Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody elses teachers on strike???

Anybody elses teachers on strike???

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 10:36 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Anybody elses teachers on strike???

My kids are at home today (trying to kill each other) because of a teachers strike in Victoria.

Basically it comes down to pay and victorian teachers apparently get a rawer deal than those in NSW and WA. They they are saying if the standards don't improve they will all bugger off interstate and leave Vic with an even more staffing problems.
(ok, maybe not in those words, but i am trying to shorten down the 2 sides of A4 that they sent home yesterday!)

I am getting a feeling of deja vu it has to be said..........

They have also included a "list of useful addresses", which includes The premier of Victoria and the minister of education to name a couple
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anybody elses teachers on strike???

Originally posted by hevs
My kids are at home today (trying to kill each other) because of a teachers strike in Victoria.

Basically it comes down to pay and victorian teachers apparently get a rawer deal than those in NSW and WA. They they are saying if the standards don't improve they will all bugger off interstate and leave Vic with an even more staffing problems.
(ok, maybe not in those words, but i am trying to shorten down the 2 sides of A4 that they sent home yesterday!)

I am getting a feeling of deja vu it has to be said..........

They have also included a "list of useful addresses", which includes The premier of Victoria and the minister of education to name a couple
Hi Hevs

Hope they didn't wake up as grumpy and un co-operative as Alana did this morning.

Just happy that I'm at work today and I don't have to deal with her!!!

PS: Thanks for a lovely evening last night

Regards

J
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 11:03 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hevs

Mate, I'm sorry but I am going to have to defend teachers here. I am not one and until I married one I like probably the rest of you thought teachers start at 9 and finished at 3.30pm with 13 weeks holiday a year.
My wife is teaching in Melbourne right now and isn't on strike but I'm sure she would be if allowed.
To give you an idea of what hours she works she is up at 6am to leave the house at 7am to make sure she arrives at School before 8am. Not once this term has she arrived back home before 8pm where upon she still prepares lesson plans on the computer for an hour or so before going to bed and also at least one whole day at the weekend as well as most of those so called long holidays are spent in school ! Also twice last year she work right through the night without any sleep writing reports before going off to school again. I just prayed she didn't fall asleep at the wheel and crash. All this and her salary in the UK was less then 20k including London allowance ( it's roughly the same in Oz ) for someone in their 30's who has a degree,a PGCE and a Masters ! In commerce kids straight from Uni get more then this and for what...adding up a few numbers ! Aren't your kids worth more ?Added to this the stress of possiby being sued by parents as apparently there is no such thing as a accident anymore ( yes 3 teachers in the UK are in fact in prison for playground accidents ! ) and also being sued by Social Services if they fail to detect a child in a class of over 30 that has been abused by their parents! Then you have the abuse from parents that their kids "Are f***ing swearing and they didn't f***ing pick it up at home!"
Would you be a teacher ?!
Therefore I have no sympathy for whinging parents with little brats who they can't look after let alone another 30.
S.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 11:59 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Snitzy
[Therefore I have no sympathy for whinging parents with little brats who they can't look after let alone another 30.
S.
Pull yer head in Snitzy. She didn't say anything about not respecting there job and there work and how dare you make an insinuation that my kids are brats.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:09 am
Beyond Redemption

Originally posted by HUP
Pull yer head in Snitzy. She didn't say anything about not respecting there job and there work and how dare you make an insinuation that my kids are brats.
I could only have made an insinuation about your kids being brats if you are a whinging parent ie by association.
Also how can I pull pull my head in when I was merely pointing out that a teachers lot is not a happy one which no one seems to comprehend.
S.

By the way maybe you should sit in a few of your kids classes especially English grammer to learn that it's "their job and their work." See a teacher is valuable asset for the future.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

We have had 2 striked since being here. I heard something on the telly this morning about it and thought oh no not again - but it must have been about you guys.

It is difficult when it happens but I sent my son last time as they had people supervising them in the library. It was that or take a day off work.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:23 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

I could only have made an insinuation about your kids being brats if you are a whinging parent ie by association.
Also how can I pull pull my head in when I was merely pointing out that a teachers lot is not a happy one which no one seems to comprehend.
S.

By the way maybe you should sit in a few of your kids classes especially English grammer to learn that it's "their job and their work." See a teacher is valuable asset for the future.
Don't play around with smart ass semantics snitzy.

Oh and sorry for the slip in my gramm(a)r but perhaps you should attend your kids (Do you have any?) spelling class.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Society needs to value teachers and the role they play in our own kids development.

Up the teachers!!!!

It is very shortsighted to under value them - if they are not paid well they will leave the profession or go and work in private schools.

However teachers need to be evaluated so the good ones are rewarded and the bad ones are weeded out.

