Reload this Page >

Anybody emigrate on their own ?

Anybody emigrate on their own ?

Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anybody emigrate on their own ?

Hi,

I am about 7 weeks away from heading out to Sydney. Always fancied emigrating out there but always held back because I didn't want to go it alone. Well it is now the time to do it or I probably never will... just a bit concerned about how being out there on my own will play on things. I am planning to join some "interest" groups/clubs to help integrate. Anybody done this and have any experiances to share ?

cheers
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Default Re: Anybody emigrate on their own ?

Hey

I'm in the same boat....kept waiting and waiting for my ex man to make a decision and in the end I decided to go it alone; my age is catching up on me and getting a visa becomes more and more difficult!

It is pretty scary, but I lived out there for a year before and found through work and clubs i met plenty of cool people who became great mates.

I am moving to melbourne which is really a place i didn't spend a lot of time in before, but i'm sure it will work out.

I suggest you try and join some clubs....perhaps there would be a motorbike one? I know they have them over here.

Good luck
Old Aug 12th 2007, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going over in a couple of weeks with 2 children. Although its not strictly "on my own" I feel more pressure because I have them to worry about as well as the only wage earner

Still, you've got to give it a go
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

cookem is an unknown quantity at this point

Not there yet, but will be in 6 weeks or so. On my own too. Should be an adventure
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:52 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tazkenny
Hi,

I am about 7 weeks away from heading out to Sydney. Always fancied emigrating out there but always held back because I didn't want to go it alone. Well it is now the time to do it or I probably never will... just a bit concerned about how being out there on my own will play on things. I am planning to join some "interest" groups/clubs to help integrate. Anybody done this and have any experiances to share ?

cheers
Yes, I did. Moved to Sydney this time last year, and I'm still here, so it must be pretty good! In many ways, it's actually easier, as you only have yourself to look after, and not have to worry about anyone else.

The only time it really hit home that I was so far from people was when I was admitted to Hospital earlier this year. But the friends I have made here all rallied around, so it was fine in the end.

Drop me a PM if you want some more info on Sydney and what it's like here for a lonesome traveller. Where are you planning on settling? I'm in Erskineville at the moment, looking to finally buy a place somewhere in the inner west...

S
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:03 am
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

I will be too in March. Was planning to go with other half but she does not want to go now (even though we both both the visa's), so we are probably splitting up over it. I'll do the same and join clubs, football club, etc. to help meet people. Am 30 now so if I don't follow my dream now I never will.
Shaun
Old Aug 12th 2007, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers folks. Feel better now that others do/are doing the same thing. I'm 32, so ist's definently time to go. Well I got my new job to start anyways.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

afroswede is just really niceafroswede is just really niceafroswede is just really niceafroswede is just really niceafroswede is just really niceafroswede is just really niceafroswede is just really niceafroswede is just really niceafroswede is just really niceafroswede is just really niceafroswede is just really nice

Hi everyone,

I'm also emigrating on my own, 38 years old and single so I thought I've got nothing to lose! It seems that most BE members are emigrating with their families, so it's really nice to know that there are some brave single people out there who have settled well! If anyone has any advice on Sydney or Melbourne as their city of choice, feel free to enlighten me! I have never been to Australia, only heard other people's opinions - such as "Sydney is beautiful but shallow, Melbourne is cultured but the weather is rubbish." It would be interseting to hear some comments beyond the stereotypes! I grew up in Sweden and am currently living in the UK, so I have had enough of bad weather for a couple of lifetimes...on the other hand, I prefer cities with an intellectual vibe rather than a beach culture. I have previously lived in Durban, South Africa, and San Diego, USA, and I felt more attracted to Cape Town and San Francisco...Can you have your cake and eat it, or is there simply no place on earth that offers both culture and sunshine?
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Yep i did it on my own last year in September to Brissie. Best thing I ever did. Just got on the property ladder too, something which was out of my reach in London where I came from. I haven't looked back, I love it here. it wasn't easy in the beginning but it's all worked out for me and if you're hearts in it you'll make a success of it. Good luck!
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Afroswede...i would say melbourne is probably a bit more of an arts rather then beach scene but the weather is definitely not as good...although not having a prolonged spell of 40 degree heat may be a goo thing depend how much yoou like it!

Good to hear you have made a go of it sparkley...i am hoping to be able to get on the preoperty ladder too which will be a first for me. Were you in a pretty good financial position when you went over? (only ask as i probably won't be taking stacks with me and it would be good to hear some positive stories
Old Aug 13th 2007, 2:28 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Yep I did it on my own a few years ago - first Brisbane, then Sydney, then Brisbane again, and never regretted a minute of it.

I found it easier meeting people out here through clubs and hobbies, probably because I made much more of an effort than I would in the UK, because of the new situation I found myself in.

So go on, take the plunge!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

Yep, I moved over to Melbourne when I was 28. Great decision.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:06 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived by myself 5 weeks ago. Although I have not found living by myself a problem, its the times when you get down [lack of job finding etc], when you really could do with having someone there to talk to. Melbourne is great place to live, for getting out there and exploring. Its been a glorious day today. Those of you yet to arrive in Melbourne, you've made the right choice coming here.

Anyway, I am envisaging a 'BE singles only Melbourne meetup' opportunity!
Those in Melbourne and are single, what do you think?
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:11 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
I arrived by myself 5 weeks ago. Although I have not found living by myself a problem, its the times when you get down [lack of job finding etc], when you really could do with having someone there to talk to. Melbourne is great place to live, for getting out there and exploring. Its been a glorious day today. Those of you yet to arrive in Melbourne, you've made the right choice coming here.

Anyway, I am envisaging a 'BE singles only Melbourne meetup' opportunity!
Those in Melbourne and are single, what do you think?
I might come down for that - The singles scene in Sydney is dire!

S
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:16 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I might come down for that - The singles scene in Sydney is dire!

S
Watch this space!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.