Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any veiws on deception bay ?

any veiws on deception bay ?

Old Oct 13th 2003, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

tmmykatie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any veiws on deception bay ?

Can any one give me veiws on the area Deception Bay ? anything good or bad.

cheers
Old Oct 13th 2003, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Can't stop laughing!Can't believe someone in SE London has even heard of the suburb of Deception Bay!

I'd be wary of buying property there without going there first and seeing it for yourself.It's about 40km north of Brisbane. Property is being snapped up by investors at the moment and the prices have shot up.Makes me wonder if they have been buying them without actually going there themselves.There is no beach just mudflats and swamp. It's a long drive from Brisbane and there is no train there.They have opened a shopping centre at nearby North Lakes which makes shopping easier.It's a "lower socio economic" area. (Don't get me wrong-I'm no snob).

Hope this is some help!
Mary
Old Oct 14th 2003, 12:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: any veiws on deception bay ?

Originally posted by tmmykatie
Can any one give me veiws on the area Deception Bay ? anything good or bad.

cheers
Depression*bay is a bit of a rough area. A few years back (just before the boom) the houses in the area were dirt cheap.You basically couldn't walk into any estate agent in Deadcliffe* without seeing listings upon listings of houses for sale in that region. A four bed house was around $115,000 &120,000 .

Near to the water (walking distance)the homes are older type brick. A new estate went up about two, or three years ago further back.

Like the above poster has mentioned - don't expect beaches, it is very shallow.

In recent years the houses have slowly risen, but not by too much. The reason for this Deadcliffe prices have shot through the roof (Redcliffe ie Deadcliffe is down a bit from Deception Bay) so they've pushed depression bay homes up a bit. It is still a very cheap area. You will still be able to pick up a home from $145.

My opinion on the place - It's not an area I would choose to live in.

I used to live in the Deadcliffe area, which is down a bit from Depression Bay. Personally I did not like Redcliffe either, not my type of thing, but if you are looking at anywhere in that area I would suggest to you try Redcliffe and not Deception Bay. Redcliffe at least has beaches (still shallow, but never the less beaches), cafe's pubs, ect, ect .. a bit like an English sea town.

Cheers

PS *Deadcliffe = Redcliffe, *Depression Bay = Deception Bay... mind you if you walk into an estate agents in Redcliffe and say have you any homes for sale in Depression Bay they'll know exactly what you mean!