Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any IT workers in Brisbane. what is the job situation like?

Any IT workers in Brisbane. what is the job situation like?

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold
Default Any IT workers in Brisbane. what is the job situation like?

We have decided to go and were about to start the process off when I read that there might not really be a call for workers. My husband currently works in London and has done for 8 years. He will have to have his skills assessed and will probably get through on the C#, C++ assessment. What is the job market really like out there. We decided on Brisbane as Sydney looks a bit expensive although wages do look higher and all the banks are there. Any info would be gratefully received as we don't want to apply and find out he will not get work
Thanks
Tam
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Cardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to all
Default Re: Any IT workers in Brisbane. what is the job situation like?

Originally Posted by TMRE
We have decided to go and were about to start the process off when I read that there might not really be a call for workers. My husband currently works in London and has done for 8 years. He will have to have his skills assessed and will probably get through on the C#, C++ assessment. What is the job market really like out there. We decided on Brisbane as Sydney looks a bit expensive although wages do look higher and all the banks are there. Any info would be gratefully received as we don't want to apply and find out he will not get work
Thanks
Tam
Im sure those located in Aus will help when they wake up......but in the mean time I've found www.seek.com.au amongst others to be useful in comparing the job market to where im currently living.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:17 am
Just Joined

marktyler74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any IT workers in Brisbane. what is the job situation like?

Situation is ok-ish but you'll miss out on the not having many banks bit. Although people will argue they're not the be-all and end-all they are massive users of IT, specifically bespoke in-house written software. I have it on good authority that the going rate for C# is $55-65/hr. Just a bit less than a 1:1 conversion from a UK wage. If your husband was working in the city (of London) like myself you'll find that you're proportionately a fair bit worse off because the presence of all those banks keeps the rates high. However the prospect of travelling to work on the CityCat rather than the tube is great. Wages in Brisbane do seem to be quite low compared to the cost of living. Hope this helps.