Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any UK Clinical Psychologists working in/moved to Melbourne?

Any UK Clinical Psychologists working in/moved to Melbourne?

Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Rakhee M is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Any UK Clinical Psychologists working in/moved to Melbourne?

Newly qualified Clinical Psychologist (from UK). Recently moved to Melbourne with permanent residency. Currently waiting for my qualifications to be assessed by The Australian Psychological Society before i can register with AHPRA and practise as a Clinical Psychologist over here (a somewhat long and isolating process). Would be great to hear from anyone who has undergone a similar experience.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any UK Clinical Psychologists working in/moved to Melbourne?

I have but I'm in Sydney?
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 77hil
I have but I'm in Sydney?
Hello. Great to hear from you. Could i ask how long it took for your quals and registration to get the 'ok' before you could practise? Did you have any issues or was it a relatively straight forward process? i'm currently waiting for stage 1 (APS assessment of my quals) before i can apply for registration with AHPRA (stage 2 of the process). I'm hoping the DClinPsy is considered 'equivalent' to the Oz Clinical Psychology training, but I don't know anyone else who has undergone the process so i'm really not sure. I have read (on the AHPRA website) that they are bringing out a national exam next year...
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Usually it is pretty straight forward. APS takes 6 weeks but this is for general registration. To register as a Clin Psych I then had to get reassessed by the APS Clinical College. This may now be done by the PBA. Some UK applicants, in rare circumstances have been told to do one extra placement before being allowed to fully register as a Clin Psych.

Overall this can be a long process better done in the UK before you get here but at least soon you'll be able to register as a psychologist at least.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:53 am
Just Joined

AM1408 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I'm still in UK (counting days til i get to Melbourne!) but had to go thru this recently so might be able to help.

APS took 8 weeks to come back with the assessment of qualifications - my DClinPsy and BSc were assessed as equivalent to 6-yr Australian degrees so that was all relatively straight forward.

AHPRA registration was more complicated! I was anticipating this so started it whilst here to make sure i can work ASAP... It took about 3 months to sort. They are v particular and my advice is to follow the requirements on the form to letter. If you're already there thou, will have more people to certify your copied documents than in uk. They want transcripts send direct from your unis, good standing certificates from BPS and HPC in Uk, passport, Id etc. As your newly qualified I can foresee one issue I'm afraid - to register as clinical psy you need 12-months pq experience and evidence of pq work experience, supervision & cpd details & supervisor letters. You should be able to register as a psy, but getting the clinical in front of your title might be more complicated.

I'm not there so can't really comment on their view of uk training but the bits of contact I've had have been REALLY positive so I'm sure you'll have success.

Good luck. Hope this helped.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Good to hear from you! Thanks for your comments. I only qualified in October 2011 and moved to Melbourne in November 2012 due to my husband starting work here in Melbourne 1st December 2011. I missed my graduation in U.K. and only just got sent my DClin Psy certificate end of January 2012 so unfortunately i wasn't able to start the process before i left. Gosh AHPRA have asked for 12 months post-qualification experience! If this is the case, it will certainly be a longer process for me - which is quite concerning.

Did AHPRA take 3 months after you submitted the application for 'general registration'?
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Usually it is pretty straight forward. APS takes 6 weeks but this is for general registration. To register as a Clin Psych I then had to get reassessed by the APS Clinical College. This may now be done by the PBA. Some UK applicants, in rare circumstances have been told to do one extra placement before being allowed to fully register as a Clin Psych.

Overall this can be a long process better done in the UK before you get here but at least soon you'll be able to register as a psychologist at least.
Thanks for the information. Did you undergo your qualifications assessment/registration a few years ago? Did you have to apply via AHPRA?
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AM1408
Hi. I'm still in UK (counting days til i get to Melbourne!) but had to go thru this recently so might be able to help.

APS took 8 weeks to come back with the assessment of qualifications - my DClinPsy and BSc were assessed as equivalent to 6-yr Australian degrees so that was all relatively straight forward.

AHPRA registration was more complicated! I was anticipating this so started it whilst here to make sure i can work ASAP... It took about 3 months to sort. They are v particular and my advice is to follow the requirements on the form to letter. If you're already there thou, will have more people to certify your copied documents than in uk. They want transcripts send direct from your unis, good standing certificates from BPS and HPC in Uk, passport, Id etc. As your newly qualified I can foresee one issue I'm afraid - to register as clinical psy you need 12-months pq experience and evidence of pq work experience, supervision & cpd details & supervisor letters. You should be able to register as a psy, but getting the clinical in front of your title might be more complicated.

I'm not there so can't really comment on their view of uk training but the bits of contact I've had have been REALLY positive so I'm sure you'll have success.

And yes - has helped. thanks very much
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Sorry i forgot to ask when you arrive? Would be great to meet up?
Can i also ask what you did in relation to 'transcripts' as the DClin Psy at sheffield do not issue transcripts. I have asked the uni to write a letter confirming this so that i can send to AHPRA when i eventually submit my application for 'general registration'.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:34 am
Just Joined

AM1408 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rakhee M
Did AHPRA take 3 months after you submitted the application for 'general registration'?
Afraid so!

Don't panic about lack of pq experience - you'll still be able to register as a psy (just not a clin psy yet) and should be eligible for grade 2 posts, where you can try to get supervision from AHPRA-approved supervisor and then get the clinical endorsement 12 months later.

WRT transcript - had similiar issue with my DClinPsy but course did me a rather detailed letter listing my placements, overview of lectures and assessments. They'd done this before and it was just what AHPRA wanted - just make sure they send it direct, not to you.

Im not there til August so guessing you'll be well settled by then but feel free to PM me.

Last edited by AM1408; Mar 2nd 2012 at 9:36 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rakhee M
Thanks for the information. Did you undergo your qualifications assessment/registration a few years ago? Did you have to apply via AHPRA?
I applied under the old system about 3 years ago but even under that system newly qualified people at times did have to do extra placements. At the end of the day the main hassle is upgrading your registration from "psychologist" to "clinical psychologist" so you will be able to work soon enough just not get paid as or call yourself a clin psych.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 12:17 am
Just Joined

I applied under the old system about 3 years ago but even under that system newly qualified people at times did have to do extra placements. At the end of the day the main hassle is upgrading your registration from "psychologist" to "clinical psychologist" so you will be able to work soon enough just not get paid as or call yourself a clin psych.
Hi. Oh i see. thanks for this - helpful to know. Hope your enjoying working in Sydney.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Im not there til August so guessing you'll be well settled by then but feel free to PM me.
Hi. I have PM'd you. Thanks
Old May 19th 2012, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

ztjt2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I've been reading the posts as I am in the middle of this process from the UK looking to move to Melbourne. Would love to hear how people got on and if anyone knows what the job market is like for CP's in Melbourne.

I have done the APS bit which approved 6 years equivalent study but am now going to do the rest with the PBA and AHPRA. I'm 10 years qualified and trying to figure out whether to just give them info from the last year or for more years than that. Have people found they approve UK clinpsychs ok?

I'm grateful for any advice
Zoe
Old May 19th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I know two clinical psychologists here in Aus and they both had to do doctorate's.

As for jobs I think we are down by the head with psycholgoists here, every second student is studying it these days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.