British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Any UK Retirees Living in Australia ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/any-uk-retirees-living-australia-434506/)

glazfolk Mar 14th 2007 7:22 am

Any UK Retirees Living in Australia ...

I wonder if anybody can give me some advice/info.

I emigrated to Australia in 1984 after some 12 or so years in the teaching profession. Next week I'll be age 60 and should start to get my teacher's pension paid monthly.

One problem. Teachers pensions tell me that the pension is subject to UK Income Tax. The Australian Tax Office say I have to pay them tax.

This can't be right ... I can't believe the same income is taxed twice (won't be much left for me if it is!).

Can any expat retirees living in Oz and drawing an occupational pension scheme from the UK shed any light on this one for me? Thanks in advance.

Geoff

Grayling Mar 14th 2007 7:32 am

Re: Any UK Retirees Living in Australia ...

Originally Posted by glazfolk (Post 4516594)

I emigrated to Australia in 1984 after some 12 or so years in the teaching profession. Next week I'll be age 60 and should start to get my teacher's pension paid monthly.

One problem. Teachers pensions tell me that the pension is subject to UK Income Tax. The Australian Tax Office say I have to pay them tax.

This can't be right ... I can't believe the same income is taxed twice (won't be much left for me if it is!).

Can any expat retirees living in Oz and drawing an occupational pension scheme from the UK shed any light on this one for me? Thanks in advance.

Geoff

There is a 'double taxation' agreement between UK and Australia which means that you are only taxed in one country. You can claim credits against Australian tax for any tax paid in the UK.

Check this out with the UK inland revenue.

G

Hutch Mar 14th 2007 7:35 am

Originally Posted by glazfolk (Post 4516594)

Geoff

My dad's in the same boat as you (retired teacher too) and yes, he pays tax on his pension. Even worse, thanks to a ridiculous bit of red tape, your pension will not be index-linked from the day you start drawing it. :ohmy:

Grayling Mar 14th 2007 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 4516629)
My dad's in the same boat as you (retired teacher too) and yes, he pays tax on his pension. Even worse, thanks to a ridiculous bit of red tape, your pension will not be index-linked from the day you start drawing it. :ohmy:

The OP is talking about an occupational pension Hutch.

This remains index linked if that is part of that particular scheme.

The UK old age pension is the one that is not index linked.

G

glazfolk Mar 14th 2007 7:51 am

Grayling,

Thank you for your swift reply. It's assuring to know that I'll only have to pay tax once. :)

I fear a mountain of red tape to be cut through to sort this out, but feel confident now at least that there will be light at the end of the tunnel. Not sure exactly how I go about contacting the Inland Revenue (they're quite big!) but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks again,
Geoff

Wendy Mar 14th 2007 7:56 am

Originally Posted by glazfolk (Post 4516669)
Grayling,

Thank you for your swift reply. It's assuring to know that I'll only have to pay tax once. :)

I fear a mountain of red tape to be cut through to sort this out, but feel confident now at least that there will be light at the end of the tunnel. Not sure exactly how I go about contacting the Inland Revenue (they're quite big!) but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks again,
Geoff

If you follow this link you'll be able to find an International number for one of the offices in the UK. I'd say you'd be best looking for the one near where you lived in the UK and they should be able to either help or forward you onto the relevant one.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/local/individ...al-numbers.htm

Grayling Mar 14th 2007 7:58 am

Originally Posted by glazfolk (Post 4516669)
Grayling,

Thanks again,
Geoff

There is a form available (on the Inland revenue website) which you will need to complete. I think it is number FD2....but you will need to check that.

G

glazfolk Mar 14th 2007 8:09 am

Wendy, Grayling ....

More thanks for your assistance. Much appreciated. :)

Geoff

glazfolk Mar 15th 2007 4:26 am

Just to update ... I've found the forms you were referring to, Grayling, downloaded, completed and mailed off today.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, otherwise I had no idea where to start ... I made my original post with a horrible sinking feeling approaching despair ... now I at least feel a lot more realxed about it. :)