Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any young funky types with kids who want to meet up in Sydney (North Shore)?

Any young funky types with kids who want to meet up in Sydney (North Shore)?

Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Default Any young funky types with kids who want to meet up in Sydney (North Shore)?

We're moving to Sydney in just under 7 weeks (not that I'm counting the days, hours, minutes, seconds...) and was hoping to meet up with some funky types.

We've got 2 small people in tow, 3 and 6 years of age, and will be living somewhere in the Mosman (Balmoral-ish) or Manly areas.

Please, no competitive parents or whinging poms! Smiley types only!!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any young funky types with kids who want to meet up in Sydney (North Shore)?

I'm very smiley at times but not young and funky being nearly 50! My daughter is 13 and we rented in Manly for a while when we first arrived nearly a year ago. If you need help or advice then pm me and I'll do what I can to help.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:53 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any young funky types with kids who want to meet up in Sydney (North Shore)?

Originally Posted by Emmis
We're moving to Sydney in just under 7 weeks (not that I'm counting the days, hours, minutes, seconds...) and was hoping to meet up with some funky types.

We've got 2 small people in tow, 3 and 6 years of age, and will be living somewhere in the Mosman (Balmoral-ish) or Manly areas.

Please, no competitive parents or whinging poms! Smiley types only!!

Funky types

People can read that in many ways...God knows who'll turn up

But I want a photo to see who thinks they're funky.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I'm very smiley at times but not young and funky being nearly 50! My daughter is 13 and we rented in Manly for a while when we first arrived nearly a year ago. If you need help or advice then pm me and I'll do what I can to help.
I'm sure you're very young and funky!!!

I think I might take you up on the offer of advice.

You wouldn't happen to know anything about Manly Village school btw?!!

My husband really wants to move to Manly. I'm keen to, but not so keen on the Spit Rd traffic/public transport to North Sydney. We really want to improve our current circumstances and have him just a hop, skip and jump away (well, 20-30 mins max!!!). Any thoughts? We have 2 little ones, 3 and 6 yrs of age.

Thank you for the lovely reply and keep smiling!!

Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by welshviking
Funky types

People can read that in many ways...God knows who'll turn up

But I want a photo to see who thinks they're funky.
Though I now see you are living in Asgard, where are you originally from in Wales? Just curious as my other half's a Gower boy!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:53 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmis
Though I now see you are living in Asgard, where are you originally from in Wales? Just curious as my other half's a Gower boy!
No i'm not in Asgard, i'm in QLD, but from Treorchy. Was in the Gower 2 weeks ago, there are some pics up if you want a look.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 6:02 am
Just Joined

AusS2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

No i'm not in Asgard, i'm in QLD, but from Treorchy. Was in the Gower 2 weeks ago, there are some pics up if you want a look.
Hmmm, I'm young (in the head anyway. I'm 40) and my girlfriend has a 4yo.

We live in Mosman and love it for the convenience. I grew up in Manly so know it well.

Seriously, if you want convenient access to the city and North Sydney you can't beat Mosman and if you can afford Balmoral, more power to ya!

Manly is lovely but the Spit bridge is a nightmare in peek hour.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 9:16 am
Just Joined

mark28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi

Hi,

Haven't been on here much since we first got here over a year ago, we live in Seaforth and I do the drive in to the city everyday, if you leave at 7 or 7.30 the traffic is no big deal 8 onwards it is a pain.

We were in Fairlight until recently, that side of the traffic lights it does back up abit but overall into the city from either spot you are looking at 30 to 40 mins tops as long as you go as mentioned at 7 or 7.30.

Plus side of being this side at the weekend is Mosman and Military road if the sun comes out at the weekend is worse than during the rush hour after 8 !, where as at least this side you have all of the northern beaches to drive around etc without that much traffic.

We have a three year old and have a fairly large group of us that have all met over and moved over this year or so with most of them in Manly or nearby so drop me a line if you want and either the dads, mums and or all of us can meet at some stage.

Good luck with the move etc.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:56 am
live free or die

Originally Posted by AusS2000

We live in Mosman and love it for the convenience. I grew up in Manly so know it well.

Seriously, if you want convenient access to the city and North Sydney you can't beat Mosman and if you can afford Balmoral, more power to ya!

I'm in Queensland love, and no plan of moving. (Especially to a city)
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 10:20 am
Just Joined

AusS2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Queensland love, and no plan of moving. (Especially to a city)
My bad. Quoted wrong message.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AusS2000

We are so tempted by Manly basically for the atmosphere, the surfing and, well, because we really like it!!
I've only been to Mosman a few times and it looked beautiful, seems very convenient... but is it "young"? We are in our thirties so aren't looking to hang out with teenagers or 18 year old students (!!) but we are desperate to be back with young/open-minded friends and fellow parents!

Out of curiosity, what's public transport like from Manly to North Sydney? According to the transport website it takes about 45 minutes.. is that realistic though? Would it probably be more like an hour due to the traffic?

Sorry for all the questions and a huge thanks for the replies!!
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Hi

Originally Posted by mark28
Hi,

Haven't been on here much since we first got here over a year ago, we live in Seaforth and I do the drive in to the city everyday, if you leave at 7 or 7.30 the traffic is no big deal 8 onwards it is a pain.

We were in Fairlight until recently, that side of the traffic lights it does back up abit but overall into the city from either spot you are looking at 30 to 40 mins tops as long as you go as mentioned at 7 or 7.30.

Plus side of being this side at the weekend is Mosman and Military road if the sun comes out at the weekend is worse than during the rush hour after 8 !, where as at least this side you have all of the northern beaches to drive around etc without that much traffic.

We have a three year old and have a fairly large group of us that have all met over and moved over this year or so with most of them in Manly or nearby so drop me a line if you want and either the dads, mums and or all of us can meet at some stage.

Good luck with the move etc.
Think we'll be getting in touch with you very soon!!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

OMG Is that the emmis from Italy. You have finally decided to make the move then? I'll look forward to meeting up. We are in Curl Curl. Commute is not too bad. My husband does it everyday, although he usually borrows the kids to take to school so he can use the T3.

PM me if you like. Love to know whats happened in the past year x
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
OMG Is that the emmis from Italy. You have finally decided to make the move then? I'll look forward to meeting up. We are in Curl Curl. Commute is not too bad. My husband does it everyday, although he usually borrows the kids to take to school so he can use the T3.

PM me if you like. Love to know whats happened in the past year x
Yes, it's me! And yes, we couldn't hold on any longer and just thought, "Sod it! It's what we want to do, so why the hell not?" !!

Curl Curl! Wow! An old school friend of my husband has just bought a house there!! Excellent surf!

For some reason I thought you'd left! We must catch up. We're getting very excited. Where is your little girl going to school btw? Any ideas what Manly Village is like? We're looking into Mosman public, Beauty Point and Manly Village. All seem nice, everyone's uber helpful (well in comparison to here!) so we can't make up our mind!!!

Will pm you when have a spare second!

xxxx
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Any young funky types with kids who want to meet up in Sydney (North Shore)?

Hi and welcome
An ever expanding group of expats meet at least monthly with/without children at various venues Northern Beaches/Hills/Upper North Shore areas. Look out for FTC posts in this section.Happy moving and if you can join us one Tuesday you`ll be welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.