Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Working Chefs out here?

Any Working Chefs out here?

Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice
Default Any Working Chefs out here?

I have been a house dad for the past 18 months and am now thing of returning to part time work as a Chef. I have been told that in the sea-side town where we live; they are so short of chefs that I can get a really good wage. Problem is I have absolutly no idea what a decent wage is. The only point of reference that I have is when I worked in Sydney's CBD six years ago and got $16/hr.

Are there any chefs out there who can give me some ammo to arm myself with employers?

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2005, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice
Default Re: Any Working Chefs out here?

Originally Posted by avroncotton
I have been a house dad for the past 18 months and am now thing of returning to part time work as a Chef. I have been told that in the sea-side town where we live; they are so short of chefs that I can get a really good wage. Problem is I have absolutly no idea what a decent wage is. The only point of reference that I have is when I worked in Sydney's CBD six years ago and got $16/hr.

Are there any chefs out there who can give me some ammo to arm myself with employers?

Thanks
Just a repost to keep this at the top of the pile!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:47 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

You might want to post this in the Working abroad forum, under the Chef link. I worked as a chef out there, but in WA. I was on a working holiday visa and was taking home $500 per week, as it was a temporary position, I was happy with the wage at the time. I'm positive you can earn more money on the east coast though.

Have you looked at www.seek.com.au - it might shed some light on the salary bandings for chefs.

Let me know how you get on.

Claire
Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:55 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Also, when I was in Oz in June, I was speaking to a friend of mine who is a school teacher and she said that Oz is screaming out for teachers/lecturers who have worked in the catering industry as chefs. She teaches HE. It's a nice alternative and a lot more socialable, especially if you have a little un....just a thought, it might be worth looking into.

She also said (My teacher friend) that new grads are demanding very high wages for chef positions now, so I think things have slightly changed since I was there many moons ago.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

davyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the rough

Hi Claire Im in the process of skills assessment at the moment but am currently teaching catering in HE, what part of oz does your friend teach?
was interesting to hear that there is a demand for teachers/lecturers as i find the lifestyle (plenty hols, no late nights etc) much better than when i was cheffing!
Davy

Originally Posted by claire edwards
Also, when I was in Oz in June, I was speaking to a friend of mine who is a school teacher and she said that Oz is screaming out for teachers/lecturers who have worked in the catering industry as chefs. She teaches HE. It's a nice alternative and a lot more socialable, especially if you have a little un....just a thought, it might be worth looking into.

She also said (My teacher friend) that new grads are demanding very high wages for chef positions now, so I think things have slightly changed since I was there many moons ago.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:41 am
Life is good

Perth, WA - where are you headed?
Old Aug 25th 2005, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

davyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the rough

Hiya Claire I've got family in perth and canberra, Im thinking canberra at the mo coz i think perth might be a wee bit too hot and i wanted to be somewhere real australian! if that makes sense?
Peace n that
Davy

Originally Posted by claire edwards
Perth, WA - where are you headed?