Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any of you out there happy with the State Education in Oz?

Any of you out there happy with the State Education in Oz?

Old May 30th 2003, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice
Question Any of you out there happy with the State Education in Oz?

I keep reading lots of negatives regarding the State education in Oz! - there must be some of you out there who have positive things to say? - please!!

How about schools in Sydney?

I know there are good and bad schools wherever you go, so it would be great to read some positive feedback.

Hope to hear good things soon!!

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
Poppy
Old May 30th 2003, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive just been looking at the Victorian govt. web site for education
and brought up a school in the area we may live in. I went through this web site and it looked good to me.
I have sent some emails to various places with various questions and hopefully will get replies soon.
I remember certain people slaggin off the school where my daughter goes to now (here in the UK) so naturally I was very worried about sending her there.
She is now in year three and is at the top of all the subjects she takes and her sats results were excellent.
So what Im trying to say is you have to see for your self and let the school know that you keep a close check on your childs progress at school and that you are active in their education at home. One of the best ways also I find is to volunteer at the school so you get to see it running for real on a daily basis.
Also I have met many bright and intellegent Australians. I also like how they take on so much sport compared to the UK.

Cheers
booboo
Old May 31st 2003, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi All
Our 2 go to state schools just as they did at home , no problem so far we have found , scott is at senior high school yr 8 and shawnie at primary yr 6 . They both love it and seem to be getting on really well at the moment. Scotts school has a fantastic headmaster who was voted top in WA , so thats good again . Shawnie starts at 8.45 but she always wants to be there at 8.15 she loves it , scott wont even take a sick day. Email if you want to know more !!
Joanne and Paul
Old May 31st 2003, 10:40 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

What your kids aren't all diagnosed as genius's???

I thought the general trend from the recent and not so recent arrivals is that their little Edisons aren't getting the personal attention nor awe that they so obviously deserve.

The state school system in Australia is fine. As always some schools are better than others but none are experienced in raising spoilt little prats. Private school for that...

Last edited by Florida_03; May 31st 2003 at 11:08 am.
Old May 31st 2003, 1:32 pm
Bilbo

School is a day care centre for dumb kids. Learn how to learn and learn more.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Lao Tzu

The Education of Thomas Edison

Last edited by Bilbo; May 31st 2003 at 1:35 pm.

Old May 31st 2003, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pathetic

Anyone with a ounce of intelligence knows that a lack of education goes hand in hand with poverty. Every child deserves to be educated and is a right though many kids in the world dont get that right. I know some people who pay for the education and feeding of some little ones in africa. What a difference it makes to their lives. I,ve met some of these children for myself and know the results . Not all kids need to be a genius but basic reading and writing skills for some children are the beginnings of so much more. As for spoilt little prats!! they just grow up to be spoilt big prats as you may know florida03.

Just a thought
BooBoo
Old May 31st 2003, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

I agree, every child does deserve an education. We are fortunate enough that we can try and find one for ours. We have three boys and we can't afford to send them to private school, but we would like them to have the best chance there is through the state system.

As I said, there are good and bad schools in every location - I would just rather find the better ones and go from there - it's a hard enough move for the family as it is without worrying that the kids education is suffering. I am sure like most parents, my kids education is very important - a good one gives them many opportunities.

Florida03, I don't know if you have kids, but certainly from my part and I am sure the majority of people putting messages on this site, it is nothing to do with receiving the personal attention they deserve, but the education they deserve and yes, if I had the money I would certainly opt for private schools if it meant getting the best rounded education available - although I know in some private schools, that is not always the case.

I think I need to do lots of research into areas and the state schools available. Thanks for your replies Booboo, Joanne & Paul.
Old May 31st 2003, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Your,e welcome Poppy. Its not a crime to want whats best for our children.

Cheers and best of luck to you and your family
BooBoo
Old Jun 1st 2003, 3:52 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any of you out there happy with the State Education in Oz?

Originally posted by Poppy
I keep reading lots of negatives regarding the State education in Oz! - there must be some of you out there who have positive things to say? - please!!

I know there are good and bad schools wherever you go, so it would be great to read some positive feedback.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
Poppy
I have my son in a state high school here and my daughter is in state primary - both are happy at school and doing well.

I don't know about Florida_03 level of believing our children are our individual little geniuses but I know my son is bright for his age. I researched the schools and live in an area because of the schools for the children. He is year 8 but his age is more suitable to year 7. He is also in a selective group which pushes the children more. On the other hand my daughter year 5 (moved down when we came here because of her age) needs support in school as she is paritially deaf and does not have alot of confidence in her academic ability - she is enjoying her primary and I find the different emphasis for her on joining in and making the best of her abilities a more positive experience for her needs. She has tested average to above average in her ability but needs encouragement or will very quickly settle for doing the least possible. My great moments have come from her doing well in personal presentations that her class undertake and singing in the choir.

What I am saying is that we all have children with different abilities and needs and if we did the best for them in the UK we will do the best for them here. There is opportunity to get out of school support for your children - yes you have to pay for the extra tuition but still a real alternative to private education which I have to state in my opinion does not infer a better education - that can come from parental support and encouragement.

Sorry if this sounds like a lecture not meant to be. I would be happy with my kids anywhere in the world regardless of the education standards. Their learning is bigger than schools. To tell you one thing I thought the standard of education where I lived in the UK was well below par compared to Northern Ireland where I grew up. Where I went to school you were only allowed to do AEB board exams (England and Wales) if you failed the NI Board ones!!! We seriously considered moving back to Belfast because of the state of the mainland education.

I do know I am talking about education opportunities in Sydney - which is all I know, of course it might differ where the choice is smaller. There is some opportunity for selective places in grammar schools in NSW if your children pass the selective exams.

I have also read/heard that some of the expats moving over are unhappy with the education standards as too are some in the UK.
This is an awful predicament - cause we all want to do the best for our kids and I sympathise. I am still not sure whether any choice I make for my kids will be the right one - most probably I will be told later on from my kids when they are 18 - but hey they could give me crap about the choice of their UK schools, least ways this way - they get two sets of schools to bitch about and dual nationality!

Cheers Sandra

Last edited by Sandra; Jun 1st 2003 at 4:52 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any of you out there happy with the State Education in Oz?

Originally posted by Poppy

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
Poppy
We live in the 'hills district' which is about 25km north/west of Sydney and we have no complaints about our kids school. To be honest most mums you talk to around here are all happy with the schooling in this area and I haven't heard any comments about 'bad' schools or 'bad' education system.

I totally agree with you Sandra

Mandy