Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any uk surfers moved to australia primarily for the waves

any uk surfers moved to australia primarily for the waves

Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of
Default any uk surfers moved to australia primarily for the waves

interested to know of other surfers that have moved here for the great surf.

where did you surf in the uk ? whats your local now?

favorite places to surf in oz? or places to avoid?

the standard of surfing over here compared to uk?

any hassles in the water for been a pom?

do you think you would have made the move if you dint surf?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of
Default Re: any uk surfers moved to australia primarily for the waves

originally from yorkshire so started surfing at scarborough and cayton bay.
lived in cornwall for 3 years loved gwithian but surfed most spots on north coast and praa sands on the south.

now on the nsw north coast local beach is cabarita, nice friendly mixed bunch out there but can get crowded or hastings point to escape the crowds.
get down to byron a fair bit and had a few frustating sessions up at snapper

found some great spots down in south nsw and eastern vico. never scored on the great ocean rd bit ,have to do that again
love getting away to the national parks close to us , minnie waters or point plumer.

would i be in oz if there wasnt any waves? nah id be in france or portugal.
as for the standard out here they all rip from young kids to the oldies definitely improved my surfing been here
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:18 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oz miller man
interested to know of other surfers that have moved here for the great surf.

where did you surf in the uk ? whats your local now?

favorite places to surf in oz? or places to avoid?

the standard of surfing over here compared to uk?

any hassles in the water for been a pom?

do you think you would have made the move if you dint surf?
I was more of a weekend warrior than the real deal, but the surf played a large part in our lives in the UK and indeed one of the reasons we moved to Oz was because we couldn't afford to live on the North Cornwall coast. We used to got Croyde, Fistral, Crantock, Watergate Bay - depending on the conditions. We now live on the South Coast of NSW which, to be honest, is not famed for its surf spots, though The Farm at Shellharbour, Surf Beach at Kiama and Mollymook are all excellent.

My local beach is Seven Mile Beach which is great at the northern end, but fairly crappy down my end. It's too open to be a reliable surf spot down here. Anyway - still beautiful. Standard of surfing, as you can probably imagine, is very high. Certainly the kids here seem born with a surfboard welded under their arm and all their bikes have board racks on them.

Never any grief for being a pom - you'll only piss off the locals if you drop in on their wave or otherwise behave like a grom - same as everywhere to be honest. Usual rules of etiquette apply.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

ozoz will become famous soon enoughozoz will become famous soon enough

originally from yorkshire so started surfing at scarborough and cayton bay.
lived in cornwall for 3 years loved gwithian but surfed most spots on north coast and praa sands on the south.

now on the nsw north coast local beach is cabarita, nice friendly mixed bunch out there but can get crowded or hastings point to escape the crowds.
get down to byron a fair bit and had a few frustating sessions up at snapper

found some great spots down in south nsw and eastern vico. never scored on the great ocean rd bit ,have to do that again
love getting away to the national parks close to us , minnie waters or point plumer.

would i be in oz if there wasnt any waves? nah id be in france or portugal.
as for the standard out here they all rip from young kids to the oldies definitely improved my surfing been here

I came to australia for the waves as one of my main reasons, My local breaks back in england where in n yorks whitby, scarbs (the cove, s land, admirals being some of my favorite). Surf now at the bra, tama have surfed all along the east coast from eden to snapper and theres some obvious very good surfers. But putting things into respect i think the waves in the ne yorkshire beat alot of the waves in oz minus the cold in yorkshire.This is simply because lower crowds at the good spots a more mellow vibe, less angry locals, sharks etc.
Heres one for mellow man taken of me a few years ago of the cove

Hopefully arrange a nsw surfers meetup oneday
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:56 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Love Fistral and Newquay in general.

Never surfed in the UK, too Cold , to bad at it.

Now we Love me and the kids, water temp always warm, waves a plenty.

Live 40 minutes from Surfers Paradise.

We normally go sunshine coast though as less people, waves aren't so harsh, especially being a novice, didn't come here for the surf, but boy it is a big part of our lives now.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:44 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben

Ditto!

But learning to surf was a major part of my decision to move here. After riding horses for 25 years I decided it was time for a change. Though I confess I get the best of both here - working out west were there's a horse on every property and weekending on the south coast - board riders paradise.

I'm still not very good - but I do try, and you'll usually find me at McCauleys (north side of Sandon Point), Thirroul, Little Austi or Coledale. The Farm is on my list to try next (good break for us useless folk I believe) and I cant wait for the day I can jump off the rocks on the point and paddle out for an 8ft barrel.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama
I cant wait for the day I can jump off the rocks on the point and paddle out for an 8ft barrel.
I've been munched by a 3.5m wave and it's not something I'm very keen on repeating.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
Love Fistral and Newquay in general.

Now we Love me and the kids, water temp always warm, waves a plenty.

