Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anybody doing floorings in perth?

anybody doing floorings in perth?

Old May 12th 2004, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

cuthere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anybody doing floorings in perth?

Thought that since there are lots of tradespersons in this forum, I would like to see if anyone here does floorings round about willetton, perth. i have just bought a house and looking to refloor the carpets in the bedrooms and perhaps laminate the rest of the house? I have gotten a quote but not sure how expensive or reasonable it is given the lack of experience. Will complete purchase 25 may and will need work to begin asap after that. Any ideas or comments welcome.

cuthere
Old May 12th 2004, 6:54 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anybody doing floorings in perth?

Originally posted by cuthere
Thought that since there are lots of tradespersons in this forum, I would like to see if anyone here does floorings round about willetton, perth. i have just bought a house and looking to refloor the carpets in the bedrooms and perhaps laminate the rest of the house? I have gotten a quote but not sure how expensive or reasonable it is given the lack of experience. Will complete purchase 25 may and will need work to begin asap after that. Any ideas or comments welcome.

cuthere

Well bugger me, nope not perth but if ya wanna good quality Laminate floor, see my mates at Premium Cork and Timber

11 macadam place , Balcatta 6021 tel 08 9240 1966.

Its a trade outlet, biggest in Oz, tellem steve from fabfloor.co.uk and timber flooring australia sent ya AND u wanna BIG discount
Old May 12th 2004, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Timber Floor Au. Will definitely check them out when I land in Perth and hope the discount is good!
Old May 12th 2004, 7:38 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Timber Floor Au. Will definitely check them out when I land in Perth and hope the discount is good!

May i ask what you was quoted for the Laminates

I own and operate flooring bizz here and in oz, be interesting to compare please
Old May 12th 2004, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
May i ask what you was quoted for the Laminates

I own and operate flooring bizz here and in oz, be interesting to compare please

Dear Timber

the quote goes;

Laminated wood floating floor layed on soundproof underlay to entry, kitchen, dining, living, front, back passageways and finished with timber 1/4 rounds to skirting A$3,430.

We were quoted an additional A$1760 for the carpets to 4 bedrooms and lounge on existing underlay. New underlay for the carpeting was an additional A$250.

Laminated wood floating floor to entire house was quoted at A$6027.

How are these in comparison?

Would you recommend laminating bedrooms and kitchen - hubby thinks that carpeting is more suitable for bedrooms due to cold winters in perth. my concern is younger son is asthmatic.
Old May 12th 2004, 8:30 am
Banned

Dear Timber

the quote goes;

Laminated wood floating floor layed on soundproof underlay to entry, kitchen, dining, living, front, back passageways and finished with timber 1/4 rounds to skirting A$3,430.

We were quoted an additional A$1760 for the carpets to 4 bedrooms and lounge on existing underlay. New underlay for the carpeting was an additional A$250.

Laminated wood floating floor to entire house was quoted at A$6027.

How are these in comparison?

Would you recommend laminating bedrooms and kitchen - hubby thinks that carpeting is more suitable for bedrooms due to cold winters in perth. my concern is younger son is asthmatic.
Okies , thanks for the reply.

Last first...
You should opt for Asthma friendly carpets, i personally HATE carpets but, as your husband pointed out, warmer in winter etc..

Nice to see they have opted for sound reducing underlay, possibly cork which can run at $6.00 per square metre.

As i dont know sizes , i cant comment on pricing, however it doesnt look shocking.

Be careful though, we are national importers suppliers and installers of Quick Step flooring, under the Uniclic brand... make sure they havent quoted Quick Step 700 or CLIX these are both DIY floorings, and really wont wear well.

Laminated scotia mouldings tend to look better if they match flooring, or white to match skirtings.
I wouldnt recommend a timber quad with a lam floor and timber skirting, unless the existing skirting is natural wood, (not painted)

If they have quoted for you Quick Step 800, then this is a good buy, resilient, easy maintenance, and with adequate entry and exit matting will last indefinately... bear in mind, request a full written guarantee. As claims for flooring, specially large areas can get complicated,.

Fitter blames material
Importer blames fitter
Manufacturer blames everyone

Make sure all the accesories are branded.

Failing that, unless you have small metreage its a fair price in my opinion

Rates in Uk vary enormously to oz, i think as one persons legend describes perfectly,: its an island if you didnt bring it it aint here....

steve
Old May 12th 2004, 8:37 am
Banned

link for you re: asthma friendly carpets

http://www.stainmaster.com.au/news.aspx?id=41
Old May 12th 2004, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Laminated scotia mouldings tend to look better if they match flooring, or white to match skirtings.
I wouldnt recommend a timber quad with a lam floor and timber skirting, unless the existing skirting is natural wood, (not painted)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dear Steve

Could you translate that to english for me ? - sorry daff about the jargon.

Thanks for the info on Quick Step 700 and 800 - wouldn't have known better otherwise.

My metreage (as you call it is for an average 4 x 2).

Another daff question - who gives the written guarantee?

Thanks
Mon
Old May 12th 2004, 11:42 am
Banned

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dear Steve

Could you translate that to english for me ? - sorry daff about the jargon.

