Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody else struggling in Brisbane?

Anybody else struggling in Brisbane?

Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anybody else struggling in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I seem to remember there being a social, professional network club (although I think it was Melbourne in retrospect), which sounds very like what you're looking for. Not much help, but someone else may know of it and if it is a national organisation. Good luck
Lorraine

This could be useful. It's social networking website. Looks like there's a lot of things around.
I joined a similar thing in the UK, various social activities, meals, theatre, sporty things.
Whatever floats your boat really.
I met some good friends through it
The Oz site is http://getalife.com.au
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Hey physiogirl,why not date adam?
Both in same town,both single 30's
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by viviennef
Need to move to Mt Isa for rich pickings
Or Mackay, or Gladstone...
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

koolkat is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=physiogirl76;7155148]Hi there,

I think I know what you mean the older you get everyone seems to settle down but come on they are losers lol

I wasnt aware of the man shortage in Melbourne thats good because Im going there in may. Ive starting to try www.meetup.com that may be worth a look. Of course there is always facebook and stuff.

I know its difficult I went speedating once and no one really seemed that 'normal'. But when i do meet someone single my age i wonder If I am normal too. lol

Enjoy being single. Put it this way you can do what you want. As soon as you forget about meeting someone, someone finds you.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:12 pm
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Hey physiogirl,why not date adam?
Both in same town,both single 30's
You need to change your username to "Cilla Black"
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:05 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Every one I met loves Melbourne except for the weather. Someone who lives there told me that there were more sunny days than in Sydney but quite a few people I knew moved over from Sydney and hated it, said it was grey and miserable.

I can't really see how that can be though, I think coming from the UK it would still be considered a nice climate although if one of the motivators for moving was sun, sea and surf then I think Sydney may be a better option.

The friends I have who hated it when they moved, were all long standing sydney ites or australians born in sydney.

I don't know what was missing for me in brissie, I went everywhere, met heaps of people but just felt overwhemingly bored. I think maybe moving from Sydney didn't help, perhaps if you moved from somewhere quiet it would be ok. I hae realised though that I need to live by the sea.

Maybe you could take Adam and it could be the first BE wedding.

I loved being single in Sydney, I still would enjoy it, my husband works away at least half the time and I look forward to it.

Good luck - let us know how it goes!

Last edited by viviennef; Jan 12th 2009 at 9:33 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:43 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Physiogirl,

Sorry to say but I don't think it gets any better. I've been bored with Brisbane for a long time and am finally making the move to Melbourne this month.

Thinking about friends, and friends of friends here I can't actually think of any who have come from Sydney or Melbourne to live in Brisbane. I know PLENTY who have gone in the opposite direction.

Young single folks I know who have come to Brisbane tend to have come from country NSW and places further north in Qld.

Brisbane is not the place for culture, bars & coffee. Melbourne fits that bill 110%! Have you visited Melbourne & Sydney....there are some outrageously cheap air fares around at the moment so why not give them a try!

B
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:18 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

With the greatest respect, I think this has more to do with you only being here six months and rahter less to do with Brisbane.

Brisbane has a very lively social scene, but of course being part of that is built on long developed friendships. The same would apply in Melbourne or Sydney.

Brisbane may be more difficult to get used to (from the UK) than the more "metropolitan" Sydney or Melbourne but it is a large city with lots to do and people to meet.

Originally Posted by physiogirl76
Hi there,

Having lived here for 6 months, I am starting to see the different side: I am female, in my early 30s and single (I came here on my own) and find it extremely difficult to meet like-minded people.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

physiogirl76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your input - will definately follow up on some of your suggestions! By the way, I am European, but not British - anyway, just a minor detail, I think
I know the places in Brisbane like Paddington, the Valley, West End and so on. But even on the weekends, I find some of the places pretty deserted (I think, somebody commented on that in this thread). Most of the people I know here are coupled up and they usually tend to go out with other couples so I am struggling finding people to go out with.
I am not desperately looking for a partner (but thanks so much for trying to hook me up with Alan ). I have no problems being single as long as I have a good bunch of people around me to spend my free time with. I just feel that Brisbane doesn´t cater for people like me.
I´ve lived in Sydney for a few months and visited Melbourne and both cities seemed more sociable. I liked Melbourne for its charme, little cafes and pubs and the friendly people.
I suppose, I will visit Melbourne again to get a feel for the place and then decide.
But good to know that other people feel the same way as I do...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Very tempted to match mate here!!!! My son is 34 and single, has a good network of friends on the sunny coast, but will move to Brisbane if he can get a job there.
Seriously I hope you make some friends soon, it really is early days, and there have been some good suggestions posted which might help you.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:39 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
Yes - its actually famous for it -the lack of single men in their late 20's 30s. Same in Sydney.

Need to move to Mt Isa for rich pickings

My single or newly single friends in sydney are always moaning too - but hookmeup.com.au and RSVP seem to have all the answers

Viv
Maybe just 'pickings' when you think about which state it is in and how geographically remote it is?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Maybe there should be a British Expats Dating site.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:55 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hi Physiogirl,

Sorry to say but I don't think it gets any better. I've been bored with Brisbane for a long time and am finally making the move to Melbourne this month.

Thinking about friends, and friends of friends here I can't actually think of any who have come from Sydney or Melbourne to live in Brisbane. I know PLENTY who have gone in the opposite direction.

Young single folks I know who have come to Brisbane tend to have come from country NSW and places further north in Qld.

Brisbane is not the place for culture, bars & coffee. Melbourne fits that bill 110%! Have you visited Melbourne & Sydney....there are some outrageously cheap air fares around at the moment so why not give them a try!

B
After your citizenship ceremony I'm thinking?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
After your citizenship ceremony I'm thinking?
Actually before...I originally meant to be in MEL ages ago so I have flights booked from there already...so coming back up for Aus day weekend and the ceremony....then I'm brisgone!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:04 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by bcworld
Actually before...I originally meant to be in MEL ages ago so I have flights booked from there already...so coming back up for Aus day weekend and the ceremony....then I'm brisgone!
I Don't blame you. This definitely seems to be the least progressive (notwithstanding NT) of the major states?

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.