vanessa.
:D

Jacqueline10 Jun 21st 2008 3:13 pm

hi, we emigrated in 1983, my parents had never been before. 25 years later mum has no intention of coming back and has only been back when absolutely necessary and my dad never came back to England, he never wanted to. They took to Oz like a duck to water! different story for me though, i found it difficult at 17 and came back at 18...and now am looking to get back there under my own steam :)..

It just 'clicked' for them and ive had many fantastic holidays there, as ive grown older ive appreciated it more and more..

maisey Jun 21st 2008 3:55 pm

Never set foot in Australia but sold house and moving in 3 weeks time - don't want to live life with regrets and what ifs. If we don't like it so what we would have had a great experience.:cool:

Australia_bound? Jun 21st 2008 4:04 pm

My Mrs wouldn't have considered a move to Aus without going there, took her over there a few years ago and it eased her worries. I very much doubt if she'd have gone without seeing it, or if I'd have insisted it'd have added even more stress to the big move (consider last time you moved house and multiply by a lot).
Take her on a holiday and get in loads of research on areas you'd want to live in. I believe it's very worth it.
I know a few people who've made the move over and come back, they don't post on here anymore as they tried to get their view on Aus over, but found that they ended up being targeted by other poster and their view was very much belittled.

annemarie and brian Jun 21st 2008 4:48 pm

hi me and my hubby(two daughters 5&10) cant forget them have never been
before,but are hopefully going in september and can not wait but the way i am looking at it if we dont like it we can always come back,and say we had
a good experience than to regret not going.

good luck
annemarie and brian

DrWho Jun 21st 2008 8:45 pm

Arrived 2 years ago never having been before; OH had been for 6 months some years before though. Working out fine so far...