Live 40 minutes from Surfers Paradise.
Most surfers don't consider Surfers to be a paradise though. Burleigh and all beaches south are the deal. Probably more aggro at Snapper because of the number of top quality surfers mixing with the 'not very good but want to have a go at a top spot' surfers
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Hutch;7380818]I was more of a weekend warrior than the real deal, but the surf played a large part in our lives in the UK and indeed one of the reasons we moved to Oz was because we couldn't afford to live on the North Cornwall coast. We used to got Croyde, Fistral, Crantock, Watergate Bay -

house prices are ridicules in cornwall we sold up in yorkshire but would only have been able to afford a 1 bed flat down there. gave us the push we needed to move out here as it was like moving to another country. great for the surf as no mater the wind you can usually find a decent wave and not far off the consistency you find here on the east coast

[QUOTE=ozoz;7382751]I came to australia for the waves as one of my main reasons, My local breaks back in england where in n yorks whitby, scarbs

only did my learning on a longboard on the east coast and never in the winter, just seen your pic...hood, booties n gloves thats one thing i dont miss..lol
but the waves do get epic. did you see the photo in feb surfing life?
did have a few missions on the east coast couple of years ago when i was back visiting family, got up to bamburgh and had some nice waves next to dunstanburgh castle with not another person in sight, would loved to have got in at staithes cove but never did and had some nice waves down at withernsea of all places.

the comment i made about if oz had no surf i wouldnt be here is purely hypothetical as this country has many great things to offer but once you surf you never want to be away from the ocean.
i have family (sister n nephews) who live up in far north queensland forever asking us to move up there......the only place in oz that gets no surf ...not likely no mater how beautiful it is and how much cheaper the houses are
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

errrr
my quotes dint work right
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:44 am
Australia's Doorman

i have family (sister n nephews) who live up in far north queensland forever asking us to move up there......the only place in oz that gets no surf ...not likely no mater how beautiful it is and how much cheaper the houses are
Had similar thoughts. That and the jellyfish issue.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:23 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Had similar thoughts. That and the jellyfish issue.
And crocs.

And cane toads!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Iam just about up been going south gold coast, but it dose gets a bit crowded at times, never surf in uk although my family lived 20mins from Newquay, there is normaly a few poms that go down on sunday morning some that surfed in uk some that are total beginners, nothing serious, mainly taking the piss out of each others lack of talent. We will have to have an ex pats surf morning!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ponyrama
And crocs.

And cane toads!
dont forget the humidity, constent rain and cyclones

Originally Posted by calNgary
Iam just about up been going south gold coast, but it dose gets a bit crowded at times, never surf in uk although my family lived 20mins from Newquay, there is normaly a few poms that go down on sunday morning some that surfed in uk some that are total beginners, nothing serious, mainly taking the piss out of each others lack of talent. We will have to have an ex pats surf morning!
id be up for that, only surfed snapper a few time just to say i have more than anything. got a pom mate who lives on the goldy who goes to burleigh a fair bit...be good to have a few post surf beers.
hard to drive past cabarita these days usually a nice fat wave good for beginners/intermediates and south of the headland gives some protection from the northeast winds

hutch..
theres some great national parks down your way. maybe we were just lucky on our trip down there but scored waves at depot beach, pretty beach in the murramang nat park and mimosa rocks near tathra, great camping some of the best parks ive seen in nsw
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

ozoz will become famous soon enoughozoz will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=oz miller man;7383360][QUOTE=Hutch;7380818]I was more of a weekend warrior than the real deal, but the surf played a large part in our lives in the UK and indeed one of the reasons we moved to Oz was because we couldn't afford to live on the North Cornwall coast. We used to got Croyde, Fistral, Crantock, Watergate Bay -

house prices are ridicules in cornwall we sold up in yorkshire but would only have been able to afford a 1 bed flat down there. gave us the push we needed to move out here as it was like moving to another country. great for the surf as no mater the wind you can usually find a decent wave and not far off the consistency you find here on the east coast

Originally Posted by ozoz
I came to australia for the waves as one of my main reasons, My local breaks back in england where in n yorks whitby, scarbs

only did my learning on a longboard on the east coast and never in the winter, just seen your pic...hood, booties n gloves thats one thing i dont miss..lol
but the waves do get epic. did you see the photo in feb surfing life?
did have a few missions on the east coast couple of years ago when i was back visiting family, got up to bamburgh and had some nice waves next to dunstanburgh castle with not another person in sight, would loved to have got in at staithes cove but never did and had some nice waves down at withernsea of all places.

the comment i made about if oz had no surf i wouldnt be here is purely hypothetical as this country has many great things to offer but once you surf you never want to be away from the ocean.
Nah never seen the feb issue of surfing life, did the ne coast get in the issue...would love to see that as i know most of the local talented boys gary, oli etc - most cod heads lol. Anyone up for arranging a pommy surfers meet up probably on the nsw east coast anytime soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.