Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody else had trouble terminating a Mobile Contract?

Anybody else had trouble terminating a Mobile Contract?

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Reading - now the Beautiful Central Coast!
MurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really nice
Default Anybody else had trouble terminating a Mobile Contract?

Hello

I'm so frustrated!! I've just tried to cancel both mine and my husband's mobile phone contract with Orange to be told that I will have to buy out of it at the cost of £260.00!! This is NOT what we were told when we renewed our contracts back in April last year as at that point we knew that we were thinking of going to Australia - we were told that we could cancel by giving a month's notice and there would be no penalties. Yes, I know I should have read the small print and not listened to the salesman but that's life!! There is apparently nothing I can do. The other option is to keep it running until the end of October (we leave for Oz on 1 August) but this will just mean that I rack up a load of minutes that I will not be using!!! I've asked to change to another plan so that I can use the minutes in Australia but they don't do that either! I spend £200 with Orange every month and have been with them for years so it's not as if I'm not a good customer!! To top it all they recently wrote to me to say that I'm a Premier Customer and given me a free back up sim card and other nice things!!

I know you'll say - should have read the small print but anybody got any bright ideas. I can lower my base plan (which is currently basic of £55 per mont) but they only lower it down one step at a time which means for August I can down to a £45 plan!!

I'm not very happy as I feel very trapped!!

Tracy
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody else had trouble terminating a Mobile Contract?

Originally Posted by MurphFam
Hello

I'm so frustrated!! I've just tried to cancel both mine and my husband's mobile phone contract with Orange to be told that I will have to buy out of it at the cost of £260.00!! This is NOT what we were told when we renewed our contracts back in April last year as at that point we knew that we were thinking of going to Australia - we were told that we could cancel by giving a month's notice and there would be no penalties. Yes, I know I should have read the small print and not listened to the salesman but that's life!! There is apparently nothing I can do. The other option is to keep it running until the end of October (we leave for Oz on 1 August) but this will just mean that I rack up a load of minutes that I will not be using!!! I've asked to change to another plan so that I can use the minutes in Australia but they don't do that either! I spend £200 with Orange every month and have been with them for years so it's not as if I'm not a good customer!! To top it all they recently wrote to me to say that I'm a Premier Customer and given me a free back up sim card and other nice things!!

I know you'll say - should have read the small print but anybody got any bright ideas. I can lower my base plan (which is currently basic of £55 per mont) but they only lower it down one step at a time which means for August I can down to a £45 plan!!

I'm not very happy as I feel very trapped!!

Tracy
Had a fu**ing nightmare trying to get out of my contract with virgin. Anyway after a long couple of months where they offered me everything but their virginity for their incompetence I told them I was going to Bransons house and I was setting it on fire.:curse: They wouldn't give me the name of the perpetrator of this incompetence, probably because I told them I was a reporter who was going to do a piece on them. The guy on the line was getting more nervous after I would ask him again how to spell his name. It got to the stage where I was revelling in this guys discomfort, where I could imagine he was watching his bonus disappear. Tell them your emigrating, closing your accounts and cancelling your dd's and if they want it, they can f**king sing for it. I hate capitalists
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Reading - now the Beautiful Central Coast!
MurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really nice

Originally Posted by framac
Had a fu**ing nightmare trying to get out of my contract with virgin. Anyway after a long couple of months where they offered me everything but their virginity for their incompetence I told them I was going to Bransons house and I was setting it on fire.:curse: They wouldn't give me the name of the perpetrator of this incompetence, probably because I told them I was a reporter who was going to do a piece on them. The guy on the line was getting more nervous after I would ask him again how to spell his name. It got to the stage where I was revelling in this guys discomfort, where I could imagine he was watching his bonus disappear. Tell them your emigrating, closing your accounts and cancelling your dd's and if they want it, they can f**king sing for it. I hate capitalists
Your response is great - has put a smile on my face which is a good thing cos I was well and truly frowning and I don't like to be grumpy when I'm off to school to pick up daughter!! The whole thing has irritated me no end! And that's after giving BT confirmation to turn off my phone line on 27 July and then I get a letter in today saying it will be terminated on 7 July!! So had to have a row with them this morning over that as well! And I'm normally such a calm person!!

If I get anywhere with Orange then I'll let you know - just sent a mail off to them and waiting for a response and may well go and visit the shop tomorrow as I know the person is still working there!

Tracy
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

julie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the rough

having the same trouble with orange was told the same as you when i terminated checked that all was paid up to date and finalised and did not owe but now getting calls from a recovery agent threatening to take me to court i am refusing to pay based on the information i was given when i cancelled, orange are a nightmare.

julie