Any useful info welcome..

Any useful info welcome..

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:54 am
Just Joined

S-and-A-Potter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any useful info welcome..

Just joined- and looking for advice.
After a year in Adelaide, we've just decided to stay, and have a few questions:
- Can we get a medicare card? When we arrived last year we were told we could only have one for 3 months and then would have to be covered by travel insurance. Is that true? Do we have to wait for residency? (I'm on an occupational trainee visa)
- What's the deal with buying a house? again- do we have to be permanent residents? What is the Foreign Investment Bureau and how long does going through them take?
- Anyone know good shipping companies from the UK (South West)?

Any other helpful hints also appreciated!

Alexa
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:03 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any useful info welcome..

Originally Posted by S-and-A-Potter
- Can we get a medicare card? When we arrived last year we were told we could only have one for 3 months and then would have to be covered by travel insurance. Is that true? Do we have to wait for residency? (I'm on an occupational trainee visa)
- What's the deal with buying a house? again- do we have to be permanent residents? What is the Foreign Investment Bureau and how long does going through them take?

Alexa
Hi Alexa

I'm thinking this might be better off in the main forum so a nice mod might move it for you.

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S-and-A-Potter

Alexa
What subclass of visa is that? I've not heard of any called that name before, but will probably know the number.

Buying a house, yes you will need approval from the FIRB, but it's not too complicated and doesn't take too long. Their website is here: http://www.firb.gov.au/content/default.asp

Can't help with shipping, I just brought a suitcase

Where abouts in Adelaide are you? I'm up North in Para Hills
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Dont eat yellow snow!

On a more seriuos note, these are the people we are going to use for shipping part loads, Bristol based, I dont know how much you intend to ship but they seemed one of the best to us for less than a full container.
http://www.shipit.co.uk/