Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody else have this dilema

Anybody else have this dilema

Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all
Default Anybody else have this dilema

Hello all,

Before i start i,d like to say that i feel lucky to even have this dilema.

Are there any other prospective migrants who feel torn for one reason or another between 2 areas of aus.We were in Perth earlier this year and loved the place,everything we expected and more.The only downside was the work possibilities for carpenters.Don,t get me wrong there was work about but it was,nt what i had hoped for.eg not that much timber goes into the new builds so not as much work etc.So i started to think ok money is,nt everthing but i,d hate for us to start struggling if the building boom slowed and more chippys were after fewer jobs.With that in mind i started to look at other areas, SE Queensland looked very appealing my work worries were less due to the fact that the houses are timber framed (what i do here at the mo).I managed to speak to a lady who lives in Brisbane who told me all about the place.It made me start doing some research (like we do eh).

The problem is now that i have been focusing on the east coast for a while but the thoughts of Perth wont go away and the last few weeks i have slowly started to imagine living there. I want whats best for us all and when my eldest whose 6 says i can,t wait to get back to Australia and have fun in the sun at the minute i don,t know if it will be Perth or Brissy and although our visa is about 6 months off yet i can,t see me being 100% on either by then.

Some people will never get the chance of having a holiday in aus let alone living there but at the moment this is my own private headache and i just wondered if anyone was having the same problem.

dave
Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:05 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Anybody else have this dilema

I've seen a few people that have had the same dilema, even to the point of travelling back and forwards between the two places.

Some end up in Perth,others in Brisbane, amd other East Coast areas.

It does come down to personal choice, and you would probably never really know until you have lived in both places.

Not much help am I ?

Have a search for threads called Perth v Brisbane, I am sure I recall some like that. eg: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251861

Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:23 pm
Cheeky

Hi Dave,

I just wanted to say we are in a similar dilemma ourselves........

The same places as well, Brisbane versis Perth. From what you say you have been to Perth but not Brissy. Is there any chance you could visit Brisbane before you make the big move? It sounds indulgent but it is important if you are not sure. If you are unable to do this (if I was you) I would stick with were you know (Perth) and rent, find work, etc as you could always travel to Brissy once you are in Oz and test the water to see if you like it. The way I see it is nothing is set in stone and it is ok if you change your mind. I know it is unsettling especially if you have kids but I expect it is gonna be like that anyway and it will take time to adjust. Kids soon adapt.

We are taking a trip to Oz as soon as the visas arrive, to both places and I very much hope we come to a decision! Anyway I agree it is a nice dilemma to be in!

Good luck Dave with whichever you choose and let us know!

All the best,
Cheeky

Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:30 pm
Mel Gibson

[QUOTE=chippy dave]Hello all,

Are there any other prospective migrants who feel torn for one reason or another between 2 areas of aus.We were in Perth earlier this year and loved the place,everything we expected and more.The only downside was the work possibilities for carpenters.Don,t get me wrong there was work about but it was,nt what i had hoped for.eg not that much timber goes into the new builds so not as much work etc.So i started to think ok money is,nt everthing but i,d hate for us to start struggling if the building boom slowed and more chippys were after fewer jobs.With that in mind i started to look at other areas, SE Queensland looked very appealing my work worries were less due to the fact that the houses are timber framed (what i do here at the mo).I managed to speak to a lady who lives in Brisbane who told me all about the place.It made me start doing some research (like we do eh).

The problem is now that i have been focusing on the east coast for a while but the thoughts of Perth wont go away and the last few weeks i have slowly started to imagine living there. I want whats best for us all and when my eldest whose 6 says i can,t wait to get back to Australia and have fun in the sun at the minute i don,t know if it will be Perth or Brissy and although our visa is about 6 months off yet i can,t see me being 100% on either by then.

Some people will never get the chance of having a holiday in aus let alone living there but at the moment this is my own private headache and i just wondered if anyone was having the same problem.

dave[/QUO

Perhaps you could rent a house in Perth for 6 months and if your unable to get decent employment, then move over to Queensland.

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 11:48 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy dave
Hello all,

dave
We are in the same boat too. Only for us it is between Adelaide, Brizzie, Gold Coast, Melbourne, a smaller town ... All we know is we don't want Top End, Tazzie, Sydney or WA. I am hoping to line up a job when we get visas and let that make the choice for us. Failing that I may end up drawing straws.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Yep we're dithering between Perth & Brisbane too! Work may be better for hubby in Bris but not a lot in it, we like the climate in both and although some aspects of cost of living may be cheaper in Perth, not all are. We have a few friends in Perth but don't know anyone in Brisbane and have spent more time in Perth too. We're hoping to visit both areas again next April and hope one of them just feels 'right'. Like you say, I don't think we can go far wrong living in either place

HB x