Thanks for the info on Quick Step 700 and 800 - wouldn't have known better otherwise.

My metreage (as you call it is for an average 4 x 2).

Another daff question - who gives the written guarantee?

Thanks
Mon
Scotia is the moulding, that covers the expansion gap at the edge of the flooring, common to all floating floors. Its fixed directly to the skirting boards.

If you are having laminated flooring installed, then matching trim looks nice, if they havnt got a match, then white looks better if the skirting is white.
If the skirting is varnished for example, then a timber moulding left natural and varnished would suffice. In this case you called it quad, basic interpretation is:
Quad is convex
Scotia is concave

, Dont know what a 4 x 2 is other than a block of wood lol ? perhaps explain

Regards written quarantee, the installer generally gives you a guarantee of workmanship for say 1 year, thats about normal in flooring.
But there is a manufacturers warranty which can be up to 15 years plus, this info will be on the packs of flooring, keep a copy, and staple to the paperwork you get. Also "kwik tip" flooring more often than not lasts longer than some installers, they do a moonlit flit.

So.... at the end of a pack will be a code, and colour, and also a date of manufacture, make sure every pack has same codes, importantly the date code. Keep one of these and affix to your paperwork, that way in the future if you need a match you have ALLLLL the info at hand

Specially if the company you used goes AWOL

If you know the make of flooring, then post and ill getya the relevant Bumph

Stevo
Old May 13th 2004, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks a Million, Stevo.... a lesson in itself. BTW, I am not from UK but from Singapore.

With regards to the date quote - is there something I should be looking for? Is there somekinda of date where the materials should be rejected?

I will be talking to the flooring guys like I was a pro... checked out the website of your mates at Premium Cork and Timber. See they also have floating timber floors. We love wood - how much more would a floating timber floor be compared to laminated floor - would you recommend this instead?

What I meant by 4x2 is actually quite commonly used in Oz to mean 4 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms.

Thanks
Mon

Last edited by cuthere; May 13th 2004 at 3:08 am.
Old May 13th 2004, 5:18 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a Million, Stevo.... a lesson in itself. BTW, I am not from UK but from Singapore.

With regards to the date quote - is there something I should be looking for? Is there somekinda of date where the materials should be rejected?

I will be talking to the flooring guys like I was a pro... checked out the website of your mates at Premium Cork and Timber. See they also have floating timber floors. We love wood - how much more would a floating timber floor be compared to laminated floor - would you recommend this instead?

What I meant by 4x2 is actually quite commonly used in Oz to mean 4 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms.

Thanks
Mon
I reckon it's worth the extra. We fitted average price/ quality laminate to one of our flats in the past and within a few months it had a few dodgy looking bits where the laminate was lifting by a couple of millimetres next to another piece, looked bad if you checked in detail. (Probably came from kiddie spills.)

You don't get that with real wood and it lasts for the lifetime of the house more or less, you can always re-sand and re-polish to make it look brand new.
Old May 13th 2004, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I reckon it's worth the extra. We fitted average price/ quality laminate to one of our flats in the past and within a few months it had a few dodgy looking bits where the laminate was lifting by a couple of millimetres next to another piece, looked bad if you checked in detail. (Probably came from kiddie spills.)

You don't get that with real wood and it lasts for the lifetime of the house more or less, you can always re-sand and re-polish to make it look brand new.

Thanks Don!

Seriously considering wood as it probably worth the extra you pay for. Will check out Stevo's mates at Premium Cork and Timber and try to pretend I am his best mate !

Best
Mon
Old May 13th 2004, 8:18 am
Banned

Thanks
Mon
Laminates Versus Timber

Age old question this,:~

Good quality laminates will last, buy cheap buy twice !!!!

They are easy fit, easy repair and no maintenance, scratch resistant and do not fade with Uv light exposure, chemical resistant and cat/dog/kid proof.

Timber is REAL wood so what you enjoy is the characteristics of the real thing, but at a price , hardwood doesnt mean its HARD its just a term, Balsa wood is a hardwood and its as soft as tissue. It marks scratches, stains and fades. BUT..... this in the trade is called a PATINA, the lived in look, the real feel, the real deal.. however kids dogs and life can make it tired quickly, and maintenance is an issue.

Any floor that isnt stuck to the SUBFLOOR is classed as a Floating floor, wether its laminate or timber.

All packs have a date code when they were machined on them, laminates and timbers have the date stamped on the underside of the planks also. Look for 2004 dates, this should be fine

Incidentally if you are looking at laminates, and you want the most realistic effect then look for Quick-Step 950 living surface

Pic below:
Steve
Attached Thumbnails anybody doing floorings in perth?-livsurface.jpg  
Old May 13th 2004, 8:28 am
Banned

Thanks
Mon

Pic of a clients floor we fitted this flooring is called Elego High Gloss
Attached Thumbnails anybody doing floorings in perth?-dscn2320.jpg  
Old May 13th 2004, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Wowww.......definitely be flying across the floor on high gloss surface - not my cup of tea.

Will look at your 800 or 950 - I take your point about maintenance - my current house has a wooden floor and it does look a sorry state in some places...

Thanks Steve! Your input has been most helpful!

Mon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.