Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any views on Port Macquarie?

Any views on Port Macquarie?

Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Shaundawn will become famous soon enough
Default Any views on Port Macquarie?

Hi...We are thinking of going to Port Macquarie in Jan, depending on the house sale etc. We have done some research and it looks very nice, house prices look ok. I am a cook in a nursery and my boyfriend is a painter and decorator but has done plenty of other jobs in the building trade.
Can anyone tell us if there is plenty to go at in the way of jobs and things to do?
Any views would be great.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 10:51 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any views on Port Macquarie?

Originally Posted by Shaundawn
Hi...We are thinking of going to Port Macquarie in Jan, depending on the house sale etc. We have done some research and it looks very nice, house prices look ok. I am a cook in a nursery and my boyfriend is a painter and decorator but has done plenty of other jobs in the building trade.
Can anyone tell us if there is plenty to go at in the way of jobs and things to do?
Port is nice, lots of new housing developments going on so your OH shouldn't have any problem finding work. If you don't mind living 4 hours from the nearest city (Sydney) then Port is probably the best place to live north of Sydney. Be sure that Port has everything you need and want as there is sod all more to do or go within a 4 hour drive in any direction.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

ew502 will become famous soon enoughew502 will become famous soon enough

Hi

I live 40 min south of Port and its a lovely area, both beaches and hinterland. Work situation is not too bad and they are going to start on the upgrade of the pacific highway soon, so lots of jobs going locally - so the rumour goes. There is also the airport at Port, which also may be improved, but at the moment you can fly twice a day (i think) to Sydney and up to Coffs. The flight to Sydney is just over the hour. Have a look at at the local papers, try 'your guide', and www.jobsearch.gov.au.

The temp is also nice, winters are a bit chilly in the morning and evening, but by 11am its shorts weather. It was only humid in Feb this year, but people tell me it was a cool winter.

Pm me if you have any other questions. We've been here over a year now and don't regret it at all.

Cheers
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Shaundawn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ew502
Hi

I live 40 min south of Port and its a lovely area, both beaches and hinterland. Work situation is not too bad and they are going to start on the upgrade of the pacific highway soon, so lots of jobs going locally - so the rumour goes. There is also the airport at Port, which also may be improved, but at the moment you can fly twice a day (i think) to Sydney and up to Coffs. The flight to Sydney is just over the hour. Have a look at at the local papers, try 'your guide', and www.jobsearch.gov.au.

The temp is also nice, winters are a bit chilly in the morning and evening, but by 11am its shorts weather. It was only humid in Feb this year, but people tell me it was a cool winter.

Pm me if you have any other questions. We've been here over a year now and don't regret it at all.

Cheers
Hi ew502,thanks for the reply its great to speak with someone who knows the area,were new to this forum so hope this finds you thanks again S&D
Old Sep 17th 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Port is a wonderfully beautiful place. Excellent weather in winter, very friendly locals, great beaches and scenery.
Would love to retire somewhere like there, but for now is a tad too quiet and remote for our needs.
Would highly recommend it for holidays or retirement.
If you like a quiet life away and enjoying relaxing past times then it'd be great. . If you want more than relaxed country living then it won't be ideal
Old Sep 17th 2007, 10:39 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Port is a wonderfully beautiful place. Excellent weather in winter, very friendly locals, great beaches and scenery.
Would love to retire somewhere like there, but for now is a tad too quiet and remote for our needs.
Would highly recommend it for holidays or retirement.
If you like a quiet life away and enjoying relaxing past times then it'd be great. . If you want more than relaxed country living then it won't be ideal
We passed through earlier this year, I like the look of Port Macquarie, it's sort of place I could live, definitely.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I have a cousin who has lived in Australia since the early 60's. She was brought up in Sydney, but moved to Port Macquarie about 7 years ago for the lifestyle and loves it there. we have been to visit and agree that it is a lovely place. Not too sure about the job situation though.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Port is nice, lots of new housing developments going on so your OH shouldn't have any problem finding work. If you don't mind living 4 hours from the nearest city (Sydney) then Port is probably the best place to live north of Sydney. Be sure that Port has everything you need and want as there is sod all more to do or go within a 4 hour drive in any direction.
Agree with that!
Good luck with it
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Suuz will become famous soon enoughSuuz will become famous soon enough

Hi there

We visited Port MacQuarie on a trip last year. Really is a lovely place. We are planning to move to Oz next year and if we didn't have two teenagers to consider it would definitely be on our list of great places to live. However, at moment a bit too far away from major cities for our two boys. You can see it on the webcam if you go to coastalwatch surfcams.

Suuz