Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any uk truck drivers in oz ? what did you have to do ?

any uk truck drivers in oz ? what did you have to do ?

Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice
Default any uk truck drivers in oz ? what did you have to do ?

got my class 1 (c+e) and thinking of taking a driving job and wondered if you encountered any problems..going to redcliffe qld in may...want a job there or there abouts and see there are decent rates of pay..not got one yet but on the look out too...any help with details of what needs to be done would be good...been told i dont need to do anything until i get residency but want to clarify anything before i bugger anything up !
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:43 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any uk truck drivers in oz ? what did you have to do ?

Originally Posted by jaca View Post
got my class 1 (c+e) and thinking of taking a driving job and wondered if you encountered any problems..going to redcliffe qld in may...want a job there or there abouts and see there are decent rates of pay..not got one yet but on the look out too...any help with details of what needs to be done would be good...been told i dont need to do anything until i get residency but want to clarify anything before i bugger anything up !
You need to PM Fluffythecampfireslayer who you will find in this thread for speed... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494250 and 232Bar who you will find on this thread... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497810 both did their HGV conversions in the Redcliffe area of Aus from the UK license and Fluffy should have up to date wages (he also presently resides in Redcliffe).

Both went with Ian Watsons to convert see http://www.ianwatson.net/index.php/3

other than that can't help you at all, as I'm not a trucker but would advise you think about buying a 4 X 4 once you get here as we meet up regular around that area for fun days out....
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

jennylouise is an unknown quantity at this point

hello, just come accross your thread if you dont mind be asking you said u a hgv driver class 1,how did you go about applying to immigrate,the reason for me asking is that my hubbie is a class1- driver we too are looking into ways of trying to immigrate to australia. i have been a member on hear for a while now and just getting things sorted asking questions finding out info so when we do apply we are in the no (so to speak)except hgv is not on the demand list,and from previous threads on hear lots of truck drivers were asking why its not on the demand list for oz,sorry to be cheeky my husband also quailifed as a bricklayer so we have more of an oppotunity and im due to qualify as a hairdresser in june. i did read your thread right didnt i ??????
be great to speak to you if you dont mind.
thanks for letting me waffle on lol
jenxx
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice

wifes a nurse and coming on her qld govt visa thingy ! and as for 4x4 ing ! i am a member of the delica club in oz ! love them but as i sell them here in the uk i can get them otr for 5k aud here....cost me 16k aud there !! bloody mental !! might still bring one if i can get the fee's/duty costs confirmed....

Last edited by jaca; Jan 2nd 2008 at 10:14 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:37 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

wifes a nurse and coming on her qld govt visa thingy ! and as for 4x4 ing ! i am a member of the delica club in oz ! love them but as i sell them here in the uk i can get them otr for 5k aud here....cost me 16k aud there !! bloody mental !! might still bring one if i can get the fee's/duty costs confirmed....
Welcome to Australia!!!

Used car dealers - robbing baskets!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

rob, i am one of the nice guys ...honest ! only do it part time and have a specific interest in jap imports and specifically subarus and delicas.....i would love to get my head round importing them there but seems like a crazy process compared to the uk....need to sit and read more....
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

HELLO THANKS FOR THAT HAD ARE FEELING THAT YOU PROBLY GOING ON YOUR PARTNER SKILLS AS YOU KNOW HGV NOT LISTED ON DEMAND LIST.
I HAVE FAMILY OUT IN QUEENSLAND ON THE SUNSHINE COAST BROTHER BEEN OUT THERE FOR YEARS AND SISTER WENT OUT IN AUGUST SO WE ARE MAKING PLANS THATS WHY WE GETTING QUALIFIED WE PROBLY GO ON MY SKILLS AS A HAIRDRESSER JUST GOT TO GET EXP SAME OLD ITS A NIGHTMARE,STILL ALL IS NOT LOST,
WELL HOPE ALL GOES WELL IM SURE IT WILL
LOVE TO HEAR HOW YOU ARE GETTING ON
JEN THANKS AGAIN
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

no probs, happy to help...starting to get excited though and our police checks are going tomorrow !! and wife is waiting on nurse pin number and then its heave ho !!!!!!!!! edit *** i dont actually mind what i do out there...been a domestic and commercial tiler for years but had my hgv as back up so building/tiling/shopfitting is all good and hgv back up .. would even work on a dive charter ( divemaster trained in cairns years ago !) many strings to my rather experienced bow !! some useful, some not !

Last edited by jaca; Jan 3rd 2008 at 8:13 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

hi glad you are getting excited i would be also
yes thats why we have decided to get different careers,more options to be honest with you like you say you do have your hgv as back up same as my hubbie he is just waiting to get a card which alows him to start working on site so he can do his bricklaying (cant remember the name of it) so he can start clocking up the hours and experience ,we are a long way off to start the process,altho i have family who are willing to sponsor us,but its not that easy is it,
but these things take time but we are determine to stick it out and keep up to date with the immigration and visa etc.
With determination we will succeed in the end.fingers crossed

Last edited by jennylouise; Jan 7th 2008 at 1:35 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

done all our medicals the other day so just awaiting visa then we are offski ! probably end of may so cant wait ! need to email the driving instructor guy to see what he says about the uk truck license....
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:26 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Just check the Qld recognises the UK C+E... in WA they do not and you have to retake your licence/test.