Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any of you get UK Newspapers sent to Oz??

Any of you get UK Newspapers sent to Oz??

Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:22 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold
Default Any of you get UK Newspapers sent to Oz??

I know before you all bombard me with replies that you can read the paper on line, BUT like my OH says it just isnt the same!!

All he keeps on about is reading The Sun and News of the World (I know some of you will bulk at the thought of reading those papers, but each to their own!!!!!) but it is mainly for the sport he misses all the footie news etc!! Anyway I went into the Newsagent the other day and whilst getting The Sun sent over would reallly be silly, he said he can get The News of the World sent over for $8 and would take 5 days, we thought this wasnt bad and thought we would treat ourselves for a couple of months!!

Just wondered if anyone else was as silly as us!!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:25 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any of you get UK Newspapers sent to Oz??

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
I know before you all bombard me with replies that you can read the paper on line, BUT like my OH says it just isnt the same!!

All he keeps on about is reading The Sun and News of the World (I know some of you will bulk at the thought of reading those papers, but each to their own!!!!!) but it is mainly for the sport he misses all the footie news etc!! Anyway I went into the Newsagent the other day and whilst getting The Sun sent over would reallly be silly, he said he can get The News of the World sent over for $8 and would take 5 days, we thought this wasnt bad and thought we would treat ourselves for a couple of months!!

Each to their own as you say, personally I wouldn't waste my money but if it makes you happy.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We subscribe to the International Daily Telegraph, which gets delivered to us each week.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

I know before you all bombard me with replies that you can read the paper on line,
You do know you can read it on line don't you?

I read the Sun online everyday and never buy it now. I certainly wouldn't pay to read it five days late (or the NotW). ....... but each to their own.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

I think there is enough crap in the Aussie newspapers to keep most tabloid readers happy. I find the longer yopu stay here the less you miss the Brit papers, certainly the weekend papers are just as massive here as they are in the UK. i guess if sport is what you miss then maybe it is worthwhile. Maybe try and get your OH to get into AFL, it is great fun to watch live and even on the tele its not bad, lasts longer than footie and there are always plenty of scores. You also have the advantage that your team will never get relegated!! The season is a bit shorter though. The only Brit publication i do get sent out is Private Eye, there doesn't seem to be an equivelent here, i guess if you like it then it is worth the $8 (about a pint of beer in most pubs).
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:04 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I bought one of the international weekly papers (Mail I think) for the first few weeks after arrival but didn't bother after that. I decided it would help me settle more if I stopped thinking of the UK and starting getting into the Aussie events. The top few UK stories will be in the local papers and so will all the soccer and other major results.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:05 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve G
You do know you can read it on line don't you?

I read the Sun online everyday and never buy it now. I certainly wouldn't pay to read it five days late (or the NotW). ....... but each to their own.
Yes I know we are mad, well it isnt really me it is the OH, I am thinking you see that he has this thing in his head remembering reading the paper, and when he has had it for a couple of weeks, realises that it isnt all it is cracked up to be!! Well thats my hope!!

You know how it is when you have a memory and then when you see the reality again it isnt the same!! This is my plan!!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:07 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Pity your not in Brisbane as I could offer you a few $'s to have it after you!

I get the odd Nottingham Evening Post or Football Post sent over by the old man to keep me up to date with Forest news.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:40 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Deb buys the International Express at our local newsagents, I've read it a few times. It seems to portray the U.K as a crime ridden desolate place, it's a seriously depressing read.
I prefer the Gymp eye Times, it's a much more upbeat rag
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Deb buys the International Express at our local newsagents, I've read it a few times. It seems to portray the U.K as a crime ridden desolate place, it's a seriously depressing read.
It's the international version of The Daily Express.

Enough said.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:06 am
A Returning Member!!

Originally Posted by cresta57
I prefer the Gymp eye Times, it's a much more upbeat rag
Yes we bought this to, thought exactly the same as you!!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:43 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

We subscribe to and get sent out the League Express rugby league paper and it arrives every Monday prompt. Wouldn't consider the depressing newspapers though

Loz x
Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:52 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I used to buy the weekly uk Daily Telegraph. However a few years in and smh.com.au is my weapon of choice.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:09 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

My mum send me over a couple of national papers for us to have a read of and our old local paper

I pass these on to other brits that we know and we all feel a bit better for touching base (so to speak)

But its not regular just when theres a story of interest (the floods recently)

i wouldn't arrange to have it sent over regulary, theres not that much that happens over there that i'd want to read
Old Sep 1st 2007, 1:12 am
A Returning Member!!

Originally Posted by Sam
i wouldn't arrange to have it sent over regulary, theres not that much that happens over there that i'd want to read
I agree really, think what it is that everyone deals with the emigrating process differently my OH is going through the everything wasnt that bad in the UK section, which was the case, our lives were great there, but there was something missing, but in my opinion our lives are even better now being here in Oz!! So think he is just hanging on to a couple of things, like I said before think it wont be an on going thing, well I hope not at that cost!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.