I have two kids in the same school, one is at home and the other is at school (teacher is not in union). Both are happy as boy gets to play all day and swotty knickers gets to go to school.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:30 am
Beyond Redemption

Originally posted by HUP
Don't play around with smart ass semantics snitzy.

Oh and sorry for the slip in my gramm(a)r but perhaps you should attend your kids (Do you have any?) spelling class.
lol...touche !
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:41 am
HUP
Brain Drained

Would you be a teacher ?!
Therefore I have no sympathy for whinging parents with little brats who they can't look after let alone another 30.
S.
Your sentence asks a direct question of the poster (my wife). You expect the answer to be no. So you infer that she is whinging by the same token you infer my kids are brats. Try reading the post!!

The original post and none subsequent make any reference to how valuable a teachers job is. The post is about how a parents life is disrupted by the actions. She does not say it is wrong for teachers to strike. And you didn't answer the question "Do you have kids?". If you do then you will appreciate the disruption that this causes (And hey lets face it thats what the whole point of a strike is) to parents. The post just puts the thing from the parents perspective

So I go back to my original statement "Pull yer head in"
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:05 am
Beyond Redemption

Originally posted by HUP
Your sentence asks a direct question of the poster (my wife). You expect the answer to be no. So you infer that she is whinging by the same token you infer my kids are brats. Try reading the post!!

The original post and none subsequent make any reference to how valuable a teachers job is. The post is about how a parents life is disrupted by the actions. She does not say it is wrong for teachers to strike. And you didn't answer the question "Do you have kids?". If you do then you will appreciate the disruption that this causes (And hey lets face it thats what the whole point of a strike is) to parents. The post just puts the thing from the parents perspective

So I go back to my original statement "Pull yer head in"
Ok...The question was actually an open one to all that read it and not directed to your wife. My closing statement meant I had no sympathy for whinging parents and if the caps fits so be it?!
As for your day being disrupted I can only apologise but can you imagine my family life being disrupted with only seeing my wife an hour a day.
For the record we don't have any kids/brats due to the stressful nature of my wifes job and a womans anatomy but I won't go there although I am slightly bitter.
Finally I have never personally insulted anyone on this forum or any other and therefore expect the same and not told to "Pull my head in."
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:26 am
HUP
Brain Drained

Ok...The question was actually an open one to all that read it and not directed to your wife. My closing statement meant I had no sympathy for whinging parents and if the caps fits so be it?!
As for your day being disrupted I can only apologise but can you imagine my family life being disrupted with only seeing my wife an hour a day.
For the record we don't have any kids/brats due to the stressful nature of my wifes job and a womans anatomy but I won't go there although I am slightly bitter.
Finally I have never personally insulted anyone on this forum or any other and therefore expect the same and not told to "Pull my head in."
Perhaps your sentence should include the words "intentionally insulted". Because I felt (which I think is quite apparant) insulted.

If your question was not directed at the original poster then would it not have been better grammar to say "Would any of you"

And yet again you miss the entire point of the thread, or does mean being a teachers spouse mean that you cannot see things from a parents perspective. The strike is meant to cause disruption to the parents!!!! Can we not voice our opinions on that.

The pull your head in refers to the fact that your post (intenionally or not) insinuated things about my family of whom you know nothing about.

And again I state because you don't seem to get it WE HAVE NOTHING AGAINST TEACHERS.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:39 am
Beyond Redemption

Originally posted by HUP
Perhaps your sentence should include the words "intentionally insulted". Because I felt (which I think is quite apparant) insulted.

If your question was not directed at the original poster then would it not have been better grammar to say "Would any of you"

And yet again you miss the entire point of the thread, or does mean being a teachers spouse mean that you cannot see things from a parents perspective. The strike is meant to cause disruption to the parents!!!! Can we not voice our opinions on that.

The pull your head in refers to the fact that your post (intenionally or not) insinuated things about my family of whom you know nothing about.

And again I state because you don't seem to get it WE HAVE NOTHING AGAINST TEACHERS.
This is going nowhere. My post tried to educated on how a teachers life is and all you feel is insulted that you didn't get the sympathy you feel you deserved for your one day of disruption. Therefore if it makes you feel better....I'm sorry. It must be hard on you.
S.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:50 am
HUP
Brain Drained

This is going nowhere. My post tried to educated on how a teachers life is and all you feel is insulted that you didn't get the sympathy you feel you deserved for your one day of disruption. Therefore if it makes you feel better....I'm sorry. It must be hard on you.
S.
You really can't read can you. Your right its going no where and I apologise on my wifes behalf for airing an opinion.

Perhaps you should ask your wife for some lessons in comprehension.

So I know refer back to my original comment of

"Pull your head in"

But feel it necessary to add in my badly educated and purile way, (also adding to your insult count)

Pull your head in you twat!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:51 am
HUP
Brain Drained

Pull your head in you twat!
Hey I know its childish but I speak as I find

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.