British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Any welders/fabricators boilermakers out there? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/any-welders-fabricators-boilermakers-out-there-306199/)

THEOLIVERS Jun 1st 2005 8:48 am

Any welders/fabricators boilermakers out there?

Hi all, :)
just wondering about hubbys work, hes been a blacksmith/welder for 17yrs and from what we can tell aus needs these types of workers. We have been looking through threads and it seems even with a tra recognition he may find it hard to be recognised as a tradesman without getting australian qualies, please could somebody help to quell my wobbles particulary anyone in the same field, just how easy was it to get a job in this field??
any replies appreciated, thanks :) :) leanne.

keel Jun 1st 2005 1:54 pm

Re: Any welders/fabricators boilermakers out there?

Rest easy Leanne

I'm not sure about the rest of Oz but in WA they are crying out for blacksmith/welders (about $23/26 an hour).

My company can't get any local workers and have had to sponsor 12 boilermaker/welders from South Africa.

Your hubby should find work no problem with his TRA.

Keel

Originally Posted by THEOLIVERS
just wondering about hubbys work, hes been a blacksmith/welder for 17yrs and from what we can tell aus needs these types of workers. We have been looking through threads and it seems even with a tra recognition he may find it hard to be recognised as a tradesman without getting australian qualies, please could somebody help to quell my wobbles particulary anyone in the same field, just how easy was it to get a job in this field??

kaz,n,jeff Jun 1st 2005 3:35 pm

hi leanne, dont worrie, my hubby has been a self employed welder for 25 years in family business,didnt have any "formal" training but with a lot of paperwork, he sailed through his "tra".

regards karen ps.. we are are off to baldivis nr rockingham 11th september.! :cool:

THEOLIVERS Jun 2nd 2005 11:05 am

Originally Posted by keel
Rest easy Leanne

I'm not sure about the rest of Oz but in WA they are crying out for blacksmith/welders (about $23/26 an hour).

My company can't get any local workers and have had to sponsor 12 boilermaker/welders from South Africa.

Your hubby should find work no problem with his TRA.

Keel

Thankks for the replys guys, :)
i feel a bit comforted to know his job is in demand.Sometimes it feels a big leap into the unknown, we have family in perth so thats where we will be heading just got to get the TRA sorted out (what a job) any pointers with that would be much appreciated. thanks Leanne. :)

SonicBird Jun 2nd 2005 11:15 am

Hello!
Me and the hubster are in the same boat - we're just sorting the TRA now. We're just submitting every piece of evidence we can find to support the fact the he's a welder/fabricator. Hubster has been self employed for past 9 years, but has no formal qualifications. Just get your hubby to write down everything he does, tools he uses, how he makes stuff, references from customers, suppliers, etc etc. And keep yer fingers crossed - but I'm sure he'll be fine - they are crying out for boilermaker/welder/fabricator types in Oz!
Good luck
Sonic x
;)

THEOLIVERS Jun 2nd 2005 11:29 am

Originally Posted by SonicBird
Hello!
Me and the hubster are in the same boat - we're just sorting the TRA now. We're just submitting every piece of evidence we can find to support the fact the he's a welder/fabricator. Hubster has been self employed for past 9 years, but has no formal qualifications. Just get your hubby to write down everything he does, tools he uses, how he makes stuff, references from customers, suppliers, etc etc. And keep yer fingers crossed - but I'm sure he'll be fine - they are crying out for boilermaker/welder/fabricator types in Oz!
Good luck
Sonic x
;)

Yes we"re the same, he did a 4 yr apprenticeship in blacksmithing with the old forges when he first left school this was done the old way no college just a lot of blood sweat and quite a few cracked ribs!
for the last 12 yrs hes welded different types im not that knowledgable in this feild but hes done most types of welding he just never got the paper work to prove it, but apparantley that doesnt matter anyway because tra sound like they want every detail so thats what they ere going to get!!! thanks for reply :) karma sent to all :) :)

kaz,n,jeff Jun 2nd 2005 11:56 am

Yes we"re the same, he did a 4 yr apprenticeship in blacksmithing with the old forges when he first left school this was done the old way no college just a lot of blood sweat and quite a few cracked ribs!
for the last 12 yrs hes welded different types im not that knowledgable in this feild but hes done most types of welding he just never got the paper work to prove it, but apparantley that doesnt matter anyway because tra sound like they want every detail so thats what they ere going to get!!! thanks for reply :) karma sent to all :) :)

hi, yes i aggree with sonic, get him to describe all materials how he wedls them ,differant tecniques etc,as much decription as poss, and get refs from customers and regulas supplyers. good luck kaz. :confused: :D